WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

This is a discussion on WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried to duplicate the situation with my very carefully unloaded Glock 30sf. While It looks like the tab would fit into the trigger guard, ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

I tried to duplicate the situation with my very carefully unloaded Glock 30sf. While It looks like the tab would fit into the trigger guard, no amount of forcing I tried could get it in there. the thing is, in order to get close to the trigger guard, the barrel has to go into the holster fairly far, making it hard to bend the pistol in such a way as to get the tab in place. While It may be a possibility, I think that it would be impossible for this to happen in ordinary usage with the G30. UNLESS one or two of the retention screws came out... then there could be a very serious problem.

For now, I think I'll add some loctite to my retention screws and go back to using the holster. Thank you so much for the warning OP... I value people taking gun safety seriously and taking the time to warn us of potential issues.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I ordered my Comp Tac Minotaur and it should be here later this week. I"ll test it out with my G30, and give my review. Thanks again for the heads up!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I see an easy fix to the design by a making a larger trigger guard tab and putting a 90 degree bend in it so it lays flat against the leather, and then screwing it to the leather backing.

So you will have the two mounting screws which are already present along the barrel, in front of the trigger guard, and a third screw next to the trigger guard where the kydex has been extended to lay flat against the leather like the other mounting points.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry an M&P FS and a Compact in a Minataur.
    I just tried to reproduce this problem and absolutely cannot
    with holster either on or off my body..
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I received my comp tac minotaur holster yesterday. I tried with the holster on, and off body to reproduce what you had happen, but I cannot. The Glock 30 seems perfectly safe with this holster. Thanks again for the heads up!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

This is the closest I could get my p239 to snag in my MTAC. The end of the barrel was firmly against the far side of the holster. I couldn't get anywhere near the trigger.

When I holster a gun it is ALWAYS in line with the port for the bbl to enter straight into the holding area. All my holsters are treated this way.
    I have 2 MTACs, 1911 and XD. I refuse to bend, contort, or mutilate a holster or my guns to get them into or out of a holster. I work hard for my money and try not to destroy what that hard earned money has paid for.
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I just tried to hit the trigger with that tab. Couldn't even come close.
    Plus one, not happening!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Ah jeez you first few guys are bashing the OP for attempting to save someone the misfortune of an accidental discharge. When dealing with safety, time is of the essence.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    I agree with the previous post that this "flaw" must only be in regards to small pistols.

I just an MTAC for my 5" 1911 and there is no way for me to lever my firearm into the holster and have the kydex index the trigger in that manner on or off of the body.

If I were worried about it a quick trim of the kydex will round that corner enough that there is no solid hook to engage the trigger.

Good to know but I think the title should be revised to reflect the audience that should be targeted, compact and sub compact carriers.
    I just unholstered and cleared my 4" XD and tried to duplicate it. I couldn't get the tab to come even remotely close to the trigger because at every angle and every attempt, the barrel would force the pistol upright and into a properly seated position before the trigger would get near that tab. I specifically tried to touch the trigger with the tab, and couldn't do it.

Still completely comfortable with the MTAC as the everyday holster for the XD. It's back on the hip.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    When I holster a gun it is ALWAYS in line with the port for the bbl to enter straight into the holding area. All my holsters are treated this way.
    I have 2 MTACs, 1911 and XD. I refuse to bend, contort, or mutilate a holster or my guns to get them into or out of a holster. I work hard for my money and try not to destroy what that hard earned money has paid for.
    Hotbrass, I think you are missing the point. The OP is pointing out a potential danger that may exist in this holster with certain firearms. Nobody is saying you need to go mutilating your holster.

Furthermore, I'm sure all of us is very careful when reholstering... the question is, is it possible under certain conditions (perhaps sitting down in a car) for the situation the OP points out to be replicated. Heck, even a screw accidentally coming loose could cause the situation described to become a possibility. The OP simply issued a warning, if you feel perfectly safe in your situation then good for you.

Sigsegv, even though you may not have been able to get near the trigger, the sight of anything foreign in a trigger guard makes me nervous.

krustito,

Did you ever contact Comp-tac and if so what did they say?? I'm interested in their response. Thanks for the heads up. I tried to do it with my 239 and MTAC and couldn't get it near the trigger.

seems like a strictly sub-compact issue...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I have a Kahr P9 -- about as close to the OP's PM9 as you can get without being one.

I just got an MTAC Minotaur a couple days ago and I tried hard to replicate the accidental firing with the kydex tab.

My P9 comes extremely close to firing. The trigger is pulled back to just before trigger break, but I couldn't get it to actually break. I believe the front of the slide hits the opposite side of the kydex inside the holster and prevents it from going a little bit further.

I am comfortable holstering my P9 with this potential flaw, but I believe they need to resolve this issue. The holster would be sturdier overall if there was another attachment point near the trigger guard. The other option is making the small tab wider.

Anyone else with a P9/CW9 able to replicate? It looks like it may be limited to the PM barrel length guns.

I appreciate it when anyone posts about a firearm potentially firing on re-holster. From where I'm sitting, better to be extremely, overly, ridiculously safe in alerting people (me especially) rather than incur even a small risk. I can decide for myself if I want to purchase from that manufacturer, and I like having data points.

From a consumers point of view, this kind of reporting forces the market to stay safe. So thank you OP. Just my 2 cents.

Having said that, I, too, would like to know if you contacted the manufacturer, as is proper, and how they responded?
    Last edited by NoSlack; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links