Horseback Holster

Horseback Holster

This is a discussion on Horseback Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys- I have an unusual request for information. I am looking for a holster to use while trail riding with my wife. It will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Horseback Holster

Hey Guys-

I have an unusual request for information.

I am looking for a holster to use while trail riding with my wife. It will most likely carry a 6 shot revolver in .357 magnum or .44 magnum, gun decisions could be made later but will be a modern double action revolver in a large caliber.

I was thinking a holster that could attach to my saddle would be more ideal than any other option as it would allow full movement in the saddle as opposed to a belt holster.

I suppose any belt holster with a snap closure could be used while riding.

Anyway enough rambling I figured I would ask if anyone had expierence with a holster used while riding.

Thanks
    Josh

I rarely ride horses, but this holster looks interesting. I do ride an ATV a lot, and have been considering one of these for riding. The only problem that I can see, is that it might interfere with my binocular harness.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Keep Holster on Rider

Keep the defensive firearm with the rider. It's too easy for a horse to spook, toss a rider, and run off with the firearm you need to handle what spooked the horse in the first place.

Administrator
    http://www.flealess.org/sharpsaddler...ags/index.html

http://www.difanisbackcountry.com/p-...y-stamped.aspx

http://www.russfawson.com/accessories/photos.php

This one is by Russ Fawson

You for sure can find more styles by Google searching "pommel holster" "holster horn bag" "saddle holster" etc...

Take a good look at what Rob Leahy offers at Simply Rugged. Find the holster you like - and there are some nice ones for the N-frames - and add the "Chesty Puller Conversion" to make it a versatile rig. I believe this is one you see Clint Smith carrying his M29 in when he's on his quad (Thunder Ranch videos). Check out the "Flap Jack" as well. http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfassel View Post
    Keep the defensive firearm with the rider. It's too easy for a horse to spook, toss a rider, and run off with the firearm you need to handle what spooked the horse in the first place.
    I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. In my former life,
    PLS (pre-law school) I spent a fair amount of time horseback. My usual carry gun back then was a 4" Ruger Security Six, carried in a strong-side Bianchi thumbsnap holster. One other thing I'd mention: Elmer Keith saved himself from being dragged to death by a rank bronc because his revolver was securely tied in its holster with a leather thong. He was able to get the thong loose, draw the revolver and shoot the horse. Lots of folks like crossdraw for horseback, and I've carried that way, too. Keeps the gun butt off your ribs. That chest holster shown above looks good to me, too.

I ride frequently (several times a week generally) since my wife and I own horses. I carry with my EDC - A Brommeland Def-Con, but I think any quality OWB would work swell, dependent on your carry EDC. Mine is a G36. The Def-Cons are very hard to find, if not impossible, so that is why I recommended any quality OWB

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I ride frequently (several times a week generally) since my wife and I own horses. I carry with my EDC - A Brommeland Def-Con, but I think any quality OWB would work swell, dependent on your carry EDC. Mine is a G36. The Def-Cons are very hard to find, if not impossible, so that is why I recommended any quality OWB
    Same here. I only ride a couple times a month but most decent OWB work just fine. I've never needed a retaining strap or TB. As long as your holster has good retention, you'll be fine. I do find the scabbard types like the 55BN a little more comfortable on a longer ride than a tighter fitting pancake though.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I ride frequently, and wear a western cross draw style rig with a snap strap to keep the handgun ifrom coming out. A cross draw allows quick access by either hand and does not jam your ribs while riding. My holster will hold a model 29 six inch barrel 44 mag or Ruger Blackhawk. I do not like saddle holster because if you are seperated from your horse, you are without protection. If a wild animal spooks your horse, and you get thrown, you may need that sidearm to deal with what spooked the horse.

gun.jpg

Heres a pic of my rig with my 41 mag BH. It will also hold a modern revolver.

I always just wore a buscadero rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I always just wore a buscadero rig.
    Those look cool in the movies, but hang too far down on the leg, gun will want to fall out, and it will annoy you by bouncing around when you ride, if you are a serious rider.

I never noticed any of those problems. It might also be how used to the rig you are.

Could be. I just like the benefits of a cross draw that rides high on a good wide catridge belt for its comfort and function. I guess different things work for different people.

I can see where some would prefer the advantages of the cross draw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links