What is the best way to store holsters?

This is a discussion on What is the best way to store holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am now the proud owner of my own collection of holsters (vs the husband's holsters which are in a box and drawer). After paying ...

Thread: What is the best way to store holsters?

Distinguished Member

I am now the proud owner of my own collection of holsters (vs the husband's holsters which are in a box and drawer).

After paying big bucks for a few custom hand made leather holsters, I am now wondering how to store them so that they retain their shapes. I know I am not supposed to keep the guns in them, so do you hang them, or stuff them with newspaper, what procedures do you people have on this?

I don't want them to collapse.

Thanks.

cammo girl;

There may be a better way to store your holsers but I just put mine in several "shoe boxes" and put them on a shelf in my closet. The leather belts I just hand in my closet. I've never had a problem and some are 15 or so years old. I think moisture is the culprit when it comes to leather.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Cammo girl;

Here's how I store my holsters (took the idea from my wife's shoe storage). Inexpensive, makes them easy to find; you can label each pocket.

I store holsters and mag holders here - works pretty well for me. Re: the leather issue - I only have a few leather holsters but they seem to hold their shape well stored like that. I just took a pic of the top half - I think it has 24 pockets.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Cammo girl;

Here's how I store my holsters (took the idea from my wife's shoe storage). Inexpensive, makes them easy to find; you can label each pocket.

I store holsters and mag holders here - works pretty well for me. Re: the leather issue - I only have a few leather holsters but they seem to hold their shape well stored like that. I just took a pic of the top half - I think it has 24 pockets.

What a great idea !

I keep mine in the gunsafe because of no humidity there.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member
    Yes, brilliant. I have, ahem.... many shoe boxes and shoe storage devices much like the one pictured.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quality holsters are very rigid. They will hold their shape unless something heavy is placed on them. Personally, I store mine in the drawers under my bed. Just lay them out in rows. About twice a year I give them a going over with saddle soap. So far so good.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have a hanging shoe tree in my closet next to the safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll second the shoe organizer, once I started making my own holsters I quickly realized how many rigs you can accumulate while testing and building out new holsters. I've got a smaller vertical one that you can get at Walmart, I think cost me $10. The nice thing is it's designed to holster 10 pairs of shoes I would say I've got well over a dozen holsters/mag carriers in it at the moment, maybe more haven't counted in quite a while. Either way kept mine allot better organized and I like the cloth because it allows everything to breathe. We travel and head south in the winter so we run AC allot of the year and normally our indoor humidity is quite low. If you live in a very humid area than you might want to get a dehumidifier or something of the sort.

Generally though clean, fairly dry and usually out of direct sunlight(depending on finish and color, most dyes bleach fairly quickly). Stiffness wise I just wouldn't put anything heavy on them for extended periods.

Luke

Allright Listen up Apply either Kiwi or any other brand Nutural Shoe wax on the holster's inside & outside on the leather, Let it dry a few minute's & them buff it off with a clean piece of tee shirt material, & then you can store the holster in an open air place, But NEVER in any plastic,or zip lock bags as they will hold moisture & cause the leather to rot in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I am now the proud owner of my own collection of holsters (vs the husband's holsters which are in a box and drawer).

After paying big bucks for a few custom hand made leather holsters, I am now wondering how to store them so that they retain their shapes. I know I am not supposed to keep the guns in them, so do you hang them, or stuff them with newspaper, what procedures do you people have on this?

I don't want them to collapse.

Thanks.
    Uh, I'm not supposed to keep my gun in my holster????
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Uh, I'm not supposed to keep my gun in my holster????
    Because leather tends to absorb moisture most people don't recommend storing guns in holsters. Also since a good tight boned holster touches a large portion of the surface of the gun, oils on the gun tend to absorb into the holster rather than staying on the metal. Since allot of firearm finishes work best with a thin bit of oil this tends to negate some of that protection.

That said, allot of guys do store guns in holsters without much issue, depends on how much sweat or moisture the rig has, etc too many variables. The one thing that holds true is that there are good reasons to not store them in holsters, and for most people that's good advice. Not to mention some of us have many more guns than holsters:)

Take care!

Luke

Sponsored Links