WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

This is a discussion on WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have used a comp tac minotaur (kydex/leather hybrid) holster for my kahr pm9 and have been very pleased with it until now. yesterday, i ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

WARNING fatal flaw in comp tac minotaur holster

I have used a comp tac minotaur (kydex/leather hybrid) holster for my kahr pm9 and have been very pleased with it until now. yesterday, i discovered that under certain conditions, a tab of kydex around the trigger guard, can get lodged into the trigger guard, snag the trigger and even fire the weapon.
    i dont know if this is specific to the kahr pm9, but if you own a minotaur holster, i'd check to make sure that this cant happen..
    IMO comp tac makes many great , high quality products, and im sure that this problem can be fixed easily, but i was very worried/shocked when i first discovered this. especially since i carry in the 5o'clock

position.photo.JPGphoto.JPG
    Willieboy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Did you contact the maker?
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 13th, 2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Lead Moderator
    Contacting the maker might be a better option rather than bash the product.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Pretty extreme for a first post....is it really a "fatal flaw"? Have you given the make a chance to make it right??

BTW....welcome.
    Last edited by limatunes; October 13th, 2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: inflamitory
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

let me add that i'm pretty sure this problem can be fixed by either:
    a- securing the kydex near the trigger guard to the leather backing, or
    b- making the hanging kydex tab wide enough to not fit into the trigger guard

as it is, i found that i could easily dryfire the kahr by pushing the gun down and/or righting it into the holster. perhaps i can post a movie clip of this.. i have already written a note to comptac about this, and hope to get a quick response. prehaps they can just print out a corrected design kydex piece and send them out to people. (they are designed to be easily interchanged)

thanks for your comments. i should add that i have been reading this forum for many years, but never felt the need to post anything until now. as far as i can tell, there havent been any postings on this subject, and the last thing i'd want to do it "bash" a reputable company like comptac.

still, i would be remiss if i didnt point out a safety flaw that could result in people shooting themselves accidentally. i firmly believe that comptac will correct the design as soon as then hear of it.

los
    I would call that a Design Flaw that could potentially compromise the safe operation of the weapon[AD] as it's being holstered. Perhaps an isolated [QC] issue..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I can see how this would be a problem. It is a design flaw or just yours in particular? Makes me feel glad I have a crossbreed mini tuck for my PM9.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check mine when I get home. However, I believe CompTac will make it right. Give them a shout.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

i don't thinks it's a QC issue, but inherent in the design. please keep in mind that i'm only aware of this problem as it applies to the kahr pm9.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'm going to back up the first few posters. One should ALWAYS contact the manufacturer first before publicizing stuff like this. Give them the opportunity to respond. Yes, it should be mentioned on forums, but not before the maker has a chance to respond to the issue.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. That's pretty unnerving actually. I just did a quick search for other posts about this issue and didn't turn anything up.

I don't agree with some of the other posts though. Sure the OP needs to contact the manufacturer and they need to figure out what is going on and get it fixed. The OP isn't bashing anyone though and I would completely agree that an accidental discharge while holstering that weapon could easily result in a fatality if the trigger got caught up in the kydex. Maybe changing the title to "Potentially Fatal" might sound slightly less alarmist but anyone with a Minotaur, especially for a PM9, should be thankful that he has put up a post on it.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, first off, what you are showing is the Minotaur Spartan (single layer leather, like the Crossbreed SuperTuck), which is different than the Minotaur MTAC (two layers of leather), which I think a lot more folks use. Don't know if that makes a difference in what you are showing. I will say that I have had my MTAC for about three years, and in using it with three different switchable bodies to go with four different guns (none of them a Kahr, however), I have never seen that happen. I also think that proper holster tension on the Minotaur hybrids requires the holster to be IWB and held by a belt, so I am somewhat skeptical of a table-top demonstration as truly indicating a fatal design flaw in the product.

By all means, contact the maker with your concerns and please make sure you post again with whatever response you receive.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I dont think its a bash, but hes just pointing out something some of the minotaur users would want to know.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links