CBST creak?

CBST creak?

This is a discussion on CBST creak? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CBST (horse hide) for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. When I first got it I wasn't that impressed but I've done some ...

Thread: CBST creak?

CBST creak?

I have a CBST (horse hide) for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. When I first got it I wasn't that impressed but I've done some adjusting and its getting better. What I can't seem to get rid of is the creaking of the leather. I've looked it over and attempted to locate what is creaking but have had no luck. Even sitting here at the computer if I move forward, or sideways, the holster creaks.

Now most of the time I don't think anyone else notices but I did have one of my office workers ask me what that noise was the other day, I told her I had my cell phone holster on my belt under my shirt, she was ok with that but still it is annoying.

Anyone have any ideas on this and how to make it go away?

Oh, and even though I'm old, I'm sure its the holster and not me.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I have the same holster for my G30.

The creaking will go away slowly over time, but leather is leather; it's going to creak when it flexes or rubs against things. In the case of the CBST, most of the creaking appears to come from the belt hooks rubbing against the leather. Makes sense, because these parts have the greatest flexibility/movement when you shift your posture.

There are some leather conditioners out there that can help a little but I've never tried any of them.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Yep, belt clips against the leather. You might see a shiny, darker area where the actual rubbing is occurring. A little baby powder or maybe graphite rubbed generously into these areas will cut the creaking down dramatically. Temporarily of course, but it should easily get you (quietly) thru the day.

Depends on where it's creaking;) I've found that jacked horsehide which is what they are likely using tends to creak more than cowhide, I think it's just a byproduct of either the material or something. Either way I've found two places on holsters that creak, clips or the actual rig.

Sometimes the clips will creak on the belt, you can try allot of things to stop this, normally I go over the belt with some Kiwi neutral shoe polish. Gives it little lubrication against the belt and stops the creaking. Depends on the clips and allot of other variables though.

If it's the actual rig you gotta find where it's creaking, it's gonna be two points coming into contact, may be pants/belt pushing against the leather somewhere, but based on the construction of the super tuck I would suggest it's probably one of the points where the kydex is attached. I would probably use shoe polish again to try and lubricate the surface just a little and allow it to slide without noise.

Both of these are temporary fixes but your wearing a natural material, well combined with man made, but still the materials will change with age and wear, not to mention they are exposed to the environment. You might have to do something like that from time to time but I've found once it's done usually goes a few months till it comes back, or I notice it again.

Good luck!

Luke

Thanks all, I've looked it over and haven't been able to figure out exactly where the creak is occuring but I'll try using some kiwi on the belt first and maybe use the process of elimination of the next couple of weeks.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

NE45, I love your siggy!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    All good advice.
    I just use mink oil or leather conditioner. Sure, it will darken the leather.

But like Marks says, "It's the ugliest, most comfortable holster you can buy."
    So, I don't worry about the darkening.

Mine doesn't make a peep. I do wipe it down with a good leather conditioner from time to time, so maybe that helps. Maybe try tightening the screws on the clips to stop them from rotating.

A little word of caution on any leather conditioner, the vast majority are not designed for holster leather, they were designed for tack frequently which is really supposed to be floppy, holsters aren't. Granted the design of the SuperTuck is a bit different than a standard holster but I'm guessing if the back lost it's support particularly near the sweatshield the holster could become hard to reholster etc. So the warning is go easy with any conditioning product, honestly I wouldn't use them. It's really easy to go too far and have a floppy holster. Your further ahead using a wax like Kiwi which has a small content of oil, it's hard to get so much into the leather that it becomes floppy, I'm sure it's possible but that's why I don't recommend doing it very often;) Also Renaissance wax has an excellent reputation and is recommended by some big names like Milt Sparks for use on their holsters. I personally haven't used it(yet, just ordered some to try), but I gotta admit that if someone in holsters like Sparks recommends it I've got enough respect for their name to give it a try and for that matter pass on the word.

So summary I wouldn't recommend oil and conditioning unless your in an odd spot where leather dry's and cracks like crazy, most cases it's counter productive. Try wax you might like it;)

Take care!

Luke

Well putting polish on the belt didn't do the job. It seems to me that Luke is right and in this case the creaking is coming from where the kydex is connected to the leather, it seems tight but something in there has enought room to cause the creaking. It reminds me of how a saddle creaks. (no cracks about me being the size of a horse either) I'm gonna keep looking though.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NE45 View Post
    It seems to me that Luke is right and in this case the creaking is coming from where the kydex is connected to the leather, it seems tight but something in there has enought room to cause the creaking.
    I'll be shocked if this turns out to be the case.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links