Defensive Carry banner

Best Gun Belt for the Money

145K views 162 replies 133 participants last post by  Stetson 
#1 ·
What is the best gun belt for the money?

Crossbreed
Belt man
bullhidebelt.com
5.11 Tactical Leather or Instructers
Others?

I don't tuck in my shirts very often so looks are not that important. Function and price are the bigest factors to me. I don't like the looks of a real dressy belt though.

#62 ·
Right now I'm rolling with a Blackhawk Rigger's belt that pulls double duty for paintball. To be truthful, as far as paintball goes, it rocks. For concealed carry... meh - look elsewhere. I'm currently looking into other options with the Wilderness, A&G, and Beltman belts high on the list, but I'm keeping an open eye.

#63 ·
I just purchased a Gould & Goodrich off-duty/dress "gun belt" earlier this week (due to loosing weight I needed a new belt).

http://www.gouldusa.com/products/pr...ine+Concealment+Holsters,+Belts+&+Accessories

If you "google" their name and item number you will see it on line or if you click on their "where to buy" on their site.... it will take you to some maine retailers such as Galls and others. The pricing is between $40 - $50.00 or so plus shipping, but I am impressed with the belt I got.

While traveling the this week, I stopped into a local police supply shop and paid $52.00 for my black 1-1/2" belt and really like it. It is heavy duty and will not "roll-over" and will fit into my dockers, jeans and dress slacks (some double thickness leather belts will not fit through the loops in all pants... so be carefull). This belt is a "reinforced belt, so it will not sag over time. Even a "double leather" belt will sag at some point... but I guess that one may gain or loose weight before the belt gives out? A leather & polymer belt will not bend or even "conform" to your waist due to be "rigid"... which is what I wanted.

Just another option at a reasonable price to consider.

#77 ·
Ok guys, as of 11/1/10, my new G&G (Gould & Goodrich) gun belt is going back - what a disappointment!!!!

After 2 weeks, it has started to sag and not remain in a straight line/form... as a "reinforced" gunbelt should... especially one for $52.00.

I called G&G, on 10/29 and was told that their "reinforced dress belts" are leather with a polymer backing (not polymer sandwiched between two leather layers)!!! This G&G belt looks like a "zig-zag" belt which has formed to my waist and holster only after 2 weeks - wow!!! G&G said I could send it back and they would look at it... but I stated that it looks like it is made fine, it just sounds like they have failed to make a "reinforced belt" that is truly "reinforced"!!

I will be calling the out of town retailer I bought it (bought while I was traveling) and will ship back for a refund.

I will be ordering the following belt on Monday as it is a truly "leather and polymer" stiffened belt.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum9563.php

I will be ordering the Aker brand "reinforced" dress/gun belt in black and 1-1/2" (model #B21) from the lik above. I know I am paying a dollar or two more, but to save on shipping, they have another item I want and they happen to have it in stock as well.

Do not buy the G&G brand "reinforced" dress/gun belt as I have had a bad experience with it only after 2 weeks of wearing it!!!

Thanks,

#67 ·
#68 ·
A&G all the way! Custom made, economical, rigid and well made, and very nice to look at.

#70 ·
said it once will say it again, wilderness original instructor belt. I bought mine new in 1996 and I am still wearing it every day to hold my concealed carry weapon, it has carried a couple revolvers, 1911, bhp, and a couple glocks over the years

#72 ·
I have or have had several "gun" belts. My thoughts (perhaps worth what you paid for them):

Beltman: Extremely well made, but way too thick. Wouldn't fit several of my holsters.

Cabelas "Double Duty": Nice belt for the money, but again too thick.

Blackhawk Alligator finish: Inexpensive. Works, but looks and feels cheap.

Liger: Fantastic belt. Works great and holds up well. Has "grabby" surface which keeps holster from moving around. Unusual buckle may not be to everyone's taste.

Galco Matrix MX1: A "sleeper". Works very well as a gun belt, but does not feel stiff like others. Is holding up well and was very inexpensive. Only available in 1-1/2" black.

#75 ·
Has anyone tried the Frequent Flyer Sport or Easy-Fit Instructors belt from Wilderness? I was looking on their website, and it seems as though they are much more flexible on sizing. Thats been my biggest drawback, and one of the largest reasons I haven't ponied up for a nice gun belt, is my weight tends to fluxuate, and I'm in the proccess of trying to lose weight.

One would assume the extra "belt tongue" that overhangs could just be velcro'd over a holster clip if appendix carrying or ?

#76 ·
If your loosing weight or it flucuates.... it all depends.

I drilled a few extra holes in my Looper brand gun belt that I bought this January when I got my CCW... and starting this summer I lost 40lbs. After a while the "loose end" was too long... so I just bought a Gould & Goodrich gun belt at a local police supply. I only wear belts that are kydex or polymer reinforced or similar. "Double thickness" leather is too thick and will not always fit through belt loops nor would my cell-phone clip "clip" over the belt!!!!!

The adjustable "Wilderness brand" belts and similar belts allow for adjustability... but obviously up to a point. Depends if your an IWB or OWB kind of guy and if your weight goes up from normal or down from normal?

Most "adjustable belts offer 1-1/2" of adjustability from what I have read... and that is usually only 1 or 2 holes being drilled in a leather belt which if it comes with the standard "5 holes" to begin with, is not that much or many.

Good luck,

#78 ·
I have the Aker B21 in Black and in Brown. It's a very good belt and supports my Glock 19 in an OWB pancake very well. For anyone in the Phoenix area, these are available at Universal Police Supply in Tempe, AZ for $41.50 now. I bought both of mine from the same place, but they were $49.99 when I purchased them.

They look and feel like high quality leather belts. The internal polymer stiffener does its job. I've only had these belts for a few weeks. So, I cannot comment on long term wear.

I did read on another forum a post from a person who said he's been wearing his B21 everyday for three years, and it's now time for a new one. So, perhaps they won't last a lifetime - but three years is pretty good. Especially considering I was able to get one brown and one black for less than the cost of a single custom job

(though. I understand that more than double the cost for two custom belts that would last 10 years would be more economically feasible over a long period of time... because of some recent custom holster purchases, I just don't have the extra spending cash at the moment, yet still need a good nice looking stiff leather gunbelt -- for people in a similar predicament, the Aker B21 is an excellent solution)

Anyway, sometime in the future I will still probably purchase a Beltman or something like it, the wallet just won't allow it right now as I need 2 belts, 1 black and 1 brown.

In three years perhaps..?..

#83 · (Edited)
Just took delivery yesterday of my first (there will be more) A&G Custom Gun Leather belts and all I can say is WOW.........I know this may sound corny, but after wearing it out last night (wife made me take it off before we went to bed......bummer!) and all day today, it is like I purchased brand new holsters rather than a gun belt. Don't get me wrong, I have never bought cheap belts before, but this one just stands above the rest. Everyone of my holsters just seem to ride better with this belt. Al Childress was a real trooper to deal with and I can't say enough about his customer service and what a nice guy he is. If you are looking for a leather gun belt, you owe it to yourself to give A&G a call. I'm sure the outcome will be as good an experience as mine has been.

#88 ·
After reading this thread (and after wearing a gun on a belt I bought At Tractor Supply for the last six months), I finally broke down and ordered a dedicated gun belt, from the people at A&G leather. I'm really looking forward to this night and day difference I keep hearing about. So thanks everyone for the free educaiton; I'm really looking forward to a greater degree of comfort. Hopefully this will solve the Mystery of the Lower Back Pain that has been creeping up on me since my old generic belt started getting stretched out.

#89 ·
For me, the gun belt does not "reduce back pain"... it just provides a more stable platform for my firearm to remain firm and steady on my hip... and to keep my pants up. Inexpensive belts will sag, allowing your firearm to move around, bang into your hip (maybe this is where your pain is coming from) and loose or sagging pants are not a good "platform" for a comfortable days wear of your firearm.

Good luck... you will enjoy your new belt... it will be "night and day" when you try it out and wear it.

#93 ·
I've been following this thread for a while now, since we are in the gun belt business. I read alot of different opinions of what we like and what we don't like.

Obliviously, we want to please our customers. So what can A&G Custom Leather do for you that others will not or cannot do to please you. In your opinion, what can we do to improve our offering to you. Whether it be quality, pricing, delivery or styles, ect.

What would you like to see from us. We will do, within our capabilities whatever it takes to win your support and your business.

This is your opportunity to vent. Let us know what you want.

We as a small company will do whatever it takes, within reason.

I

#97 ·
I've been following this thread for a while now, since we are in the gun belt business. I read alot of different opinions of what we like and what we don't like.

Obliviously, we want to please our customers. So what can A&G Custom Leather do for you that others will not or cannot do to please you. In your opinion, what can we do to improve our offering to you. Whether it be quality, pricing, delivery or styles, ect.

What would you like to see from us. We will do, within our capabilities whatever it takes to win your support and your business.

This is your opportunity to vent. Let us know what you want.

We as a small company will do whatever it takes, within reason.
I doubt your going to hear any negatives about the way you run your business or your products in general as I've heard nothing but praise for either. I do have a couple of minor grievances that plague me with most belt maker's products. The distance of the keeper from the buckle and the length of the tongue being a bit too long. I wear a bunch of different makes of jeans & pants and most belts from different makers have the keeper so far from the buckle that it hits the first belt loop causing me to have to wear it off center. Maybe it's my waist size (34/35) but it bugs the crap out of me.

#95 ·
AZ;

Curved belts break in a few days faster but you pay extra for them for that luxury . But all belts will break in with the curve. They will contour to your body in a very short period. Take a look in your closet and I would suggest that you will not find a straight belt in your collection. They have all contoured to your body.

#102 ·
Gentlemen thanks for your comments. Let me address a few, if I may.

After the 1st of the year we are going to re-do and up date our website. At that time we will offer several sterling silver 3 piece sets for 1 1/2" belts. More embossing patterns and a couple of things that are still on the table, being worked on. Also we are bringing in the black Powder Coated buckles. Those should be in next week, hopefully.

KPW: The distance of the keeper from the buckle and the length of the tongue should be discussed with your maker at the time you place the order. As far as I know, there is no standard for these measurements. But I certainly can understand your frustration.

Wormy: Belt tooling is a true art. And I hate to say - one that is fast becoming a thing of the past. There are some great guys, out there, who do outstanding work but they are becoming harder to find. I've tried it, but realized quickly, that I do not have the skill to produce a near quality product.

These guys are true artist and when you find one - keep them in your roladex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.