How many people pocket carry spare mag?

This is a discussion on How many people pocket carry spare mag? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive been doing this a minus the dirt and lint that tends to have to get cleaned out every once in a while, Im wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people pocket carry spare mag?

Ive been doing this a minus the dirt and lint that tends to have to get cleaned out every once in a while, Im wondering if this is a not-so-smart thing to do?

I always pocket carry an extra mag when I carry my pocket rocket (P-3AT), but the mag is in a leather carrier...no problem.
    On rare occasions I have carried a 'second' extra mag for my EDC...just dropped in the pocket as a 'third'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I forget to put on the knife pouch with the extra mag in it then I'll drop one in my back pocket if I'm wearin jeans or next to my cell in that inner pocket pocket if I'm wearing slacks. I dont like lint though and clean out my pockets daily before I put anything in them.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

My lil .32 carries a total of 8 rounds. I've never carried a spare mag; never saw reason to.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Lead Moderator
    Pocket carry with a mag carrier to keep it lint and dirt free as possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I only pocket carry and have firearms that can handle same. I just do not like "things around my waist-be it a belt or a paddle or a clip. If, god forbid, I must defend myself, I simply find it incredulous (there is always the what if argument) that after firing 5 or 6 rounds from my revolver and semi respectively, I or my opponent will be in any position to be able to use or even need an extra speedloader or mag. I believe FBI statistics report that almost all such situations end with less than 5 shots fired (always what if). So to answer the question, I do not pocket carry extra mag and even if I could , I would not.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I only pocket carry and have firearms that can handle same. I just do not like "things around my waist-be it a belt or a paddle or a clip. If, god forbid, I must defend myself, I simply find it incredulous (there is always the what if argument) that after firing 5 or 6 rounds from my revolver and semi respectively, I or my opponent will be in any position to be able to use or even need an extra speedloader or mag. I believe FBI statistics report that almost all such situations end with less than 5 shots fired (always what if). So to answer the question, I do not pocket carry extra mag and even if I could , I would not.
    The majority of people here I believe you will find out are carrying a second mag mostly in case of failure of the first one for some reason or needing to immediately clear the firearm magazine due to failure and it is way quicker to drop the magazine and slap a new one in than it is to drop the mag set it down, clear the firearm and reload the mag. So yes I always carry a spare mag not cause I think I need 19 rounds but if you are taking the time and effort to carry a firearm an xtra mag is not that big a deal.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Senior Moderator
    My EOTAC pants have a pocket just for spare mags, no lint
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I always carry an extra mag but always in a mag pouch. (no pocket carry)
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

tball 1205.JPG

Gun in front right pocket. Spare mag in left front pocket.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I carry in the pocket, but working on getting a mag carrier. I shot some compressed air into the mag and huge lint chunk flew out.
    Springfield Armory Sub Compact 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    The majority of people here I believe you will find out are carrying a second mag mostly in case of failure of the first one for some reason or needing to immediately clear the firearm magazine due to failure and it is way quicker to drop the magazine and slap a new one in than it is to drop the mag set it down, clear the firearm and reload the mag. So yes I always carry a spare mag not cause I think I need 19 rounds but if you are taking the time and effort to carry a firearm an xtra mag is not that big a deal.
    By that time, I would be dead, anyway.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I usually carry a spare in a mag pouch. But, there are times I pocket carry. Especially, in my EOTAC's, where I usually carry TWO.

ETA;
    Here's a little scenario for those that only carry pocket pistols:

About a year ago my wife and kids were with me going to visit some friends. I had to stop and get gas on the way. When I pulled up to the pump and got out of my car, FOUR cars came flying in off the street and surrounded me. TWELVE GB types got out of said cars and began surrounding and talking $h!t to this old fat white man (ME).

I moved to a little more defensive position; (between the pump and rear of my vehicle). I spotted the three BGs that would be the lead attackers; so I focused primarily on them.

I pulled out my shirt tail so my 24/7 45 would be easily accesible. I reached down and flipped the safety off. Evidently, one of the guys on my flank standing behind his car saw what I did and signaled the three potential attackers to stop. After a couple of minutes deliberating what to do, they jumped in their cars and sped out of the parking lot.

From this experience I learned a couple of things:
    1. Even with 11rds in my gun and 13rds in a extra magazine I felt inadequate.
    2. I was certainly glad I wasn't trusting my "Family's" life to 5rds of 38; or 7rds of 380acp.
    3. I was glad my wife was armed as well.

I also realized that trusting "my" life with an inadequate handgun was one thing.
    BUT!!!!
    Trusting my "children's" life with a inadequate firearm was an entirely different thing.

If I'm the one entrusted to the safety of my wife and kids, I want to have enough gun to FIGHT!

A small belly gun might be fine (for me "alone"). However, a little, underpowered "pocket" pistol just will not cut it; when it comes to protecting my family.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    By that time, I would be dead, anyway.
    Being Dead does not figure into any of my plans

It is your choice to carry a spare magazine, but I do not train to die, I do not carry a pistol every day of my existence because I plan on departing from this life for any other reason than extreme old age.

I will try to give myself every chance that I practically can, no matter how small that chance may be to survive
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Cool

I carry a Diamiondback .380 BUG in a High Noon Pocket Grabber holster and a G-23 as primary. I like the second gun instead of a reload. I had a couple of old IWB roughout holsters that I had resized for a magazine by my local shoe repair lady and they work great I just never use them since I got the BUG. Cheap easy fix though for keeping the mags clean. I left the belt clip on so you can use them IWB.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links