WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster - Page 2

WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

This is a discussion on WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I admire the OP for both contacting the maker AND making others aware of a potential unintended discharge when holstering that handgun. I will not ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I admire the OP for both contacting the maker AND making others aware of a potential unintended discharge when holstering that handgun.

I will not fault him for posting a warning, which I don't see as a bashing at all. Better to make a quick check of one's holster than to blow off one's butt. What if everyone waited to hear back from automakers about potential safety problems with their new cars? Not every manufacurere responds in a timely manner (think Toyota).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

In the pants, out of the pants, tabletop, or otherwise, a holster shouldn't be able to actuate the trigger when placing the gun into it. Good on you, OP, for pointing this out, you may have saved someone from an A.D. I too didn't read it as a "bash" on the manufacturer, but as a warning to others with the same setup. Good job, all around.

I have the Minotaur (2 leather layers), rather than the Spartan (1 layer) as shown in your pictures, for my Kahr CW9. After seeing your post I looked at my holster and found that I can bend the leather away from the kydex half-shell, thereby creating a gap into which the trigger guard can enter. However: (A) When not being worn, I have to work hard to angle the gun in such as way as to get the kydex tab to enter the trigger guard, and (B) when the holster is worn the belt and pants squeeze the Kydex against the leather (and thence against your body) leaving the crack too narrow for the trigger guard to enter.

I've used this holster for the past couple of years and have never had this problem arise in practice.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Maybe not the best design, But not a fair assessment to the product either. You are not wearing the holster. Because you are not wearing it, there is no pressure behind the holster or a belt over the holster creating pressure from the front.

Your demonstration photos show the holster basically being pryed open to show a potential flaw. Even though properly wearing the product would be difficult to recreate the same condition.

Geez guys, Give him a break. Why is everyone jumping all over Krustito for. He DID NOT bash anyone. I sure did not take it as bashing. In fact he went out of his way to say " IMO comp tac makes many great , high quality products, and im sure that this problem can be fixed easily". He was merely stating a fact that he discovered about his holster in hopes of getting information out to his fellow board members so anyone in the same position can take care and not have any accidents.

I for one appreciate the info you passed on in your post and the way you presented it. Had you discovered this, contacted the manufacturer and said nothing to us, I think that would have been negligent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I admire the OP for both contacting the maker AND making others aware of a potential unintended discharge when holstering that handgun.

I will not fault him for posting a warning, which I don't see as a bashing at all. Better to make a quick check of one's holster than to blow off one's butt. What if everyone waited to hear back from automakers about potential safety problems with their new cars? Not every manufacurere responds in a timely manner (think Toyota).
    I think the OP is just fine...better safe than sorry. Like OldVet, I did not take it as bashing, and if I had that holster, I would have appreciated such a warning.
    That's why I buy Fist products...Don't need no stinkin' warning...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    I should speak with them before than bashing the product.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've got a Spartan and carry a G23 - impossible to do what the OP demonstrated as the barrel is guided down the Kydex before the trigger guard meets the kydex. Maybe it's applicable to shorter barreled handguns. Appreciate the notification; please let us know of Comp-Tac's response.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    Hmmm. That's pretty unnerving actually. I just did a quick search for other posts about this issue and didn't turn anything up.

I don't agree with some of the other posts though. Sure the OP needs to contact the manufacturer and they need to figure out what is going on and get it fixed. The OP isn't bashing anyone though and I would completely agree that an accidental discharge while holstering that weapon could easily result in a fatality if the trigger got caught up in the kydex. Maybe changing the title to "Potentially Fatal" might sound slightly less alarmist but anyone with a Minotaur, especially for a PM9, should be thankful that he has put up a post on it.
    I am going to go with this one because if I had this holster I would be gratefull he said something (and by the way he is not bashing at all IMO)
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

The OP's post was in no way shape or form a Bash, it is a legitimate warning with photographic proof. Some folks are just way too emotionally invested in the products they choose to buy.

I have an Comp-tac MTAC, Comp-tac Infidel and a Crossbreed Supertuck. I think I'll stick to the Infidel and the Supertuck until I've had a chance to safely test this out. When I'm sitting in my car, my glock is always being subjected to some downward or side to side forces while I shift around in my seat. I'd hate for this to happen to my Condition 1 carried Glock.

This is a legitimate safety warning and at the very least something for all of us Minotaur owners need to look into.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Maybe not the best design, But not a fair assessment to the product either. You are not wearing the holster. Because you are not wearing it, there is no pressure behind the holster or a belt over the holster creating pressure from the front.

Your demonstration photos show the holster basically being pryed open to show a potential flaw. Even though properly wearing the product would be difficult to recreate the same condition.
    I can't actually buy this and I'll tell ya' why. Lots of folks, including me holster a weapon before they put it on, especially something with clips that rides low IWB. It's a heck of a lot easier to get it into position with the firearm already in place, at least it is for me. So to say that holstering the gun is safe when you are wearing it, because the conditions are different, is only saying that it's only potentially dangerous sometimes...

VIP Member
    I would hate to NOT tell people about this particular issue and later hear or read that someone was hurt or killed that could have been warned. Thanks to the OP!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    I can't actually buy this and I'll tell ya' why. Lots of folks, including me holster a weapon before they put it on, especially something with clips that rides low IWB. It's a heck of a lot easier to get it into position with the firearm already in place, at least it is for me. So to say that holstering the gun is safe when you are wearing it, because the conditions are different, is only saying that it's only potentially dangerous sometimes...
    Oh Kind of like a Glocks and revolvers. If your not paying attention to what your doing you can sometimes have an accident. So I guess holstering a weapon and not paying attention to what you are doing can also be potentially dangerous.

It all comes down to common sense.

P.s. I own Glocks and revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Agreed!!! I MUCH prefer that if there is problem/flaw/possibility of me or someone else getting harmed that someone warn me and THEN contact the manufacturer. If this isn't a true flaw then the company can put out a statement explaining it and no one is harmed. If it IS a flaw and someone knew about it but decided to wait until they got a response from the manufacturer and someone died in the mean time then someone is harmed. This goes for ANY product. We post reviews/praise/warnings of tons of products on this board all the time. Should a person give the manufacturer time to reply and explain every time before they post a negative review of their product?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

guy is just pointing out a potential flaw that possibly may effect others on this board. give him a break. maybe it can be something for Comp-tac to consider
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links