How to smooth rough leather?

This is a discussion on How to smooth rough leather? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CBST knock-off - very happy with the fit, the draw, etc. I am not too happy with the back of the holster ...

Thread: How to smooth rough leather?

I have a CBST knock-off - very happy with the fit, the draw, etc. I am not too happy with the back of the holster that is rough in some areas and when it is hot/humid it really bothers my back. Obviously adjusting it all the time is not an option.

When I say rough, I would compare it to maybe half the length of the threads on a bath towel. Weird, I know - but trying to give you an idea.

So, how can I smooth out this rough leather? High grit sand paper?

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    If I were you I would apply a generous amount of this http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...ure=Product_37 and use a hard smooth object to smooth the leather. This should take care of i!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Big O is right on track depending on how you want it finished. Gum Tag will slick down the leather but if it's really fibrous like you said I think your going to end up in the same place in short order. On some of my personal rigs I've used some leather that wasn't good enough for customers and it sometimes has a well longer knapp I guess. Anyways I've always just sanded it down or taken a round knife and shaved it down to a normal finish. Since I doubt you have a round knife sandpaper should work for ya;) I would say somewhere fairly harsh around maybe 320ish grit. Then after that feel free to go after it with Gum Tag if you think it still needs it, may be fine without too since sandpaper tends to soften the surface just a bit anyways in my experience.

Take care!

Luke

OK, I'll give some 320 or better a shot. It isn't all over the back, just in a couple spots.

Thanks all.

I like my IWB holsters rough. It helps to hold it in place. I always wear a tank top under my cover shirts anyway.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

It's done with a rough finish for a reason. "to keep the holster in place (close to the body) during draw". Many holsters are made this way.

I don't believe he's complaining that it's rough side against the body, I think more likely he got a piece of leather that the knapp isn't consistent on, as a result he's either got areas that are rougher than most of the piece. Could also be hard spots depending on the leather they used to make the holster.

On rough side leather topic, I'm personally not a fan. The constant abrasion of rough leather against my skin, or even against my boxers for an all day carry method is just not an option. Feels like torture to me, maybe I'm a wuss or just skin is sensitive but it feels like sandpaper against my body in my opinion. Also you will find that the majority of inside the waistband rigs are not rough side out and it's not because rough out is any harder to do(it's actually easier, and you don't need as good of leather to still have it look "good").

Just my own 2 cents. Every person is different and if you prefer rough side to the body then have at it, but it's certainly not for everyone;)

Take care!

Luke

I don't believe he's complaining that it's rough side against the body, I think more likely he got a piece of leather that the knapp isn't consistent on, as a result he's either got areas that are rougher than most of the piece. Could also be hard spots depending on the leather they used to make the holster.

On rough side leather topic, I'm personally not a fan. The constant abrasion of rough leather against my skin, or even against my boxers for an all day carry method is just not an option. Feels like torture to me, maybe I'm a wuss or just skin is sensitive but it feels like sandpaper against my body in my opinion. Also you will find that the majority of inside the waistband rigs are not rough side out and it's not because rough out is any harder to do(it's actually easier, and you don't need as good of leather to still have it look "good").

Just my own 2 cents. Every person is different and if you prefer rough side to the body then have at it, but it's certainly not for everyone;)

Take care!

Luke

Sponsored Links