Narrowed Down Holsters...Help?

This is a discussion on Narrowed Down Holsters...Help? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, So I have been carrying for a little over a year now and I normally carry a Sig p250 9mm IWB (3:30-4:00) and/or ...

Thread: Narrowed Down Holsters...Help?

Hello All,

So I have been carrying for a little over a year now and I normally carry a Sig p250 9mm IWB (3:30-4:00) and/or an LCP in weak pocket. I have been carrying the Sig in a cheap holster from CTD for most of the last year. I think it is time to upgrade.

I have narrowed my search down to the Don Hume H715-M W.C. and the MTAC. I know there is about a $50 difference between the two and I have read good things about both. Is the MTAC really worth $50 more?

Does anyone have experience with either of these holsters? Any input is much appreciated!

Links:
    Don Hume
    http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=35

MTAC
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Thanks!

JamesD
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

GM
    I really like the MTAC, and I might order one soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Is the MTAC really worth $50 more?

Quick answer...Yep!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I've got the Don Hume for an XD. Functional, but not the most comfortable. No cant adjustment, and that matters with my XD.
    I'm shopping for another one.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

The MTAC is fairly priced and good holster. Perhaps the best part is that it's enormously adjustable, so you can experiment with position, depth and cant to your heart's content. On the other hand realize that, since it squishes a bit, the degree of retention is affected by how tight your belt is. I usually have to loosen the retention scews quite a bit to make retention just right when under the belt.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I think the MTAC is the best non custom holster out there, but each body type is different. What is also nice about the MTAC is you can buy extra bodies, so if you sell your current carry piece, your only out another $40 to get a new body.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Let me give you a heads up. I used to own one of those Don Hume holsters. The problem I had was that whenever I tried to draw the gun, the holster came out with it. Those clip ons are a disaster waiting to happen. I would recommend a IWB holster that has belt loops you know will hold the holster in place. I'm not familiar with the other holster, but it appears it's clips curl around and under the belt, which would be for the better.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have a Don Hume belt holster for my PPS. Quality item.
    I also have the MTAC for my PPS. Also quality item.

I briefly had one of the High Noon IWB holsters, similar to the Don Hume in that it had a single clip. The weight of the PPS hanging from that single clip was a bit much, and your weapon is heavier than mine...

I'd go with the MTAC (but skip the Velcro options until they bring out the next verson...)

The MTAC looks similar to my Crossbreed but with the advantage of being able to change out the Kydex holster for a different weapon. Prices are about the same. My CBST is comfortable, as I am sure the MTAC is. Looks like MTAC has more advantages than CBST, go with MTAC and be sure you have a belt that is stiff enough to keep it from riding down, makes all the difference in the world for comfort and use.
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i carried in the don hume 715 for a while and even competed in idpa with one when i first started....never a problem...i also found that the gun can be canted when you want with a simple reach back and rotate the holster a bit...the clips always held tight and i never felt as though the holster was going to come out with the gun....reholstering was very easy also...for the money i dont think you can buy a nicer holster...

i abandoned the hume for a bladetech with straps that wrap around the belt after i watched 3 guys draw their clip on holsters during training events...i believe the clip on holsters werent properly worn to be drawn with the gun (one of them was a cross breed and i wouldnt consider one coming loose as a characteristic of that holster worn properly)...so i guess the more positive the attachment the better...if its possible to wear it wrong then its possible to get into trouble with it...

i cant get past the size of the crossbreeds and comptacs so i cant comment on comfort or use but i havent heard anything bad about either...i have not found any of my holsters to be uncomfortable regardless of how long ive worn them so i havent seen the need to get expensive...i also use a hume 721 ot owb holster and am very happy with the quality and function...

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    PM sent

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Thanks for the input! I am leaning CTAC. Does anyone know anything about the CTAC Spartan? It looks like a slightly stripped down version. I like that it does the same thing for about $25 less. I guess it is only $25 less.

Here is a link to the Spartan holster:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=102

Thanks!
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Let me give you a heads up. I used to own one of those Don Hume holsters. The problem I had was that whenever I tried to draw the gun, the holster came out with it. Those clip ons are a disaster waiting to happen. I would recommend a IWB holster that has belt loops you know will hold the holster in place. I'm not familiar with the other holster, but it appears it's clips curl around and under the belt, which would be for the better.
    I agree with this guy. I don't like clips, but, if you insist on clips, you're much better off with clips that curl around the belt. They need to be attached to the holster really well, too.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    PM read, reply sent.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Links