WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

This is a discussion on WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet I admire the OP for both contacting the maker AND making others aware of a potential unintended discharge when holstering that ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I admire the OP for both contacting the maker AND making others aware of a potential unintended discharge when holstering that handgun.

I will not fault him for posting a warning, which I don't see as a bashing at all. Better to make a quick check of one's holster than to blow off one's butt. What if everyone waited to hear back from automakers about potential safety problems with their new cars? Not every manufacurere responds in a timely manner (think Toyota).
    Words to live by right there!
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

It's not a bash in no way shape or form as many here have said. I have a PM9, but do not have this holster. If I did, I would like to know this information "prior" to having an AD that could injure me. All the OP is doing is pointing out a potential safety issue. Good on him. Should he contact the manufacturer and wait for a response before posting? I think not. That would open up additional time frame for someone "not notified" to be injured/killed.

Some people keep their weapon holstered even when not on their person. Some holster it before putting it on (as someone else mentioned).

He did the right thing. Simple as that.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

This is good info to have. I am planning on order from them this week, and I'll be sure to check the holster for that potential issue when I get it. I have heard nothing but good things about their holster, so I am still going to order. I appreciate the post!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Oh Kind of like a Glocks and revolvers. If your not paying attention to what your doing you can sometimes have an accident. So I guess holstering a weapon and not paying attention to what you are doing can also be potentially dangerous.

It all comes down to common sense.

P.s. I own Glocks and revolvers.
    Paying attention when holstering means making sure that nothing like clothing, fingers, bits of elastic etc are inside the trigger guard when holstering. The situation the OP describes can occur after the gun has been successfully holstered. That is what IMO makes this an issue we need to look into.

After I've holstered my pistol, I assume it is now safe until I remove it. if the plastic can separate from the holster and get into the triggerguard post-holstering then I think we have an issue. Either way, I'd rather not have to worry about my holster itself, I'd rather focus on keeping foreign objects out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    This is good info to have. I am planning on order from them this week, and I'll be sure to check the holster for that potential issue when I get it. I have heard nothing but good things about their holster, so I am still going to order. I appreciate the post!
    You should look at the new Galco King Tuc before you do.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...06&CatalogID=7
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

thanks for all the comments especially the ones that help me to clarify my statements. **
    the problem occurs while holstering, espcially if coming in crooked or *at an angle- which, is easy to do at 5oclock. *The trigger guard can slip under the kydex tab which becomes lodged between the guard and the actuating side of the trigger. *I first discovered the problem while actually reholstering my gun- something I had done MANY times before without incident, and *yes, the pictures were taken tabletop to demonstrate what I'm talking about, but hey, it's an iwb holster- it's a little difficult (and maybe inappropriate ;-) to take pictures inside my pants...
    I definitely think that the pm9 being so short barreled and slim contributes to the problem- I doubt that this would happen to any of my other guns; infact, *I plan to keep the holster (which I still really like) and order a replacement kydex body (easily interchangeable) for my glock33 - which has a much wider trigger
    guard and a wider frame.*again, thanks for all the comments and I'll post aging when I hear back from Comptac. *
    y'all have a great weekend

& sorry about the weird formatting- I wrote this on my iPhone..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by krustito View Post
    thanks for all the comments especially the ones that help me to clarify my statements. **
    the problem occurs while holstering, espcially if coming in crooked or *at an angle- which, is easy to do at 5oclock. *The trigger guard can slip under the kydex tab which becomes lodged between the guard and the actuating side of the trigger. *I first discovered the problem while actually reholstering my gun- something I had done MANY times before without incident, and *yes, the pictures were taken tabletop to demonstrate what I'm talking about, but hey, it's an iwb holster- it's a little difficult (and maybe inappropriate ;-) to take pictures inside my pants...I definitely think that the pm9 being so short barreled and slim contributes to the problem- I doubt that this would happen to any of my other guns; infact, *I plan to keep the holster (which I still really like) and order a replacement kydex body (easily interchangeable) for my glock33 - which has a much wider trigger
    guard and a wider frame.*again, thanks for all the comments and I'll post aging when I hear back from Comptac. *
    y'all have a great weekend
    Yeah. That's for another website entirely!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by krustito View Post
    ... i'm only aware of this problem as it applies to the kahr pm9.
    To Kahr PM9's, or to only your specific PM9?

This is why it's important to let the company itself identify the cause(s) of the issue(s), because it can at this point be anything. They are the only ones that will know whether the issue has been raised by other owners or has been witnessed with other guns. Ain't gonna get there without contacting the company. Think about it, if it were your branded product out in the field. Wouldn't you want to know about such incidents so that you could avoid people getting shot because of it?

That said, I don't see the initial post as a bash per se. It's clearly labeled as a warning. It's not worded so sharply as the other SIG P220 thread. Not all posts about issues constitute "bashing."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I saw no intent to bash the maker in the post. I have carried for 38 years and consider myself very careful and observant but I am a fallible human, "as is this or any maker"! IMO the OP has done the maker and the forum readers a great service as to safety and product improvement...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I just tried to hit the trigger with that tab. Couldn't even come close.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Krustito, thanks for the observation. I am with you, I would not wear a holster that could be contorted into a dangerous config on or off my body. You are right it appears to be an easy fix by adding a tab by the trigger guard. I can't imagine them not wanting to correct this. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with the previous post that this "flaw" must only be in regards to small pistols.

I just an MTAC for my 5" 1911 and there is no way for me to lever my firearm into the holster and have the kydex index the trigger in that manner on or off of the body.

If I were worried about it a quick trim of the kydex will round that corner enough that there is no solid hook to engage the trigger.

Good to know but I think the title should be revised to reflect the audience that should be targeted, compact and sub compact carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    Good to know but I think the title should be revised to reflect the audience that should be targeted, compact and sub compact carriers.
    I have a MTAC Slide which I use for my XD .45 Service, and my XD .40 Sub Compact. I cant duplicate the OP's issue with my Service, or my SC.
    It's quite difficult to even get the SC into that weird position. It's certainly not something that's going to happen if I don't deliberately wedge my pistol in there.

I'm not worried about this "fatal flaw" in the slightest.

The Kydex body of the holster pictured in the OP has been modified, and not particularly well. That melted-looking dent at the ejection port definitely wasn't put there by Comp-Tac. Hmmm, I wonder if inexpert modification might have something to do with the problem.

I have a Comp-Tac MTAC (not spartan) for my Karh MK9 so I absolutely appreciate the OP posting this. Upon reading this I unloaded my MK9 and tried to duplicate the OP's test but was unable to get the weapon to dry fire. I *WAS* able to get the entire kydex tab inside of the trigger guard, but that didn't leave enough downward travel distance to fully depress the trigger. It got pretty darn close though. I don't think I will stop carrying this holster, but I will certainly keep a close eye on the situation. I carry at 3 0'Clock and very rarely unholster/reholster so I think I am relatively immune to this situation, but none the less I appreciate it being brought to my attention.

Upon first inspection, I think the problem could be mitigated by making the tab slightly taller and filing the leading edge back to ~45-deg angle so there is less to catch on the trigger but still enough kydex to keep the gun from rotating when holstered.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links