Horseback Holster - Page 2

Horseback Holster

This is a discussion on Horseback Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having been on the back of a cayuse a time or two I opt for a crossdraw rig, or a chest rig. Crossdraw is what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Having been on the back of a cayuse a time or two I opt for a crossdraw rig, or a chest rig. Crossdraw is what was often favored by working cowboys back in the day.

Now I want my transporation to burn fossil fuel and leave oil spots instead of green apples.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Having been on the back of a cayuse a time or two I opt for a crossdraw rig, or a chest rig. Crossdraw is what was often favored by working cowboys back in the day.

Now I want my transporation to burn fossil fuel and leave oil spots instead of green apples.

Biker
    Thats pretty funny. But I would rather have full time 4leg ride , powered by grass from my lawn, and go back to carrying revolvers of a serious caliber instead of the weak anemic, underpowered stuff we have now. Im just old fashioned. If only I could put wooden grips on my glock.

Not to change the topic, but to change it anyway, always carry a First Aid Kit on your person, not in a saddle-bag, for the same reason.

I do feel funny packing a G36 in a modern Brommeland rig. I always kind of want a Vaquero in 44 mag, to match the Winchester 44 mag lever action I want to carry in a scabbard too. To match my pony, of course.

Tucker has some really fine rigs.
    http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The Bianchi Cyclone is a good holster for carry on horseback. It can be used crossdraw or strongside.
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=111

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    If the horse is not trained to gunfire a parachute might also come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    absolutley true! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Yep! I was working with a fella at a ranch that wondered out loud if he could shoot off "that" particular horse......

I said "Sure, one time".........

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've not been online to respond but all the advice was helpful. I believe I will probably go with a cross draw rig and probably a thumb break. My wife and I do endurance riding so riding 50 miles in a day isnt out of the ordinary so we travel pretty quickly down the trail. Besides if you come off the horse atleast the gun will still be attached.

On another note, like any fine true working horse, my horse neck reins and is very accustomed to gun fire from his back.

Now just to weed through all the choices of a sidearm, right now I'm leaning towards a GP100 in 357 mag. anyone else have good suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Now just to weed through all the choices of a sidearm, right now I'm leaning towards a GP100 in 357 mag. anyone else have good suggestions?
    That's my choice too.

It's been said that great minds think alike. I don't know if I have a great mind, but I certainly agree with your choice.

That's a fair choice. I personally like the 41 mag or 44 spl in a single action for the heavier bullets, and it's easier on the ears if it must be fired without protection. Also because I feel a single action is more durable. But, that's my opnion and choice, you can't go wrong with any revolver meant for field use.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I too prefer cross draw while riding.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Hard choice to beat for anything short of a griz. Even then, just wait until he stand up and shoot him up under the chin. That's what the eskimos use to do with polars with a .222 when they encountered them while hunting seals.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I'd like to say that I own horses, but the truth of the matter is that they own ME (I mean, who buys the feed, who cleans the corrals, who pays for the farriers, who buys their blankets for the winter, etc, etc who buys the 4wd dually to pull the big trailer???)

Now, back onto the topic of the OP: I have used a shoulder holster for my Ruger Redhawk, I have a custom cartridge belt and snap holster for my Taurus 444 Titanium and I have ridden this summer using my IWB with my Kimber 1911. I like 'em all, although I think the cart belt/snap holster is probably the most easily accesible. One thing to think about regarding a shoulder holster or IWB/OWB is how accesible is the holster when you have to wear overgarments due to bad weather?

Krammer makes a flap holster that you can wear on a belt--that seems like a good option--it protects the weapon from the weather, helps with retention during a horsewreck (had a few of those--have the scars and steel screw to prove it) and the belt could be adjusted to go OVER outer garments. Krammer Handgun Leather will custom fit the holster for you so you can get what you want for a sidearm.

One question about the sidearm--what are you worried about the most--big critters? (bears--.44 mag) crawlers (snakes--.357 or .44 mag with birdshot) or two-legged scumbags--.(high capacity semi-auto)?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links