OWB Holster Question

OWB Holster Question

This is a discussion on OWB Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am a pretty tall and skinny guy. I'm looking for some help with deciding on an OWB holster. I have been looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OWB Holster Question

Hi all,

I am a pretty tall and skinny guy. I'm looking for some help with deciding on an OWB holster. I have been looking at the High Noon holsters:

Slide Guard:
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...ide_guard.html

Snapper:
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...r/snapper.html

I don't have experience with either of these two holsters. The last time I had an OWB holster was a very long time ago and I was never happy with it. To be fair it was a cheap holster and seemed to stretch out and sag off my belt pretty quickly. Does anyone here have experience with these two styles of holsters? If so, can you tell me if there is a down side to the snapper type design over the belt slots?

Thanks

JD
    Administrator
    I have several OWBs (not High Noon) of both varieties, I generally prefer the belt slots for no real reason other than they tend to take up less space but the snap on/off models are plenty sturdy and the ease of putting them on/taking them off is enough of an advantage for some to overlook the amount of belt space they take up.

I love the High Noon IWB holsters. Got to realize, I live in a CC state, but travel often to states that allow me to open carry. There's a twist here as well, sometimes I open carry with my IWB holsters. Sort of simple.......I just tuck my shirt in behind them. This has worked effectively many times, and when I travel from state to state in one day, it's more modular for me to do so. The belt.....the belt for any holster IWB or OWB is all important. It alone needs to support anything you have in the way of gear AND what you're carrying. I probably have more OWB holsters than I do IWB holsters actually. I would never think about putting my belt on the outside of an OWB holster for simple reasons it defeats the purpose. I've had plenty of good luck with Mitch Rosen holsters, Ahern, and Fist just to name some of my top performers (for me). I like the hard molded, and the softer, depending on what I'm carrying. Straight drop or canted. High Noon is good, but like I say....haven't looked into them for OWB carry. I think my mind was made up long before I went with High Noon for my IWB carry. I've been known to carry OWB with a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide holster before, and the simple simplicity made it so accommodating for me. I tend to go for the open muzzle holsters for OWB actually. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. 36" waist. Hope this helps you in any way. I'll still give the folks at High Noon good remarks for their holsters that I have. Excellent customer satisfaction and a forum sponsor as well.

Administrator
    It helps if you include the make & model of the firearm that you intend to carry. You'll get better and more qualified answers.

I use an OWB #12 Basic Fist holster for my Glock-36...see the photo of the holster with the Glock in it.
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    Hugs the body tightly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I currently carry three different guns. P239 SAS, PX4SC, and Kahr PM9. Like I said I am a pretty skinny guy and have trouble finding pants that fit me let alone fit me with a holster tucked in. I still plan on concealing it with a cover garment. I currently carry the P239 SAS and PX4SC in a Garrett Silent Thunder. I also sometimes carry the Kahr PM9 and PX4SC in a Desantis Apache ankle holster.

The P239 is my primary carry and will be purchasing this holster for it.

I'm 6'0" 145 pounds 30" waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    "I would never think about putting my belt on the outside of an OWB holster for simple reasons it defeats the purpose."

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on this.
    At first thought....I was going to tell you that you just opened a can of worms. I'm going to attempt to keep this plain and simple in my opinion.
    Wearing the belt on the outside of an OWB holster defeats the purpose in two ways to my thinking. 1......it will buckle the holster or contort it into a form which was originally designed to retain the pistol itself, and may compromise the original fit and retention designed into the holster. 2.......if you work it (walking, sitting, bending, reaching, etc....), I'm thinking that the holster, belt, and pants are going to all work into a big cluster where you'll always be re-arranging yourself and becoming a PITA when most OWB holsters were designed for the belt under or inside the loops. Again...this may be a personal issue, but generally speaking....change and adapt as little as possible until you get on your feet and on your own. Your belt should support your holster and the pistol. Your holster is the retention with OWB carry....don't rely on your belt to be part of that retention. It's redundant and as far as I'm concerned with OWB.......it should be against the rules. If that's what you have to do to make your OWB work for you, then so be it. Thing is, you'll need to learn more as you've added an unnecessary retention device to your holster. IMO....get the best holster for you and wear it as intended with the best belt. Make your gear whole and be confident with all of it.

Hijacked

I see a trigger exposed above the holster. That's another thing I would never (never) think of doing. For what it's worth.
    Did I say the word never?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...5&d=1287366306

Quote Originally Posted by Zepar View Post
    Hijacked
    Quite possibly. My apologies. Think it got taken care of post haste. Kudos to the mods.

It wasn't the mods. I also apologize.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It wasn't the mods. I also apologize.
    I'll accept that. Can't speak for others. Much of my time has been lost in reply....obviously.

Recently went through the same decision you are trying to make. Slotted or snap. I decided to go with snap for the ease of on and off. I have never tried a slotted so I can't tell you the difference. I can tell you I am happy with my choice of snap. I carry a S&W M&P 40C in a comptac Gladiator.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=101

If it helps you any, below is a link a thread where I asked " OWB: Snaps or Slotted ? "
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ted&highlight=

I have a Crossbreed Snap Slide, and I like it. It has belt slots so you do have to thread it onto your belt, but some days I just feel lazy and find it easier than stuffing the Supertuck in my pants :P
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...%2cProductName

Recently went through the same decision you are trying to make. Slotted or snap. I decided to go with snap for the ease of on and off. I have never tried a slotted so I can't tell you the difference. I can tell you I am happy with my choice of snap.
    I can say the opposite. I've never tried snaps, but I'm happy with the slots. It's comfy and conceals well with just about any decent shirt that's long-enough (I think length is more of an issue with women's shirts) and I took it to my CCL class and the instructor liked it. It sits at a better spot for driving than the Supertuck does.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member
    I think that if you are going to put on a pair of pants in the morning and leave it all day long, then slots probably fit better - closer to the body, no snaps to worry about, etc.

But (like me) if you put on levis to walk the dog, then go to the boat in shorts, then change again and again and again............snaps are the clear winner.

Side note, don't ya just love the P239?? It's a great fitting gun.

Ditto on never wearing an OWB with belt passing on the outside of the pistol. You'll never get it out when you need it. What ever you get make sure you own a stiff belt to keep it secure to you waist without sagging. Carrying a firearm and carrying one optimally requires some planning. Choose the pistol to match the threat. Choose the holster for function then comfort. Choose the belt to fit them both. Belts carrying weapons should be cinched firmly. If you cheap on any of it you only disadvantage yourself. It kills me when I see a guy buy a $700 Sig, $200 worth of ammo, $95 holster and hang it on a $7.99 3/4 inch belt from wally world. :o) You are as good as your weakest link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links