Question for the Kydex Holster Makers

This is a discussion on Question for the Kydex Holster Makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many times can you melt and bend Kydex? I have a Kydex holster that I want to "modify" but if I don't like what ...

Thread: Question for the Kydex Holster Makers

Senior Moderator

Question for the Kydex Holster Makers

How many times can you melt and bend Kydex?

I have a Kydex holster that I want to "modify" but if I don't like what I do I want to "put it back" and want to make sure I don't wreck it in the process.

Please advise.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have heated and re heated kydex repeatedly to get the proper shape with no damage. Getting the original form may be a bit difficult depending on what you are doing. Typically I use a heat gun to heat the kydex as it easy to spot form areas . Over heating of the kydex will create a shiny area so heat slowly.
    What exactly are you intending on modifying?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There probably is a limit, but a good number of times without issues. Pending that you don't overheat it, if you overheat it, it takes on a shiny appearance and really at that point it's a crapshoot if it's going to get brittle or do anything odd. I haven't overheated any larger pieces so I guess the results of overheating are hearsay to a degree. But in most cases if you're willing to risk the rig heat it up and give it a go.

I will say though depending on what you want to do, consider picking up some kydex and have a go making a copy of the existing holster with the changes you want to make. There isn't much to kydex holster making as far as tools, most people who are handy have enough tools on hand to work it, just another idea. Especially because you don't have to worry about ruining a holster your going to use again.

Also should be noted make sure it's actually kydex(I'm fairly sure you are) but not ABS or anything else they are using these days for holsters. Fobus for instance is something other than kydex, or if it is kydex it's certainly not sheet kydex like you can readily buy so I have no idea what it would do to remold. There are also some other makers playing in this other "plastics" area that isn't kydex and may not form in the same way etc. So just a word of warning;)

Good luck and if you have questions I'm sure I could dig up some additional info for you, or also post and I'm sure myself or others can fill you in as well:)

Take care!

Luke

Senior Moderator
    How to explain this...

I have a CBST and I want to beld out the front most edge so that it wraps a little more around my skinny body.

Oh if it's a minor change have at it then. I was thinking a full kydex not a hybrid type of rig.

Actually this is a problem I noticed when I tested building hybrids back when I got into holsters. They tend to not fit terribly well if your skinny(I'm fairly slender) and if you make them for someone skinny they don't fit larger guys well. So you either build it too fit or guess:)

Anyways back on topic, to adjust that bit I would throw the gun in the holster, lay something heat absorbent over the entire area you don't want to change. I normally use leather but hey I'm a leather guy I've got plenty of it laying about;) Just about anything else that won't melt or burn when you hit it with a heat gun will do. Then just take the heat gun, heat it with passing swipes. You want it just hot enough to start to move, not too hot. I would use low to start. Once it starts moving it will start to flex much like leather. This is the point where if you go much further it will get shiny. Since you just want a bend stop once it starts moving flex it to where you want and hold. I blow on it, or put it in front of a fan to speed up the set(takes anywhere from a few seconds to 30ish depending on temp). Once it set's try it on, see how you did. Need to go further, have a go at it again.

Also word of warning from someone who's been there;) Watch out for the metal rivets since you've been heating the area around them, they will hold the heat longer than the kydex, and unless you want a brand on your behind the shape of a crossbreed rivet make sure you test after they cool:) Ask me how I figured that one out!;)

Good luck!

Luke

Senior Moderator
    You can just dip it in water to set it. Its a lot quicker.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Sounds about right. I would heat the edge , then press it to your body in the carry position you typically use. (wear thick t or similar to protect from warm rivets. This way it is custom formed to your body shape. I do this with most slot type holsters I make . Just go slow with the heat. BTW I use a wood or metal ruler to shield the area I don't want warmed by the heat gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Thanks a lot. I wouldn't have thought about putting it ON to mold it specifically to my body but that sure does make a lot of sense... a big "DUH" moment here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably won't get to it tonight (or should I say today) but it will be sooner rather than later as I think it will make it just a little more form-fitting to my skinny butt.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You can just dip it in water to set it. Its a lot quicker.
    That is a great idea that I have no idea why I hadn't thought of before;) Have to give it a try to quickly set some of my clips rather than waiting;)

Luke

I usually keep a spray bottle of water on my bench to rapid cool the kydex. And good idea on the leather heat shield, I will try that. Also on after the fact adjustments I have taken two wood blocks and sandwich the kydex between them to keep from getting that ugly wavy look. cool thing about kydex is the various ways to do things. I love it!
    God, Guns, and Guts made America Free, I vote we keep all THREE!

Links