Defensive Carry banner

Horseback Holster

16K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Guantes 
#1 ·
Hey Guys-

I have an unusual request for information.

I am looking for a holster to use while trail riding with my wife. It will most likely carry a 6 shot revolver in .357 magnum or .44 magnum, gun decisions could be made later but will be a modern double action revolver in a large caliber.

I was thinking a holster that could attach to my saddle would be more ideal than any other option as it would allow full movement in the saddle as opposed to a belt holster.

I suppose any belt holster with a snap closure could be used while riding.

Anyway enough rambling I figured I would ask if anyone had expierence with a holster used while riding.

Thanks
Josh

#2 ·
I rarely ride horses, but this holster looks interesting. I do ride an ATV a lot, and have been considering one of these for riding. The only problem that I can see, is that it might interfere with my binocular harness.

#6 ·
Keep the defensive firearm with the rider. It's too easy for a horse to spook, toss a rider, and run off with the firearm you need to handle what spooked the horse in the first place.
I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. In my former life,
PLS (pre-law school) I spent a fair amount of time horseback. My usual carry gun back then was a 4" Ruger Security Six, carried in a strong-side Bianchi thumbsnap holster. One other thing I'd mention: Elmer Keith saved himself from being dragged to death by a rank bronc because his revolver was securely tied in its holster with a leather thong. He was able to get the thong loose, draw the revolver and shoot the horse. Lots of folks like crossdraw for horseback, and I've carried that way, too. Keeps the gun butt off your ribs. That chest holster shown above looks good to me, too.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Take a good look at what Rob Leahy offers at Simply Rugged. Find the holster you like - and there are some nice ones for the N-frames - and add the "Chesty Puller Conversion" to make it a versatile rig. I believe this is one you see Clint Smith carrying his M29 in when he's on his quad (Thunder Ranch videos). Check out the "Flap Jack" as well. http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html

#7 ·
I ride frequently (several times a week generally) since my wife and I own horses. I carry with my EDC - A Brommeland Def-Con, but I think any quality OWB would work swell, dependent on your carry EDC. Mine is a G36. The Def-Cons are very hard to find, if not impossible, so that is why I recommended any quality OWB

#8 ·
I ride frequently (several times a week generally) since my wife and I own horses. I carry with my EDC - A Brommeland Def-Con, but I think any quality OWB would work swell, dependent on your carry EDC. Mine is a G36. The Def-Cons are very hard to find, if not impossible, so that is why I recommended any quality OWB
Same here. I only ride a couple times a month but most decent OWB work just fine. I've never needed a retaining strap or TB. As long as your holster has good retention, you'll be fine. I do find the scabbard types like the 55BN a little more comfortable on a longer ride than a tighter fitting pancake though.

#9 ·
I ride frequently, and wear a western cross draw style rig with a snap strap to keep the handgun ifrom coming out. A cross draw allows quick access by either hand and does not jam your ribs while riding. My holster will hold a model 29 six inch barrel 44 mag or Ruger Blackhawk. I do not like saddle holster because if you are seperated from your horse, you are without protection. If a wild animal spooks your horse, and you get thrown, you may need that sidearm to deal with what spooked the horse.

#12 ·
Those look cool in the movies, but hang too far down on the leg, gun will want to fall out, and it will annoy you by bouncing around when you ride, if you are a serious rider.

#14 ·
Could be. I just like the benefits of a cross draw that rides high on a good wide catridge belt for its comfort and function. I guess different things work for different people.

#16 ·
Having been on the back of a cayuse a time or two I opt for a crossdraw rig, or a chest rig. Crossdraw is what was often favored by working cowboys back in the day.

Now I want my transporation to burn fossil fuel and leave oil spots instead of green apples.

Biker

#17 ·
Thats pretty funny. But I would rather have full time 4leg ride , powered by grass from my lawn, and go back to carrying revolvers of a serious caliber instead of the weak anemic, underpowered stuff we have now. Im just old fashioned. If only I could put wooden grips on my glock.

#18 ·
Not to change the topic, but to change it anyway, always carry a First Aid Kit on your person, not in a saddle-bag, for the same reason.

I do feel funny packing a G36 in a modern Brommeland rig. I always kind of want a Vaquero in 44 mag, to match the Winchester 44 mag lever action I want to carry in a scabbard too. To match my pony, of course.

#24 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, I've not been online to respond but all the advice was helpful. I believe I will probably go with a cross draw rig and probably a thumb break. My wife and I do endurance riding so riding 50 miles in a day isnt out of the ordinary so we travel pretty quickly down the trail. Besides if you come off the horse atleast the gun will still be attached.

On another note, like any fine true working horse, my horse neck reins and is very accustomed to gun fire from his back.

#26 ·
That's my choice too. :smile:

It's been said that great minds think alike. I don't know if I have a great mind, but I certainly agree with your choice.

#27 ·
That's a fair choice. I personally like the 41 mag or 44 spl in a single action for the heavier bullets, and it's easier on the ears if it must be fired without protection. Also because I feel a single action is more durable. But, that's my opnion and choice, you can't go wrong with any revolver meant for field use.

#28 ·
I too prefer cross draw while riding.

#29 ·
Hard choice to beat for anything short of a griz. Even then, just wait until he stand up and shoot him up under the chin. That's what the eskimos use to do with polars with a .222 when they encountered them while hunting seals.

#30 ·
I'd like to say that I own horses, but the truth of the matter is that they own ME (I mean, who buys the feed, who cleans the corrals, who pays for the farriers, who buys their blankets for the winter, etc, etc who buys the 4wd dually to pull the big trailer???)

Now, back onto the topic of the OP: I have used a shoulder holster for my Ruger Redhawk, I have a custom cartridge belt and snap holster for my Taurus 444 Titanium and I have ridden this summer using my IWB with my Kimber 1911. I like 'em all, although I think the cart belt/snap holster is probably the most easily accesible. One thing to think about regarding a shoulder holster or IWB/OWB is how accesible is the holster when you have to wear overgarments due to bad weather?

Krammer makes a flap holster that you can wear on a belt--that seems like a good option--it protects the weapon from the weather, helps with retention during a horsewreck (had a few of those--have the scars and steel screw to prove it) and the belt could be adjusted to go OVER outer garments. Krammer Handgun Leather will custom fit the holster for you so you can get what you want for a sidearm.

One question about the sidearm--what are you worried about the most--big critters? (bears--.44 mag) crawlers (snakes--.357 or .44 mag with birdshot) or two-legged scumbags--.(high capacity semi-auto)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.