Sportcoat carry

This is a discussion on Sportcoat carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an old Coronado Leather catalog, and I've visited the 511 tactical web site. Is there any company(s) that make Sport/dress coats with concealed ...

Thread: Sportcoat carry

Sportcoat carry

I have an old Coronado Leather catalog, and I've visited the 511 tactical web site. Is there any company(s) that make Sport/dress coats with concealed carry in mind? I know that most coats would probably cover a weapon, but I mean a dedicated option. I will soon start a new job that will require me to wear a sport coat. Thanks.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

2. Remove Ads

Do you mean like an inside pocket that would zip and hold your firearm ?
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I don't know of any garment makers specializing in sport coats, but find the right tailor and the world is your oyster.

Typically, though, sport coats are a looser, more casual fit than a suit jacket, and in reality one rarely buttons a sport coat. If you do feel you need tailoring, forget about picking something off the rack at Macy's. Off to a men's clothing store.

In the days before "office casual" and Dockers, I used to wear nice wool slacks. I couldn't carry on the job, but pretty much elsewhere. I had a private conversation with the sales guy at my favorite men's shop, and he let me know the tailor wouldn't freak out if I asked him to work on fitting slacks to accommodate an IWB sidearm. If you have any well-dressed detectives on your local PD, they'll know where to shop and get fitted.

My only problem with sport coats and concealed carry was that the satin lining would wear out in the area of contact with the holstered gun; you might consider having that area reinforced.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Best carry method for a sport coat is a shoulder holster system like the Miami Classic by Galco. Go to a Men's Wearhouse, take your shoulder holster with your handgun and test out which fits you best with your gun holstered. Once you choose a sport coat that suits you, then go to your tailor and have him to the changes you might need to better be able to carry your weapon and protect your suit. Another option is to purchase a pocket gun (Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P-3AT or snub nose revolver) and have your pants tailored to properly fit a pocket gun and a pocket holster (Desantis Nemesis). How about an ankle holster? I tend to carry to work a S&W 442 in a Fobus ankle holster and I rarely remember that it is there. I just buy my dress pants "boot cut" and loose around the legs at Banana Republic.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I think Jos A Bank still specifically tailors for CC also.

If you mean a sports coat with a "built-in" holster, I don't recommend it. While I have no experience with sports coats as such, I have tried "concealed carry" vests. I find that the weight of the gun makes the vest hang funny.

If you mean having a spots coat tailored to hang right over a gun in a belt or shoulder holster, any good tailor should be able to do that for you (just make sure they are comfortable with you wearing a gun while being fitted; Men's Wearhouse usually is.)
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Thanks y'all. Unfortunately, in my area, there are no tailors .
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

If you're willing to drive a little bit, there's a small town about an hour away in Louisiana named Ruston that has a tailor that can probably set you up.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

During my law enforcement career I worked plain clothes for many years, usually suits or sport coats. Here are some of the things that I did to maximize concealment and function.

1. Stick with full-cut jackets, allowing more room around the waist and torso. If necessary, buy a size larger than normally worn (this usually requires some minor alterations to sleeve length, etc).

2. Have a strip of light canvas sewn into the jacket lining around the waist and lower torso area. This helps to prevent printing and is also less likely to snag on the holster or weapon.

3. At the bottom front tails of the jacket have a couple of large fender washers sewn into the lining. The weight will keep the jacket hanging smoothly. Also, during the draw your hand can sweep the jacket away from the body and the weight will cause it to stay clear during the draw.

4. New trousers usually require hemming the cuffs to length. The material removed can be saved and used to sew up belt loops of a size that will accept a good gun belt (most dress and some casual trousers have small belt loops). The new belt loops can be mounted in locations that will not interfere with your holster placement, and other gear if used.

I found that since my clothing had been significantly altered for use in my employment the clothing costs and alterations were tax deductible.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Distinguished Member
    One factor that I find nice for jackets is black linings. With a black holster and gun, you can afford to wear it open at times and not have the thing flashing with any kind of a bend.

I like the point of Lobo above to get new larger loops sewn on. I like my new 1 1/2 inch belts for sturdiness, but many of my pants are not designed for that, or it is a scrunch to get the belt on. Thank you for the tips above.

When wearing a suit coat, I either use a SOB/IWB holster or a pocket holster. I have found vests and coats with built in pockets are not very stable and/or it's difficult to draw the weapon quickly.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I find that under a sports jacket, either my Bianchi x15 rig or my Aless'i Bodyguard rig hides my 1911 with no printing problem's what so ever & they are very comfortable.

I pretty much agree with all that Loboleather said. My suits were cut to pieces and rebuilt by the tailor. I was wearing 28" waist pants with a 42" full cut coat.

**I know it's an old thread**

But I was searching for the same thing. I came across this: SeV Sport Coat from SCOTTEVEST/SeV - SeV Sport Coat with Hidden Pockets

However, after reading the posts here I think I will go see a talior.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Links