IWB question

This is a discussion on IWB question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I need a little help with my new iwb. I bought a Wild Bill's holester and I'm having a hard time getting it ...

Thread: IWB question

IWB question

Hi All,
    I need a little help with my new iwb. I bought a Wild Bill's holester and I'm having a hard time getting it to fit in my waist band. I wear jeans or jean shorts all the time and theres approx. 2" of extra room in my waist band. The problem I'm having is when I try to attach the snaps to my belt (also a gun belt) it wants to pull the holester out of my waistband. I'm going to guess that it will fit better over time, but is there a way to speed up the process or is there something else I'm not doing right?? with the holester just stuck in my pants no snaps, it fits and feels pretty good. Also the holester is set up for 1-1/2 belt and that is what I'm using. Any advice, comments, suggestions, or opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks Kurt

2. Remove Ads

los
    I suggest snapping the Holster onto the Belt while the rig is off to allow the loop(s) to conform to the belt. Never wear the Holster un-snapped to the belt,.. specially while carrying your weapon.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Question?

I read somewhere recently, that a holster with 11/2" slots will abrase the top & bottom of a 11/2" belt and so the slots should be 13/4". This makes me wonder, is there any truth in this?
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Martini13,
    The belt slots and holster should mate and be the same size for the most secure foundation. There may be some slight wear along the belt edges fom constantly putting it on and off, but your going to get even more wear from play and loose fit along the edges with oversized belt slots. Not to metion oversized slots can also cause excessive wear on the belt from top to bottom and within the area covered by the holster since there is less lateral support; the belt can begin to soften prematurely in that area and sag.

Wolverine,
    Have you tried fitting the holster loops to the belt without wearing it, just off-body?? Sounds like the loops may be slightly under-sized for the belt. Also, what type of pistol are you carrying?
    It may be a design issue and not a belt-loop problem. If it is a rather short pistol in too high riding a holster, the entire rig can feel like it's going to tumble up over the waistband. Belt pressure on the bottom of the holster (if that's where the belt sits in relation) squeezing and pushing up on it from the bottom can create this; and the snap-loops pulling downward from the outside (assuming it's a design with the loops fixed to the front of the holster) can add to it. Many holster-makers use their same full-sized patterns when making the same holster design for a shorter pistol and just cut off the bottom of the pattern, and don't take into account the change in balance and weight distribution with a shorter gun. This really doesn't work; the holster has to be designed around the specific gun in mind. Short-slide pistols tend to be top heavy, and need to ride lower; especially when carried IWB.
    Also you didn't state where on the body you are carrying. This may be a contributing factor as well. You may want to try moving the rig forward or backward just slightly and see if the problem persists.
    Hope this helps some. Let us know.
    Last edited by Mark Garrity; July 3rd, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Don't take offense to this , but does anything above your waist
    stick out?

If so , you just gotta cinch that sucker up Tight!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

AKsrule was typing while I was. I was trying to be more PC with my "where are you carrying?" and "shift it around" suggestions, but, yeah, Dunlap disease can be an issued when carring IWB also.
    No sense even attempting appendix carry IWB or OWB unless you have a very flat stomach.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."

Mark Garrity
    The holester slides around the belt with no problem or better yet the belt slde through the holester loops freely. The holester is a wild bills summer heat with the FBI cant. I'm trying to carry on my right side hip, I have tried to move it forward and back but it don't seem to help much. It almost seems as if the strap material between the holester and the belt loop need to be a little longer. I can get it to snap but it wants to roll the top edge of my jeans down. The holester is brand new and never been worn, that is why I was thinking it needed to be broke in. The gun I will be carrying is a glock model 23, the strange thing is my model 22 fits the holester as well as the 23. Yes I have a little dunlap disease not bad though so I thought I could get away with it. If I stick my pistol in my pants with no holester and my belt is on it does not move and it feels comfortable, so I figured I could carry IWB. I do not carry this way, I was just checking to see if there was room for me to carry IWB. My belt has pvc sandwiched between 2 pcs of leather and has velcro on the inside to keep from moving around my jeans, I don't think the belt is my problem.

AKsrule no offense, yes I have a little hanging over not bad though.

Thanks
    Kurt

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLVERINE
    I'm trying to carry on my right side hip, I have tried to move it forward and back but it don't seem to help much.
    Kurt,

The easiest way to explain to others how you are wearing your holster is by the "clock" method. With your belly button at 12:00 you can easily explain where your holster sits. Most right-handers wear a holster between 3:00 and 4:00........ Anyhow you get the idea.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Kurt,
    Good explanation this time. If the connection point where the loop attaches to the holster is rolling the top of your jeans down then it sounds like the loop is undersized for the belt you're wearing. A belt doesn't ride flush and even with the top of a waistband when you wear it, it sits about 1/4 inch below the waistband so the holster loops have to be long enough to accomodate this. Which sucks because it sounds like you have a decent belt there, but I think that's the issue. I would try the holster with a narrower width belt, even if it's just a cheap one, to experiment and see if that corrects the problem. Unless the holster is really high-riding the problems I cited in my previous post shouldn't be an issue with a Glock 23. And if it's an issue with the loops being too short for the belt, chnaging carry location isn't going to solve much.

Thumbs up

http://www.rmholsters.com/

I've never had a need for ANY other IWB Holster, I can carry ALL day no problems... I use this holster with and without a belt
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Links