Thinking about a G27 as a BUG carry suggestions?

This is a discussion on Thinking about a G27 as a BUG carry suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a G23 that I carry in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster as my EDC. I am thinking about getting a G27 as a bug ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a G27 as a BUG carry suggestions?

Thinking about a G27 as a BUG carry suggestions?

I have a G23 that I carry in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster as my EDC. I am thinking about getting a G27 as a bug what would you guys suggest to carry it in? and how i.e. ankle holster ect...

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

The Glock 27 has a tad bit of weight so I would not carry it in an ankle holster. I most likely would use my Smartcarry or go with some sort of appendix carry on my weak side. The Glock 27 would not be my first choice though for a BUG. I love mine as a primary, not as a BUG.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    The Glock 27 has a tad bit of weight so I would not carry it in an ankle holster. I most likely would use my Smartcarry or go with some sort of appendix carry on my weak side. The Glock 27 would not be my first choice though for a BUG. I love mine as a primary, not as a BUG.
    What he said.

Plenty of folks would use it as a primary.

I realize a lot of folks carry a 27 as primary but its a bit small for me to use as a primary gun. While I realize there are much smaller guns available I love Glock pistols and want to keep with them for primary and backup.

Thanks for the ideas.

I've decided to stop using the term 'BUG'.

I carry two guns for a few different reasons. I prefer to think of it as 'another option', and more options are good, right?

I occasionally carry a G23, and did consider getting a G27 to compliment it. I still think it's an excellent idea. However, unless you're the size of Shaquille O'Neal, I don't think that ankle carry would work out to well.

I ran into a guy, once, who carried a G26 in his boot. It worked out pretty well for him. I believe that BikeRN has pulled off pocket carry of a G26, but I doubt that very many people can do that.

Like WhoWeBe; I would suggest a SmartCarry, or a 5.11 Holster Shirt; perhaps a left handed IWB holster or similar. Maybe a crossdraw holster that could be accessed by your strong hand, or presented cavalry style by your weak hand.

There are myriads of options, if you're creative you can pull it off, easily. Another item that I remember researching, but never buying, is the SpecGear Truss system.

Best of luck to ya
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Well, it's certainly wise to stick with the same platform and caliber for your BUG as your primary so in that regards the G-27 may be a perfect match for you. I too carry a G-23 as primary, however I stepped down to a subcompact 9mm for a BUG because the G-27 made my hand numb after shooting just two or three mags. (I have some prior nerve damage in my arm from a wrestling injury).

A nice thing about going with the G-27 is you can obviously use G-23 magazines in the G-27 so two or three G-23 reloads will work with both guns.

I would go with a weak side OWB or IWB holster or something for appendix carry. I also sometimes carry my BUG in a high chest mounted belly band type holster if needing deep concealment.

I also agree with others that BUG is kind of a loose term. Not necessarily for Back-Up only. My second gun may very well be the first gun I go for depending on the circumstances.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A while ago I also found myself in this spot, wanting to carry my G27 as a second gun to supplement my G23. I ended up carrying it on my ankle with in a Galco Ankle Glove. It was a comfortable holster but the weight of the G27 became very cumbersome when carrying for an extended amount of time. Especially for me if I was to do a bit of driving considering I drive standard and I could really feel the weight of the G27 after running a few errands around town. While it is nice to have the ability to share magazines between the two guns, have the same battery of arms, etc....etc... I just didn't find it practical to carry the G27 as a second gun.

For my EDC I currently carry one of my compact Glocks (19, 23, 30) IWB and my S&W M&P 340 .357 mag revolver as a second gun either on my ankle, in my front pocket, or somewhere on my weak side (IWB, OWB, AIWB). I find the 13oz M&P 340 to be much easier to carry then my G27 was and I sure don't feel under gunned with 5-10 rounds of .357 mag for a second gun. I also keep the same battery of arms since they are both DAO and have no external safeties.

If you are looking for a good second gun that is easy to carry I would suggest a .357 mag/38 spl +p J-Frame revolver and if you are looking for an auto I would point you towards the Kahr PM40. It offers 5 or 6+1 of .40 in a package much smaller and lighter than the G27. See them compared head to head here....
    http://www.kahr.com/dtlcomp_pm4043.html

I realize a lot of folks carry a 27 as primary but its a bit small for me to use as a primary gun. While I realize there are much smaller guns available I love Glock pistols and want to keep with them for primary and backup.

Thanks for the ideas.
    This may be off topic, but why do you consider the 27 too small for a primary gun?? The only big differences between them is the barrel length (3.5in for the 27 vs. 4in for the 23) and the capacity (9+1 for 27 vs. 13+1 for the 23). I for one can shoot my 27 just as accurately as my 23 even with the shorter barrel and I know I'm not alone in saying that. Also by adding a Pearce +1 grip to the 27 it gives you the same grip feel as the 23 while increasing the total capacity to 11 rounds therefore making it much closer to the 14 total rounds of the 23.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    A while ago I also found myself in this spot, wanting to carry my G27 as a second gun to supplement my G23. I ended up carrying it on my ankle with in a Galco Ankle Glove. It was a comfortable holster but the weight of the G27 became very cumbersome when carrying for an extended amount of time. Especially for me if I was to do a bit of driving considering I drive standard and I could really feel the weight of the G27 after running a few errands around town. While it is nice to have the ability to share magazines between the two guns, have the same battery of arms, etc....etc... I just didn't find it practical to carry the G27 as a second gun.

For my EDC I currently carry one of my compact Glocks (19, 23, 30) IWB and my S&W M&P 340 .357 mag revolver as a second gun either on my ankle, in my front pocket, or somewhere on my weak side (IWB, OWB, AIWB). I find the 13oz M&P 340 to be much easier to carry then my G27 was and I sure don't feel under gunned with 5-10 rounds of .357 mag for a second gun. I also keep the same battery of arms since they are both DAO and have no external safeties.

If you are looking for a good second gun that is easy to carry I would suggest a .357 mag/38 spl +p J-Frame revolver and if you are looking for an auto I would point you towards the Kahr PM40. It offers 5 or 6+1 of .40 in a package much smaller and lighter than the G27. See them compared head to head here....
    http://www.kahr.com/dtlcomp_pm4043.html

This may be off topic, but why do you consider the 27 too small for a primary gun?? The only big differences between them is the barrel length (3.5in for the 27 vs. 4in for the 23) and the capacity (9+1 for 27 vs. 13+1 for the 23). I for one can shoot my 27 just as accurately as my 23 even with the shorter barrel and I know I'm not alone in saying that. Also by adding a Pearce +1 grip to the 27 it gives you the same grip feel as the 23 while increasing the total capacity to 11 rounds therefore making it much closer to the 14 total rounds of the 23.
    My main concern with the G27 being to small for EDC is the grip size. While you can add the extender to fix that you basically end up with a lower capacity G23 so I never really saw the point to that.

I appreciate all the great suggestions I have some thinking to do...

Quote Originally Posted by schj98 View Post
    My main concern with the G27 being to small for EDC is the grip size. While you can add the extender to fix that you basically end up with a lower capacity G23 so I never really saw the point to that.

I appreciate all the great suggestions I have some thinking to do...
    Well yes and no. You kind of end up with a bobtailed Glock. As seen here...(Glock 27 with +1 grip over Glock 23)

But they aren't really that far off to begin with....

But back on topic....It's tough to find the right "BUG" or second gun and if you aren't careful you'll end up with a bunch of them like I did....(not pictured but should be included KelTec P32, P3AT, Kahr PM45, Ruger LCR, S&W 638, 438, and PPK/S)
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

BUGs come in all sizes and shapes, just like people. If you can deal with the size and weight of 2 Glocks go for it! For carry I usually go with Smartcarry or pocket carry. Printing doesn't count in Florida so it doesn't bother me if it prints. Just don't be suprised if you carry the G27 as a primary once you get used to it and look for a smaller lighter gun as backup or for those times you just can't hide a Glock.

For me, The M&P340 w/ CT is the gun I'm saving up to buy for my BUG.

Diablo9489, That is one impressive collection of pocket guns! I am trying to avoid the problem of having too many pocket guns.
    Question Everything!

Cool

Lots of choices out there. My only suggestion would be not to use an ankle rig unless you absolutely have to for reasons only you know. They put you in a very weak posistion from a tactical standpoint when drawing the weapon unless you are behind good cover. I carry my BUG in an off side cross draw High Noon IWB.
    Good Luck.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

My on-duty weapon is a G23. My off-duty is a G27. I have tried to carry my G27 as a BUG. It has worked, but lately I find myself slipping a Keltec P3AT in my support side front pocket. I understand why you would want to carry a 23 & a 27. It makes perfect sense, same platform, 27 will accept 23 mags and you have two very reliable handguns ready to go. But it is difficult to comfortably pull off IMO. For short term, yes. However, if you carry this all day long it could get to be a little much.

Best thing that I can think of (haven't pulled the trigger yet, yuck yuck) is a holster that I have seen on this forum. I believe that Rhome makes it. It is a support side spare mag pouch/holster. So you can go strong side G23, support side 23mag and G27.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/wp..._Pics_0252.jpg

I hope that the link works. This one is from Rhome's website. This particular photo is with a spare mag and revolver. But you can get the idea.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I like Ny27s suggestion....but I also like the idea of an SOB holster Left Hand over around the kidney. Think about 7-730 position with an extreme cant draw. Or maybe one of the Galco MOB holsters.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Carry in this, but off the spine (a palm out draw)... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/41.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links