Blackhawk Check-Six Holster

This is a discussion on Blackhawk Check-Six Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In searching for a possible concealment holster for my new XDm .45, I came across this from Blackhawk: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Che...,1153,1418.htm I may still have to go ...

Thread: Blackhawk Check-Six Holster

Blackhawk Check-Six Holster

In searching for a possible concealment holster for my new XDm .45, I came across this from Blackhawk:
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Che...,1153,1418.htm

I may still have to go to an IWB to successfully conceal this beast, but the Check-Six looks promising for some applications. Anybody out there using one? How do you like it?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    it looks like a great way to hide a gun behind you just to the side of small of back...but i dont see an advantage over a shallower angled holster at 3:30-4:00...and if it is brought around too far forward the length of the gun will show against the curve of your waist and print...a gun standing up a bit more presses tight to the body and the grip agled against the body hides well...the further behind you and more angled a gun is requires more draw time and creates more sweeping of real estate during presentation....

Blade, I understand all that, and thanks. I have a big box full of holsters, many quite expensive, that followed those rules, the best I could tell when I bought them, looked great, but just didn't work for me in practice. The XDm .45 is a joy to shoot. Unfortunately, the grip is so long that it presents a whole new problem for concealment. The Check-Six may indeed be "too much of a good thing," where forward tilt is concerned. Mas Ayoob and his girlfriend sometimes carry XDs with long grips, and they use holsters that have about a 20 degree tilt. She's only about 5 feet tall, so what will work for her might work for a short guy like me.

Check out "Highnoon Holster" company. They have a model called the "Slide Guard" which looks very close to this model, but has a "slide guard" piece of leather that protects the gun from rubbing against the side of your body. I have one and the wait was worth it (just got it two weeks ago after waiting for 4 months).

I got mine in cowhide/black and lined (to protect my gun and make drawing and reholstering easier).

Home page link:
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/

Slide Guard Model Link:
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...ide_guard.html

Hope this gives you some options and their website and FAQ section is very informative.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

I have one High Noon holster, and it seems to be a good one for the money. I'll revisit their site. Thanks for reminding me!

Take a look at the Comp-Tac Gladiator.http://http://www.comp-tac.com/produ...vfqlsjhamiu1o2

Thanks for the input, guys. I've ordered a Blade Tech belt holster for range/match/field use, and a Pure Custom Black Ops for concealment, after much research and cogitation.

Cop1, I had actually contacted Comp-Tac, and they are not yet set up for the XDm .45.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I've ordered a Blade Tech belt holster for range/match/field use, and a Pure Custom Black Ops for concealment, after much research and cogitation.

Cop1, I had actually contacted Comp-Tac, and they are not yet set up for the XDm .45.
    Good luck with yor choice... there are so many out there, you really can't go wrong.

The only down side to Comp-Tac products (which you did not buy) is that they are made from Kydex... and even on their website they state that leaving their gear in a car on a hot day will deform their products... which concerns me!!! If I have to leave a holster and firearm in my truck due to not being able to CCW in a particular place... then I may be screwed (IMO).

Now we all now why people have drawers full of different holsters... as they try out different ones for different occassions and different clothing options... dam, it gets expensive. Personally, I am waiting for Blackhawk Tactical to develop a holster for the Springfield XDm (they have them for the XD, and the XDm will fit, but the extra 1/2" will stick out the bottom which is not what I desire from a holster). I want 100% protection of my firearm and front sight.

Enjoy your purchase.
    Springfield XDM 40cal

FWIW, I've left several Kydex holsters in my pickup in the summertime, and have never had one damaged. Of course, I don't leave them on the dashboard, and I usually put a reflective dash-protector in the windshield, but I think they need to get upward of 150 degrees or so to melt or deform. Could be wrong; my Kydex holsters are all by Blade-Tech at present, but I did own a Comp-Tac for awhile, and I know it was subjected to summer temps in my vehicle at least a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    FWIW, I've left several Kydex holsters in my pickup in the summertime, and have never had one damaged. Of course, I don't leave them on the dashboard, and I usually put a reflective dash-protector in the windshield, but I think they need to get upward of 150 degrees or so to melt or deform. Could be wrong; my Kydex holsters are all by Blade-Tech at present, but I did own a Comp-Tac for awhile, and I know it was subjected to summer temps in my vehicle at least a few times.
    Just going buy what they publish on their own website: http://www.comp-tac.com/
    Click on the link and right at the top in the middle is a "warning"!!!
    Springfield XDM 40cal

I know; I've seen the warning, and I'm sure not going to tempt fate by leaving one in the sun. Too danged expensive for that, and I'm too cheap.

Links