Cheap OWB thumb break for a Hi-Power?

This is a discussion on Cheap OWB thumb break for a Hi-Power? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there DC. I have been lurking around this place for quite some time and I really seem to like it here. I will be ...

Thread: Cheap OWB thumb break for a Hi-Power?

Hey there DC. I have been lurking around this place for quite some time and I really seem to like it here.

I will be taking my CCW course in a few weeks and plan on using my Licensed Argentine FM Hi-power 9mm in a Full Moon Kholster.

However, I am taking a 4 day handgun course in February in which we are required to use an OWB holster. Since my method of dress doesnt really allow me to carry OWB, I dont want to spend much on a high-dollar holster.

I dont really plan on OC'ing, but if I ever decide to I would like the holster to have a thumb break as I assume only the high dollar holsters offer much retention. A thumb strap that rides between the hammer and firing pin (condition 1) would be nice for piece of mind, but it certainly isnt necessary.

I was thinking about this thing: http://www.ecrater.com/p/5729909/bel...r-for-browning

And the blackhawk: http://www.nightgalaxy.com/ProductDe...19BK-L&click=2

Anyone gone down this path with horror stories, or do you think this will be acceptable?

I wouldn't use either of those if you plan on getting anything out of the 4 day course. Both of those holsters look like they will flop all over the place with only one point of contact to the belt. You may be able to find a Cobra Tufskin pancake thumb break for around $20. At least it will hold your handgun securely.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Bianchi makes a nylon pancake holster that should suit your needs as well. My experience has been "If you buy cheap, you get cheap."

Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is, but even for training purposes I'd have a hard time putting a pricey classic like the HP in an el cheapo rig like the ones you listed. In a four-day course you will draw and unholster hundreds of times, and that little metal clip will neither stabilize the holster the way you want, nor will it reliably retain the holster.

For training, you really want a belt holster that is secured by belt loops, not a paddle or a clip. Assuming you can't wait months for delivery, then the mass-produced models are what you're looking at. If you absolutely need a thumb-break or some kind of retention strap, then the Bianchi Accu-Mold duty holster is a good choice, around $60. If decent retention without a thumb break is OK, then the Fobus belt models will serve the purpose for under $30. I've used these successfully for training, as they have a good ride height for me and with the proper gun belt (an absolute necessity for training, and a damned good idea on the street) they offer a rock-steady platform. Look at Wilderness Instructor belts or Beltman for reasonably-priced gun belts. 1.5" is the ticket.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I was able to find the Bianchi accumold for $26

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-...and-17854.html

Is this the same one you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by HiPower9 View Post
    I was able to find the Bianchi accumold for $26

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-...and-17854.html

Is this the same one you are referring to?
    No - the Bianchi 7105. Here: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=7105
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I think that the one from opticsplanet.net may actually be better. It has 2 points of attachment. It would be more stable on the belt than the one from bianchi. The one from bianchi appears to have only one slot behind the holster. It looks like it would wobble too much.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Why don't you get a Blackhawk sportster kydex OWB...it's a great rig for what you will be doing...I don't carry OWB much either but I used for for my P2000 off duty class...

Ah... whats 25 more dollars. I decided to go with the Bianchi 82 Carrylok. Who knows, I may carry OWB if I like it enough.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-...and-22142.html

When I carry my G27 OWB I use Bianchi 5 Black Widow with a thumb break. Works great.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-...and-22553.html

One of our retired Sgts has been making holsters for many years. He does outstanding work. He uses heavy leather. Note the evenness of the stitching. The holster below runs about $40. You're not going to find a better made, better quality holster for anywhere near double his price. This one has been carried a lot and it still is like new. Takes him about a week until the holster is in your hands.
    If you're interested in getting in touch with him drop me a PM or email and I'll send you his email address. When you talk to him if he doesn't have a mold for a BHP let me know and I'll get him one he can use.

183 FBINA

NICE piece of leather!!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    NICE piece of leather!!!
    I carried that holster on duty every day and quite a bit off duty for over 10 years. We had guys who had holsters he'd made and had used them longer than I and they still look like new. He uses very heavy leather. If it's not perfect he won't ship it. For his prices I don't see how he's making much money but it gives him something to do and he likes doing leatherwork.
    The one for the Glock is in mahogany. The one for my S&W 63 below is in brown. That one has actually had harder wear as I wear it hunting. It gets drug thru the brush in all kinds of weather but still looks like new. You can see a small mark on it which I got climbing over a fence and hitting it against a fence post. It took a pretty good hit but didn't cut the leather, just made a mark. I had him make this one with the exposed trigger and to ride just a shade higher than the Glock.

183 FBINA

Sponsored Links