Looking for a different IWB

This is a discussion on Looking for a different IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently use a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 1911's and am happy with it but I would like something in all leather as well. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a different IWB

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar

Looking for a different IWB

I currently use a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 1911's and am happy with it but I would like something in all leather as well. I have tried summer specials from Wild Bill and the Beltman with reinforced mouths but the holsters collapse just below that point and make holstering and reholstering almost impossible. The Mernickle I have has a steel reinforcement in the mouth but the sweat guard is very flimsy and folds over the top of the holster. This phenomenon is caused by my love handles which aren't going away in the next few days. Can anyone, from personal experience, recommend a good quality leather IWB that allows easy one handed holstering that I don't have to wait a lifetime to receive. I'm also not interested in spending $150.00 or more for a holster.

2. Remove Ads

Sir, please consider one of my Isotope 7 Concealment Holsters. I have 5" 1911 in stock, ready to ship. And they're not $150, currently.

Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I have a UBG Canute holster for my SIG P220 SAO. It's pretty stiff. No double reinforcement at the top though. I think with almost anything you could get in all leather is going to collapse somewhat especially being worn inside the waist band. Most of us EDC-ers are not concerned with re-holstering. If we need to remove the gun, we generally get a holster that can be easily removed with the pistol intact. I have on occasion removed my carry pistol while leaving my carry holster in position (times I need to go to the courthouse or such). Maybe your quest for something in all leather is because you're thinking something in all kydex just couldn't be comfortable at all. Kydex can be comfortable, or at least something you can deal with just simply for a "one-handed" re-holster. I think this is where things might lead for you. Something in leather worn IWB, especially if you're supporting a full size (steel) semi-auto like a 1911, and being able to re-holster, is going to take some long searching. I'm sure it's not impossible, but how comfortable could a holster like that be once found? I'm just sayin'. Spoutin' out what I usually think. I'll leave you with this link. If you've got to have leather, you've got to have leather. Thing is, I've used it personally, and I can tell you, it won't collapse. Excellent support, and one-handed re-holstering. Comfortable for me. Thinking outside the box is what's gotten a lot of us to where we are today with carrying and our gear. Good luck.
    http://www.desantisholster.com/store...wse&ctg_id=975

Check out Pure Kustom's work...Natures Kydex.
    http://www.purekustom.com/purekustomholsters_new.htm
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Never had one of mine collapse. Brownell's has them in stock for about $90.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Odd, my Summer Special II stays open for a one hand reholster. In any event, I'll second Pure Kustom. Rocky is very talented and his leather holsters do not need a reinforced mouth. They are rock solid and the mouth stays open for reholstering. I have a Black Ops IWB/OWB combo and the mouth stays open with no problem. It also has superb retention. I am a firearms instructor for my dept and had a fellow instructor try to remove a redgun from my Black Ops (OWB at the time). He couldn't get it out and I did not make an attempt to retain the firearm. I trust them better than a thumb break. Rocky is also a pleasure to deal with and will answer any questions that you may have.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    +1

This guy has some awesome offerings, quality looking leather for sure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I use the DeSantis Cozy Partner for 1911 and Glock 22. Reholstering is very important to me because I carry while baleing hay, bush hogging and other farms chores where I shoot vermin and need to be able to reholster on the go. The Cozy Partner will collapse a little but still allows for easy reholster. I am in Jacksonville visiting a family member in hospital and have had the G22 out of the holster and the holster on for hours while at the hospital. Still reholsters fairly easy. My wife has the FIST model 20 and I don't think you could get it to collapse.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My Alessi PCH works great. When it was first introduced back in (I think) 2003, it was widely heralded because of it's overall comfort and thin profile. A neat feature is that the holster does not use a steel insert in order to reinforce the mouth of the holster and keep it open when the gun is drawn. Instead the leather itself is constructed in such as way that it props itself up.

The comparison has been made to a traditional arch where it is the weight of the stones themselves that keep the thing standing and supported and not mortar. Anyway, the end result is a great holster that is both thin, comfortable, and fully functional.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

Take a look at my Double Snap or Double Clip with reinforced mouth.
    http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/DblClip.htm

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/DblSnap.htm

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Odd, my Summer Special II stays open for a one hand reholster. In any event, I'll second Pure Kustom. Rocky is very talented and his leather holsters do not need a reinforced mouth. They are rock solid and the mouth stays open for reholstering. I have a Black Ops IWB/OWB combo and the mouth stays open with no problem. It also has superb retention. I am a firearms instructor for my dept and had a fellow instructor try to remove a redgun from my Black Ops (OWB at the time). He couldn't get it out and I did not make an attempt to retain the firearm. I trust them better than a thumb break. Rocky is also a pleasure to deal with and will answer any questions that you may have.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    +1

This guy has some awesome offerings, quality looking leather for sure.
    Thanks for the props guys. I really appreciate it.

I have about 6-7 of these holsters for various firearms... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm

Easy on/off, easy one-handed re-holstering, quality leather, reasonably priced, and quick delivery, usually 4-5 weeks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I appreciate all the responses. I have just placed an online order with Secret City Weaponeers for the Isotope 7 IWB. I will let people know my impressions after I receive it. Thanks again.

Within two hours after I placed the online order with Secret City Weaponeers I received a pm on this forum and an email from Mr. Taylor stating that my holster was already boxed and would be shipped Monday morning USPS priority mail.

I have a IWB from Adam's Holsters and i love it. great product at a great price.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links