Nevada Gunleather Avenger Review

This is a discussion on Nevada Gunleather Avenger Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I recently got a browning hi power mark III and wanted a decent OWB holster for range use, as most of my 1911 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Nevada Gunleather Avenger Review

Hello all,

I recently got a browning hi power mark III and wanted a decent OWB holster for range use, as most of my 1911 concealment holsters fit it perfectly. I also didn't want to wait for the holster which cut down my options. I decided to go with Nevada gunleather as most of their holsters are in stock.

First impression of the holster is its well made. The leather seems very thick and the top is reinforced. It does not collapse when the pistol is out of it. There is also no sweat guard, but that isn't much of a problem. The holster is at a pretty extreme cant which I also don't like. I paid an extra $9.00 for "suede" lining. If I had to do it over again I would skip that option. There is no sight channel built into these holsters and the "suede" lining is all but scraped out where the front sight contacts the holster. As a matter of fact pretty much anywhere the gun contacts the holster has scraped out the lining.

For $50 bucks (39.99 plus the 9 for the lining) it is an ok holster. It holds the gun secure and looks nice. The one thing that really threw me off was the instructions that came with it. They recommended that I soak the holster in cold water for 3-5 minutes, then put my gun wrapped in plastic wrap into the holster and allow it to dry. I have never seen a holster maker do this, as they are generally already wet molded to the holster before you get it. As I did not want to ruin the holster I did not do this step and it seems to hold just fine.

If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped nevada gun leather. I am curious how well it will hold up over time. For the same price I think a mass produced Galco or similar holster would have been a better option. I have attached a few pictures.

These white marks are where the front sight is scraping the holster

‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    There's no way you're going to get a Galco for $39.95. As usual, you get what you pay for.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I might not get one for 39.99 but I will get one for the $50 bucks I paid for this holster. Oddly enough in looking at the nevada leather stamp on the back it says these holsters are made in South Africa... So much for "Nevada" gunleather. The main reason I posted this was so people would know what they were getting. I remember when I first joined here I saw a post or two asking about this company with no responses. All in all its not a bad holster, I just don't like the extreme cant or the lack of sight channel.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    There's no way you're going to get a Galco for $39.95. As usual, you get what you pay for.

— George Mason

rathos;

I'm sorry you are having problems with your holster maker. Have you tried calling him and discussing the problems ? Maybe he just had a bad day.

Things like that make us all look bad and with the internet, these days, you certainly have to be careful of the quality you put out.

But like one poster said: You generally get what you pay for. I know that doesn't help but the next time you buy custom leather, check out the product and the comments made by others.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

That was the big issue. I googled my heart out and checked all forums that I know of. No one had ever posted a review or an answer to a question about Nevada gun leather. I mainly posted this to let others know about the company. As previously said, for 39.99 or even $50.00 its not a horrible holster, but others should know about the lack of sight channel as that could cause an issue with some aftermarket sights on pistols.

Taking a chance on a not so well known holster maker isn't always bad, I have a few TT gun leather holsters I ordered from Tim when he was still selling on Ebay. Really all in all for the money its not a bad holster, I didn't want to give that impression. I mainly wanted to let others know about this company and their products and what is lacking. If everyone thinks this is so inappropriate or are going to post things like , "you get what you pay for" I won't share this info in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    rathos;

I'm sorry you are having problems with your holster maker. Have you tried calling him and discussing the problems ? Maybe he just had a bad day.

Things like that make us all look bad and with the internet, these days, you certainly have to be careful of the quality you put out.

But like one poster said: You generally get what you pay for. I know that doesn't help but the next time you buy custom leather, check out the product and the comments made by others.

— George Mason

O.K., now here's my take on Nevada Gun Leather.

I was looking for an upside-down shoulder holster to accomodate the S&W Model 36 and its close variants and ended up on the Nevada Gun Leather website. That gents was a gross error. I should have kept looking for Galco or Bianci, or any of the other premium leather dealers, but I was in a rush, and am now sorry for it.

I called and spoke to Roger, I suppose the owner, who impressed me as not being too customer friendly. That's my opinion......perhaps I am wrong about him, but that my opinion......and we all know what opinions are like.

He had the holster in stock that I was looking for, Item Number 155, priced at $104.95, and I honestly believed that price would bring me something of quality. Priority mailing was an additional $13.00, for a total of $117.95. I ordered it on October 6th and received it the next day. That left a great impression about their service......but not for long.

Upon opening the package I got my first major disappointment. The holster was in a plastic bag and the bag was marked......now get this...."PROUDLY MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA". What......made in South Africa for $104.95, you have to be pulling my chain.

From there it was all downhill. The overall finish was poor to crude, the leather shoulder harness piece, as well as the leather straps were thin, both in width & thickness and were also poorly finished. Years ago I owned a similar holdster where the tension used to keep the weapon in place was a steel clip. The tension in this puppy was a piece of what appears to be some sort of Spandex.

The strap adjustments used a type of screw-in thingy with holes punched about an inch apart. For the price I paid I surely expected a buckle-type adjustment and a better all-over finish. The inside of the holster was just raw leather. This morning I finally adjusted this thing to fit me with the proper cant and drop, and then sewed the the straps together as an added precaution, as I was not completely satisfied that those screw-in thingys would hold under strain.

That's it...........I strongly suggest that anyone considering the purchase of a holster look anywhere else than with Nevada Gun Leather, Las Vegas Nevada. I threw the dice with those folks and came up snake-eyes. Will try to post a few scans later on today.

Marty

Follow up on Nevada Gun Leather .....................

Here are the scans that I promised before. Perhaps not a bad holster for $49.95, but certainly not for $104.95.

MVC-001S.JPGMVC-002S.JPGMVC-003S.JPG

Note the crude finish and the quality of the leather straps. My black stitching on those leather straps is to assure me that they do not come apart under any sudden stress.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson

For decent, non-custom, holsters at reasonable prices, Don Hume is a good choice. They sell direct and through Gunner's Alley. I think they are better made than Galco.

Suede is a poor choice for lining, BTW. It tends to collect and hold moisture, not to mention dirt and other debris. Good lining is man-made.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    ....They recommended that I soak the holster in cold water for 3-5 minutes, then put my gun wrapped in plastic wrap into the holster and allow it to dry. I have never seen a holster maker do this, as they are generally already wet molded to the holster before you get it. As I did not want to ruin the holster I did not do this step and it seems to hold just fine.
    A holster maker would sometimes use water to custom mold the holster to a specific gun. The water absorbs into the leather to make the leather much more pliable. Covering the gun wrap protects it from the water, BUT you have to be sure it is covered very well. You can use your fingers or any tool with with a rounded end to "mold" the leather to the contours of you gun for a custom fit. I have done it holsters without a suede lining and it works well. I tried it once for a holster with a suede lining and it didn't work all that well. The suede took a really long time to dry and the lining was never really the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post

Suede is a poor choice for lining, BTW. It tends to collect and hold moisture, not to mention dirt and other debris. Good lining is man-made.
    I don't disagree on the suede not being the best choice, however I do disagree that lining should be man made;) I've yet to find a better liner for a holster than full grain cowhide, if there is something better out there I've not found it yet(nor most of the other larger holster makers;)

Take care!

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    I don't disagree on the suede not being the best choice, however I do disagree that lining should be man made;) I've yet to find a better liner for a holster than full grain cowhide, if there is something better out there I've not found it yet(nor most of the other larger holster makers;)

Take care!

Luke
    High Noon might disagree with you. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    High Noon might disagree with you. :)
    Somehow I never noticed they used a man made liner on some of their rigs, either way I don't have any experience with their lined rigs so I can't say it's better or worse than cowhide. That said I don't have any real complaints with using full grain for lining holsters, it works well makes a good stiff holster when laminated to the main layer. I guess any man made material I would use for lining would have to stand the test of time and really do something more than full grain leather for me to use it as an option. However that's just my 2 cents;) Holster makers often disagree on how they prefer to build things and how the "right" way to do something. It's pretty common to agree to disagree;)

Take care!

Luke

I don't have a problem with the full grain lining. I have a holster from the 70's that is made that way.

Disagreements are what make life fun!!!

Administrator
    "I have never seen a holster maker do this, as they are generally already wet molded to the holster before you get it."

Correction: "as they are generally already wet molded to the firearm before you get it."

With vegetable tanned leather if you were to soak the holster and allow the holster to dry completely with the firearm still in the holster - the holster would be end up being too loose.

The firearm is typically CAREFULLY removed after the holster is boned to the firearm & before the holster is completely dry.

Also Note. In reality a suede lining will actually wear the firearm finish the same as or quicker than an unlined holster.
    The suede can hold carbon deposits and grit and residue that may act like sandpaper against the firearm finish.
    Also if a holster is lined in suede it needs to be Veg tanned suede and NOT Chrome Tanned and most suede is Chrome Tanned.
    So just to be on the safe side - do not store your firearm in that holster for extended periods of time unless your firearm is Stainless.

All that having been said it does not look too bad for the price that you paid.
    luke213 likes this.

Sponsored Links