Lets talk 1911 holsters...........again :)

This is a discussion on Lets talk 1911 holsters...........again :) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I will be picking up tomorrow. It is my first 1911, and will be the nicest pistol ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I will be picking up tomorrow. It is my first 1911, and will be the nicest pistol that I have bought to date (I'm 27, and hope it only gets better). I live in Florida, and with the cooler weather on it's way, I should be able to start carrying it concealed. I do not want this gun to become a safe queen, or something that I feel I can't bring with me because it is too night. I got it to use it, and I want to do just that. Down the road I will get another 1911 and make it the "leave at home" but not this time. I really like the thought of a Fobus paddle holster, or something like the Raven Concealment in kydex...but I'm afraid of the amount of wear that will show on the slide. I have many CrossBreed holsters as well, and think one would be great for the Kimber, but again...the kydex. Leather would be a good option for slide protection, but I wonder about retention? Please chime in, and/or show pictures. How do you carry your 1911? I can't wait to go shoot her!!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

JD
    Administrator
    Don't buy a Fobus. You have a nice gun, why store it in a piece of crap?

The Fobus is not very well made, offers "not the greatest" fit and is not all that concealable. Check out any IWB with offset mounting points from UBG, HBE, CBH, look at the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC, as well as the Gladiator, UBG Regulator and multiple offerings from Desibens . Alessi is also making a very good product, a little more pricey than others but they make a really nice holster and their turn around time is very fast. Check out their CQC-S and other OWBs, I'm not thrilled with their IWB selection.

claybreaker0:
    There are many good leather holsters on the market that will work for your 1911. You can buy one off the shelf or go the custom route. The list for custom holsters makers would would fill a legal pad. Examples would be: Pure Kustoms, Milt Sparks, Josh Bulman, Alessi, Lobo, TT and Grizzly just to name a few.

Do a search and then take a look at their websites.

IMO leather is the only way to go with a 1911 but there are many options.

Good luck in your quest.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

You are absolutely right, both of you. I just found the High Noon Skin Guard holster, it seem very reasonably priced, and like it would work for what I need. What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with this holster? How about retention?

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...kin_guard.html

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    You are absolutely right, both of you. I just found the High Noon Skin Guard holster, it seem very reasonably priced, and like it would work for what I need. What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with this holster? How about retention?

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...kin_guard.html
    It's a high ride, personally I'm not to crazy for them but I've got a short torso.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I carry my Kimber Pro-Carry in a Milt Sparks VM-II. Very comfortable and retention I think is better than anything Kydex can achieve. No matter what you carry in, holster wear will eventually show up on your slide. The only way to avoid this is to never carry.
    The makers mentioned by JD are all good. I have a UBG Canute for my 4516, a HBE Com III for my 3913, a Brommeland Max Con V for my Kimber 1911 5" and Desbiens is making a Covert #2 for my Kahr 9. I also just bought a Del Fatti ISP-LP for my S&W 1911Sc Commander. Personally, I would never carry a nice gun in a piece of plastic.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Here's my two-cents!

Go to Brownells.com and order the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 for the gun. This is an excellent leather holster and a good short-term solution.

Then order the Milt Sparks VM-IIH (horsehide) IWB holster on 10/1 (he opens up orders on the first of each month and shuts down ordering a few days later). You will wait 6-8 months for this holster but it's well worth it. Comfortable, prevented moisture build-up on the gun during this Summer (don't live in FL but we had "Florida weather" all Summer after a rainy Spring).

The above two holsters are the most comfortable leather holsters that I've ever owned . . . and I have probably $1K+ of "mistakes" in bags/boxes here.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It's a high ride, personally I'm not to crazy for them but I've got a short torso.
    Thanks for pointing that out.................just when I thought I found "the one...."

Kimbers "KimPro" finish wears pretty easily even in leather. Kydex will kill it in a hurry.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I carry my Pro CDP II in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment. I like the leather, and the concealment is phenomenal.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Take a look at Tucker Gunleather's The Answer.

Similar to the CB ST and MTAC except:

More expensive but excellent quality
    Has a suede backing (very comfortable)
    option for leather lining inside Kydex shell to protect finish
    choice of mounting clips

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Kimbers "KimPro" finish wears pretty easily even in leather. Kydex will kill it in a hurry.
    I carried my Kimber in either a Milt Sparks 60-TK or a Supertuck but mostly in the ST. The KimPro finish only showed wear at the trigger guard where the kydex give the retention and the end of the frame. The slide is stainless on mine so it shows no wear from either.

This Kimber was carried in an IWB Brigade Leather holster for 2 years. It looks worse up close

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    I understand that you want to protect the finish and so on but a defensive handgun is a tool, it will be shot,handled, rubbed against things, and generally used, the finish will become worn, it gives a weapon character.
    With that said I carry my Para Carry 9 in a Galco Royal Guard and my TRP in a Raven Concealment Rig. I do not worry about retention with either one.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If you only want to buy a holster once....................5 Shot Leather..........John Ralston.......IWB Burton.......simply the best..........and priced right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links