Defensive Carry banner

Remora No Clip Holster- I am now a believer!!

83K views 251 replies 106 participants last post by  CurtisLemansky 
#1 ·
Okay, I doubted the claims on the Remora website and even some of the posts here. How in the world could this holster stay put and allow smooth draws while tucked in the waistband of a pair of drawstring shorts/ pants? Well, IT WORKS. I just got my Remora for my Glock G36 and have been used it while running around town the last couple of days. I quickly found that it works best when the body side of the holster is directly against the skin rather than against a t shirt or boxers. It does not shift or slip and allows a smooth draw while the holster stays put. Great holster for casual, non strenuous activities.

Attachments

See less See more
#170 ·
Indeed........thanks for the review TXcougar8000! Very extensive and explanatory. I like your rating system.
I have yet to try the Remora holster out with my full size P220. To tell the truth, I might not even attempt it. I got into the Remora holster specifically for my favorite pistol carried in it's best position for me. I'll guarantee it's not going to be for everyone and everything even though it's obviously impressed a lot of folks for their methods and means. It still fills a niche that apparently hasn't been filled before.
Each and every objective, descriptive, and honest review is important in others making decisions especially when they look to their peers to provide more useful information. Others experiences are always a piece of the puzzle now.

#171 ·
Ramrod, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, just got my #11ss today and it feels amazing. And the #2ss for the LCP might actually be what we needed to get the wife to stop carrying in a pocket holster floating in her purse (I know, please don't bother telling me how bad of an idea that is)

So, Thankyou again!

#172 ·
I had been thinking about getting a Remora for my G27. I already have a Desantis Superfly holster for it, so I tried taking off the velcro attached anti-print panel and tried using the Superfly as an IWB instead of a pocket holster. Works great.....!

So instead of buying a Remora, think about getting a Superfly which can do double duty as IWB or Pocket carry. Come to think of it, I bet the Remora would work ok for pocket carry too. Anyone tried it that way?

#173 ·
CCWFlaRuger. You sound so excited and optimistic. That's good. Like I was with my first Remora and still swear by it as the simplest, easiest, and most comfortable way for me to carry just about 90% of the time. Something like that, I just couldn't keep to myself. Truth be known.....the real gratitude should go to the owner/manufacturer, and every member who's made a reply or review in this thread. I should thank you for your post/review since it makes me feel good to know others have found something they've been missing and were ready to find.
normAK- you know....the Remora holsters were initially made for pocket carry.
Pocket carry, purse carry, etc...... Personally? I don't need to speak about my personal preferences when it comes to someone else' carry. I will however elaborate when specifically asked what I think. The thing is.......CC is a responsibility from the start, and it's an ever evolving ordeal once you get started. Where you start doesn't matter. Where you're going does. Choosing your methods and means is exactly the same as you choosing which pistol. Whatever works for you (at the time) is the best thing for you. Learning, growing, and adapting to change is something we should all do on a day-to-day basis. That's life, and if you carry, that's part of your life. You make the most out of it you can the best way you see fit.

#174 ·
Well guys, I'm now the owner of a Remora no clip with reinforced top for my XD. My sister bought it, and didn't really think it was gonna work for her. It seemed pretty comfy to me when I tried it out, so I agreed to buy it off her minus shipping. This might work out really great for me driving, better than my Undertech shorts since there is a bit more padding between me and the gun. It's kinda nice having the same gun in the family, we can all try each other's holsters out. I'll hafta give it a whiz next week and see how it goes, coz I was wearing pants today that are strictly OWB. hehehe

AND, simply because I got a new SD card reader to try out....photo:

#176 ·
Just want to chime in a follow-up here,

I've been traveling a little and haven't got back to this thread. I received my Remora holster(s) a few weeks ago and have been wearing my PM9 in one (4A) for a little over a week now. This holster is super comfortable and my slim PM9 just disappears in my waistline. I've been in jeans, shorts, dress pants, walking, driving/sitting and moving all over the place and this thing stays put. It's a snap to put on and take off, just stick it in my waistband and go. I'm a total believer in the KISS method and these holsters deliver. Alan had my holsters (and phone case) shipped out ASAP, service was top notch.

If you haven't got yourself one (or a few) yet, I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks again Alan! :hand2:

#177 ·
You know......I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle myself. Good of you to post your experience, glad things are working well for you and your carry. That's what it's all about. Funny thing your reply came about today.
Wife and I were headed for town this morning. She's been wearing her High Noon holster with G26 for a while now, and I caught her fidgeting around. She wears jeans as well, and I like her assets better in jeans actually. Okay....to the point.........she turned to me and asked, "where is my sticky holster?". Well, low and behold, her original Remora #6 just happened to be one of those I've been loaning out for others to try. Luckily, I had it downstairs back in the bag it came in. Not only that, but I had an Artemis #6 right next to it. I handed her the Artemis #6 and asked if this was the one she'd been missing. She put her G26 into it and said "yes.......but this seems to fit a lot better than I remember". I told her that it's been a while since she'd worn it. My wife has actually gotten away from wearing a belt for now (since it bothers her back), and the High Noon is a clip holster (that she still loves by the way), that pretty much demands wearing a belt. Simple as sin, she tucked it in, and we were ready to go. Some days just need to be simple. Lord knows neither one of us are the type to go to town or shopping in our pajamas or sweat pants like we see plenty of others do. Most days, my wife doesn't even want to get out and go anywhere if she can help it. Sometimes I insist. Either way, she was without the simple holster for a couple of months, and asked for it today. The High Noon holster is not forgotten by any means. Just that apparently today was a day that demanded a little less thought and adjusting things. If I could only read her mind on a day to day basis, I'd have everything laid out for her in the morning. I tend to fend for myself, and I've been accused of taking more time to get ready and go somewhere than a woman who has to have everything just right. I love my wife, and she likes things just as simple as I do. Today just happened to be the day she was missing her Remora holster. I had no intentions of doing a test. I'd forgotten about it myself. Luckily.......I'm not in the dog house tonight......I had the answer to the question. I consider myself lucky for a lot of things.

#179 ·
I also ordered a Remora on Jan. 13, 2011 and received a 'shipped' notice same day. I thought wow, what service, but on just checking (1/19/11) I found it didn't leave Fort Myers Fl. until 8:00 PM Jan. 18, 2011. Wonder where it's been for 5 days? Is this holster made outside USA and just getting to Fl.? Curious.

Joe

#180 ·
I asked before and I will ask again... has anyone trained with drawing and shooting on the RUN with this holster? I don't care about how it stays when you are doing day to day stuff, i want to know if it does it's job when you are running and gunning. last thing you need is to draw a weapon and holster. How does it perform?

#181 ·
Assuming normal pants and a belt there is no way the gun comes out of iwb with the holster. The outside of the holster is orders of magnitude stickier than the fairly smooth outside. Unless you are wearing baggy sweatpants with broken elastic i simply cant fathom this holster going anywhere on the draw.

#183 ·
good to know! if the only outside phsyical diff of a g30 and g30sf is the back strap, then i guess it fits the g30 fine too =D

after all this time, i still carry my g26 in my mr softy more than the remora cuz with the remora i have to have the belt a bit tighter to hold against my body.

#185 ·
Hey, guys after reading this thread I ordered one of these with the RFT for my LCP/bodyguard. It arrived yesterday so I thought I would give it a trial run so I carried the bodyguard stuck inside the waist band of my sweat pants for about six hours last night and was very pleased. There was no slippage of any kind and draw and reholster was smooth and easy even with the sweats and no belt. I have to say I am very pleased and intend to give it a good run trial this week end.

#188 ·
Got my Remora holster, standard (no Artemis, no RFT, no sweat shield), size #6 for Glock 26 as suggested by the website. On the packaging it lists the suitable guns and I noticed the list does not include subcompacts like the G26/27 which is not particularly reassuring.

Upon opening the packaging the first thing I noticed was the odd smell of rubber. This will probably fade soon. The second thing I noticed was just how sticky the holster is. It's not the bumpy texture that makes it sticky, it's almost like the inside of really weak tape. I'm not really sure why it is sticky, but I suspect the surface is covered in some kind of microscopic suction cups like a gecko foot that make it feel sticky without being wet. Pretty neat.

There is really no retention to speak of other than that provided by belt or elastic of your pants. In other words, if I put the gun in the pouch and then tilt it sideways, it falls out at a slant of 10 degrees or more.

Because this is a flexible holster I wanted to check to see if it was possible to pull the trigger from the outside. I took a pen and tried jamming it in towards the trigger. I was able to make the trigger move a hair but I had to push really hard and it was clear that the outside rubber surface was going to become aesthetically damaged before the trigger got pulled. So, I don't think that one needs to be worried about this under any practical circumstance.

How well does it stay in place on the body? Well, if I tuck it into my waist line it stays put, but the gun also stays put without any holster. My G26 will stay put even when tucked into nothing more than the loose elastic of boxers/briefs...but If I slowly jump up and down, it falls out, regardless of whether or not I am using the Remora holster or no holster. From my initial tryouts I honestly can't tell that it holds the weapon in place any better than just tucking it into my waistline without a holster, although I wouldn't want to do that because of the exposed trigger.

#189 ·
I just picked up one of these holsters about 2 months ago. I carry a fullsize 1911, all 2+ pounds of it with a regular belt and I haven't had a problem with this holster yet. I carry at least 8+ hours a day and I'm in and out of my car and usualy have to hike long distances through various terrains, that includes climbing hills and ditches. Hell it is so comfortable that sometimes I forget I'm carrying, now that says a lot with such a big gun. The best part is how easy it is to just grab the gun and go. I love it.

#191 ·
I'm using a #4. It covers the trigger, but the rest of the trigger guard is open. There was a bigger holster that covered the whole guard, but it was too big for my tastes, though otherwise it fit better. Gripping it is no problem.

#193 ·
Too much information! :gah:

#194 ·
I finally drank from the Kool-Aid. I wanted to get one for my PPS so I ordered a #5 from Alan. I only live about 2 hours north of him, but I was still suprised by how fast it shipped. Funny thing is, it works for my PPS, P2000, and Taurus 85 (not so much for the 1911). I'm very happy with this holster and I plan on getting one for the LCP. :danceban:

Good

Good

Good

Not so much :haha:

#196 ·
I guess I have a two questions regarding the Remora. I carry a Glock 26 and a Glock 19 at different times. I assume I will need two holsters and that is fine. I wonder about tucking. I know that the outside of the holster is quite sticky. I wonder how it will work when I tuck my T shirt over it and what will happen when I pull my shirt to draw. I guess my second question is about carrying during heat and humidity. I live in South Ga and there are days that Satan leaves us alove because its to hot. I will directly ask the two questions. 1. how does it tuck? 2. how is it in the heat against bare skin?

#198 ·
I will directly ask the two questions. 1. how does it tuck? 2. how is it in the heat against bare skin?
I can't speak with absolute authority on this. Since I have only worn it for 2 days. But I bought one for my wife's XD sc 9mm and my G19 fits fine. I actually like the way the G19 rides in it better than the XD. The XD rides deeper in the holster. I was outside working all day for the first time wearing it. It felt like it made me sweat more around where I was carrying. Did not slip a bit though. And really, anything pressed against my side while working would make me sweat. I would not consider it a hot day, but I sweat a good bit.

As for tuckable, it takes some work. The stickiness is somewhat of a disadvantage here. I think I could figure out an easier way with more time. But I managed to tuck my dress shirt in and carry it to church unnoticed. When I got home I attempted to untuck my shirt and draw. I stopped before I got to the draw part for fear or tearing the shirt. I managed to get the shirt away and draw. And in an emergency the shirt would just have to possibly get torn. But for practice I took my time pulling the shirt loose. Again, the holster did not budge. The only time it moved was when I moved it. I'm impressed. My wife wore it today with her XD. She swore she would never carry IWB, but she did not complain and seemed to like it.

I also bought the spare mag holders. I carried my P3AT IWB in one of them at work. I have to bend over and reach up a lot at work. Holster stayed right where I wanted it too. I did not intend to use them for the pistol, but it tucks in there and covers the trigger fine. Bonus. The mag IWB is actually the hardest thing for me to adjust to. It's new to me, so I'm still working out the bugs.

#197 ·
In the heat against bare skin, it will do just fine. I like sweating on my Remora holster. I constantly think of sweating on my leather holsters when I wear them. I carry appendix with the Remora year 'round, even in the middle of the river fishing with water above my waist. Tucking? Well, I don't tuck my shirt in over the Remora between holster and waistband, I just let my shirt hang over and bunch up. I'd say the Remora is a casual holster, a functional holster, and very versatile. I also believe the Remora may very well be the answer for those who might not adapt easily to other types of holsters.

#199 ·
How about some advice as to pros and cons of each model. I've sampled the #4 with a Kahr PM9 in the standard, SS and RFT/SS models. To me the SS has quite a bit more material on the top on both sides. The holster is longer overall. This made it have to be carried a little bit higher and that Sweat Shield poked through and printed on a thin t-shirt. The standard holster with a PM9 doesn't even leave THAT much of the PM9's slide exposed out of the top. I wasn't sure if the SS really was needed. Also, having a RFT seems like a no-brainer whether you ever plan to reholster or not, but is it? Any cons with the RFT? I briefly carried with the RFT at 4:30 and while driving and leaning back on the pistol the mag was released multiple times. I wasn't sure if the Kydex band was to blame. Does one retain better than the other? I also find that I don't exactly get the most positive grip on the PM9, but then again just about any holster obstructs the very small grip of the PM9. Anyone have any pics comparing the standard to the Artimus? Is the Artimus better for avoiding accidentally pressing the mag release?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.