What leather is the best???

This is a discussion on What leather is the best??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am no "kid" and I have carried for years in cowhide holsters. Now, I have read about leathers that are better then cowhide. Can ...

Thread: What leather is the best???

I am no "kid" and I have carried for years in cowhide holsters. Now, I have read about leathers that are better then cowhide. Can someone educate me as to what is the best, or at least better, leather for pistol carry? Horsehide? Sharkskin? Ostrich? Whatever? I don't want plastic type holsters.

I normally carry in a shoulder holster, but IWB carry is a strong alternative - especially during the hot, humid summer months.

Any suggestions?

None of the exotics can be used as structural leather. They are all tanned to be very pliable for the shoe/garment industry and consequently must be laminated to rigid structural leather like cowhide or horsehide. The exotics range in toughness from just decorative to VERY abrasion resistant. As far as the cowhide/horsehide argument, you'll get different responses from different makers. I think that both are viable holster material and I use them both. I think premium cowhide generally makes a finer holster. Horsehide can be very nice but the fine holster goal is not as easily repeatable because horsehide made for holster building is not the same area of a hide as premium cowhide. In addition, the weight or thickness variation in horsehide across the span of a common holster can be fairly great and as a result necessitate pattern stitch line changes. The thickness variation can also cause the twisting of a holster during the molding process.

You've just heard from one of the best....

On our end we are finding that it is very difficult to get good quality Horse Hide, anymore. We've tried several Dist but the quality just isn't what it used to be. Keep in mind that we only handcraft gun belts. Thus a larger (longer) pc is required. The hide, of choice, in our shop is Bull Hide and can be used to create a fine looking project.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    What Matt said. For leather brand. I use Herman Oak Leather. To me it's the best.
    Last edited by Pure Kustom; September 7th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    None of the exotics can be used as structural leather. They are all tanned to be very pliable for the shoe/garment industry and consequently must be laminated to rigid structural leather like cowhide or horsehide. The exotics range in toughness from just decorative to VERY abrasion resistant. As far as the cowhide/horsehide argument, you'll get different responses from different makers. I think that both are viable holster material and I use them both. I think premium cowhide generally makes a finer holster. Horsehide can be very nice but the fine holster goal is not as easily repeatable because horsehide made for holster building is not the same area of a hide as premium cowhide. In addition, the weight or thickness variation in horsehide across the span of a common holster can be fairly great and as a result necessitate pattern stitch line changes. The thickness variation can also cause the twisting of a holster during the molding process.

Yeah, what he said
    Overland Gunleather
    http://overlandgunleather.com

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I just purchased one of Matt's ISP-LP and I would say there is no substitute for fine cowhide.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

In the custom holster business, there are only 2 choices for quality premium cowhide. One being Herman Oak, and the other being Wicket and Craig. I use both for my holsters\.
    Randy

Do you holster craftsman use damp plated leather?

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    This is my only non-cow holster, a horsehide ISP-DD...I have to say, horsehide is great stuff...very rigid and very thin....my favorite holster for the j-frame. From what I hear, it's not that easy to work with and requires some real expertise. It was made many years ago by some Italian guy in Wisconsin...DelSkinni or something like that...wonder if he's still in the business.

We are in the midst of royalty with these makers posting....outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    We are in the midst of royalty with these makers posting....outstanding
    No. These guys are much better than royalty. They're skilled and hard working craftsmen.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Sponsored Links