Easiest Carry Position

This is a discussion on Easiest Carry Position within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any particular positions that is easier to carry in or perhaps harder? I got my class coming up and will be picking up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easiest Carry Position

Easiest Carry Position

Is there any particular positions that is easier to carry in or perhaps harder? I got my class coming up and will be picking up a G36 soon after. I was thinking about carrying it appendix in a high noon or about 3:30 with a crossbreed or minotaur(I think MTAC if i recall).

Any insight as to what may be a good starting position would be helpful.

2. Remove Ads

It's going to be a real person-specific decision. There is no one size fits all. Every body is different.

you've got to try 'em all to figure it out yourself.

A lot of people carry behind the hip; from 3:30 to about 5:00, just depends on your body.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It's going to be a real person-specific decision. There is no one size fits all. Every body is different.

you've got to try 'em all to figure it out yourself.

A lot of people carry behind the hip; from 3:30 to about 5:00, just depends on your body.

I agree with the above. Try it you'll like it
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Like everyone has said thus far, it all depends on you. I like strong side carry around 3 o'clock actually. I already have my favorite for appendix carry.

IMO the G36 is a little big for appendix carry. It'll be poking you when you bend over or sit down. I have carried a 19 and 26 this wa and it become uncomfortable for me. I found the best way to carry my Glocks is IWB or OWB at 3:30-4. All day comfort and it puts my handgun in roughly the same spot as my duty rig for muscle memory on the draw.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I find that appendix is best for a small framed hand gun for me(Its also my favorite way to carry.). That usually is my Kel Tec PF9. When I carry my Glock 26, its usually IWB sitting at 3 o'clock. I got a holster coming in soon that will hopefully allow me to carry my Glock 26 appendix comfortably. But like everyone else says, try different spots and see what feels good. I thought I was gonna like to carry at 5 o'clock until I tried it out one day at home. I didnt like it. YMMV
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I carry AIWB in a Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy, here is the link if you are intrested: http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/...m?productId=12

I have not tried any other IWB method, this is my favourite way and I figure if it aint broke yadda yadda yadda

FWIW I love my G23 at 3:00-3:30 in my Comp-Tac CTAC holster. Everyone is different though.

First of all, you're going to love the Glock-36.
    I carry it either at 3:30 or 5:30 (with a palm out draw).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agree with retsupt99 - I suggest you start at 3:30, which is an easy position to learn and use, and then experiment. The 36 is very versatile, so the real limitation will be how many holsters you're willing to buy. :)

I carry my 26 at 3:30. I've tried other positions but always end up coming back to 3:30.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

For deep carry, I've started using SmartCarry with my 36. It's surprisingly comfortable and hides well. It helps that I'm a good sized guy (34-36in waist, 32in inseam). There's no pinching or poking when sitting though a girl's eyes would probably go very wide if they're checking me out. I can also pull off appendix carry with it though during the summer I'm not about to throw on a cover garment in 90+ degree weather. In the past I've been more inclined to carry in the 4:00-4:30 position with a Crossbreed SuperTuck, though nowadays if I can cover I'll appendix carry.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

It will depend on how you weigh the three sides of the traingle. Comfort, access, concealability.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    In my case, I carry my HK USP Compact at 4:00 in a Galco IWB Summer Comfort holster and I also carry my Walther P99 at 4:00 in a Desantis Scabbard Belt OWB Holster. When I purchased my guns I went to the gun shop and tried out several holsters with it and placed them in different positions to test them. You have to consider that you will be sitting down, crouching, bending, driving, going to the restroom and un-holstering and re-holstering but as mentioned above, it all depends on each person (dress type, size, weight, preference, holster type, etc.).

For a Glock 36, I would recommend you try an OWB pancake holster and wear it somewhere around 3:00 and 5:00.

There's broad variation, including "appendix carry" and cross-draw, but most people fall into the 3:30 to 4:30 range ( or 7:30 to 8:30 for the lefties). I carry IWB at about 4:00 (EST).
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links