Uncle Mike's IWB

This is a discussion on Uncle Mike's IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm seriously considering getting an Uncle Mike's IWB (nylon) to carry my Walther/Manurhin PP. However, I've heard several people say that Uncle Mike's is not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Mike's IWB

Uncle Mike's IWB

I'm seriously considering getting an Uncle Mike's IWB (nylon) to carry my Walther/Manurhin PP. However, I've heard several people say that Uncle Mike's is not worth investing.

Can everyone give me their opinion on Uncle Mike's holsters?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    There are six main reasons why I think your Uncle Mike's IWB holsters should not be on any serious carrier's list of holsters to buy.

1. Retention
    Let's face it. Their holster retention just stinks. You put your gun in the holster, wiggle it just a little bit and your gun will fall out. Yes, having it IWB will add some retention but you very well COULD loose your gun on a trip or while running in such a holster.

2. Security
    With such shoddy retention comes horrible security. Your firearm is just not secure in the holster. Not to mention the method by which it attaches to the waistband is very weak and easily broken. People have broken UM holsters just putting them on and taking them off. Imagine what would happen if you had a scuffle with someone trying to take your gun. You would not be able to keep your holster and therefor your gun in place which is the most important aspect of firearms retention in a gun grab kind of scenario. You have almost no security other than knowing it won't drop down your pant leg while you walk.

The belt fed ones are a LITTLE better but only in the sense that instead of breaking they tear and then are completely useless..lol

3. Cant
    Depending on where you carry your firearm it should be canted to hold the grip at such an angle to make it naturally accessible. A behind-the-hip holster should have about a 30 degree cant, give or take. SOB should have more. Strong side should have less. But the UM holster has no cant and if you are putting it behind the hip you simply won't get the cant you need for proper grip and presentation. At least not as quickly or efficiently as you would with a better suited holster.

4. Ease of drawing and reholstering
    Drawing might not be too hard but, lets face it, you are NOT going to get a one-handed reholster with a UM IWB holster without really working that muzzle into your side and digging around (it makes me cringe just thinking of it). It just isn't going to happen. If you need to for any reason (even a class) you just aren't going to be able to do it.

5. Trigger guard protection
    This is a bigy for me. If you take an UM holster and put your firearm in it and squeeze it from front to back it will gap and allow you to drop things down the holster and into the trigger guard. Yes, it is better when held on the body but for me it's just too soft and pliable. To me, this is dangerous. No matter what kind of gun, no matter where it's placed on the body or how it's handled, if you can't get something into the trigger guard you can't shoot the gun, period. But the reverse is also true. If something CAN get inside the trigger guard it means there is potential for a negligent discharge and that is completely unacceptable to me. My personal requirement is that a holster should have a sturdy, reliable means of completely covering the trigger guard allowing NOTHING to get inside of it.

6. Quality
    An Uncle Mike's holster is not going to last you. It's just not. I have worked in the gun industry for a while and seen UM holsters fall apart in a matter of days. The clips break, the stitching comes undone, the barrel or trigger guard wears a hole right through the material. And on and on it goes. In a number of years you are going to end up buying 2 or 3 or 4 holsters which will add up to the price of one good quality holster that could last you a lifetime.

I have always told customers in the past that if they want to start carrying right away and that is the only holster they can afford to go ahead and get it but to only use it as long as it takes them to save up for a better quality holster.

I'm sure a number of them didn't take my advice and I'm sure there are lots and lots and lots of people out there carrying with this kind of holster but I will never recommend them.

And this is all just Lima theory.

I used one until I found the IWB that I wanted. IMO, they are better than not having a holster but that's about it.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Thanks, Lima. I really do appreciate the guidance. You may very well have saved me from buying a crappy holster. Thanks again.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Administrator
    I'll sum up Lima's very good post rather quickly; They are junk, Save your money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I'm seriously considering getting an Uncle Mike's IWB (nylon) to carry my Walther/Manurhin PP. However, I've heard several people say that Uncle Mike's is not worth investing.

Can everyone give me their opinion on Uncle Mike's holsters?

This might help. This very question was asked very recently.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-Mike-Holsters
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I sometimes CC my S&W CS45 in an Uncle Mike size 15 IWB soft holster. Works for me.
    For God, Family and Country!

First holster I bought till I could get a better retention one. Now it's my night stand holster.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" Wayne LaPierre

We've all learned some lessons about holsters over the years. Save your money and get a good holster; Pure Kustom, Milt Sparks or any of the other holster makers on this forum.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I used one until I found the IWB that I wanted. IMO, they are better than not having a holster but that's about it.
    Uncle Mike's nylon holsters?
    Actually, if I had no holster, I'd rather carry my Glocks bare naked between my pants, belt, and skin on an empty chamber than use one of 'those'. While at the same time....I've used Uncle Mikes kydex mag pouches very effectively. Oh......I had one of the soft Uncle Mike's (soft) holsters at one time...that's why I'm telling you what I am now. Back in the day when I didn't know what I do now. After many years rolling around in my holster drawer for who knows what reason, I sent it off to the girls in Washington state at their request for crappy/unwanted holsters for training purposes. (Anyone remember that?) Best purpose that holster could ever serve IMO. Glad it's gone and put to better use. To educate someone else on what not to buy for a holster. Save your money for something else....anything else.

I often carry my 3913 appendix IWB. I didnt realize they were junk the few years it was my only holster. I have other holsters now yet still find myself reaching for it when I want a thin easy to install holster. Is it a $125. custom no will it work and do I think they are worth the $15 ish they cost sure why not

I tried an Uncle Mikes IWB holster many years ago and I can tell you, it was total crap. It didn't stay in place, the clip was weak, and if you did un-holster, there's no way to re-holster the gun.

Go with something else. Uncle Mikes isn't even fit to be a range holster.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    This might help. This very question was asked very recently.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-Mike-Holsters
    Thanks, Tally.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What limatunes said!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

As I've said before, they are NOT a long-term solution. However, if you're waiting on a "real" holster to be made/shipped, a cheapo Uncle Mikes or Blackhawk! nylon IWB holster is perfectly OK for the time being. It's certainly better than no holster, and virtually disposable at only $10-15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links