Mag holder concept

This is a discussion on Mag holder concept within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been a lot of questions here lately on how people carry extra magazines. I was tossing around ideas and threw together a little ...

Thread: Mag holder concept

cj [OP]

Mag holder concept

There have been a lot of questions here lately on how people carry extra magazines. I was tossing around ideas and threw together a little prototype for feedback. No, it's not the perfect solution (fairly slow to deploy, pretty obvious as to what it is if you're someone who leaves your keys in the open), but I think it might be an option for some.

Plus, it gives you a nice grip for the last ditch pokey or swingy defense options

I'm curious about any ideas or changes others might have. It was a quick toss-together, so the kydex isn't formed as tightly as possible, and the edges aren't completely finished.

This version is an LCP magazine with the finger extension. I made the kydex come pretty much up to the extension thinking it might help to keep the magazine index holes from gathering pocket gunk over time:

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Interesting concept and looks like it might work well for 380/32 size mags, what about a belt clip instead may be a bit more useful on the belt and a bit quicker to deploy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

cj [OP]
    Yes, only for .380/.32 (possibly .22?) as another option. There are plenty of belt-able versions out there that people for one reason or another couldn't use, so I was wondering if this might be a better option for some than simply tossing a magazine in a pocket.

I don't think I'd want the weight of a mag full of any ammo hanging from my ignition. My mechanic told me once that heavy key rings are the #1 cause of ignition switch failures/replacements.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Distinguished Member
    I think it's a neat idea - nice to have lots of options out there. Especially for the lcp, it's so tiny.

I might want it made with a retention strap of some kind.

Phone/mag holders are also something to think about, so many phones though that it would be problemmatic.

Cool

This works well for IWB carry of larger mags.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...?TxtModelID=21
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

good idea...for certain situations as stated. Also looks like it can be used as a neck pouch, kinda like neck knives...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Good idea, I wouldn't want the extra weight hanging from my ignition.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    I don't think I'd want the weight of a mag full of any ammo hanging from my ignition. My mechanic told me once that heavy key rings are the #1 cause of ignition switch failures/replacements.
    this....

as a aservice manager i cant tell you how many ignition cylinders ive seen damaged by excessive weight on the key ring...and in an accident a heavy mag like that could end up being one heck of a projectile in a car...

To CJ:
    Not to highjack your thread but here is a quick story. I own a car rental company. We sold a car to a couple and the husband calls a few weeks later and tells us" when ever my wife drives the car to work as a school teacher in the rain and listening to the radio,The wipers and radio stop working for her but when I drive the car in the rain and listen to the radio I never have a problem"
    So we tell him to bring the car in so we can take a look. We take the car out for a drive with the wipers on and the radio playing. We make several left turn several right turn and can not get the problem to happen.
    As our mechanic in stepping out the the car the radio and wipers stop.
    The problem was she had so many keys from being a teacher that the ign switch would swig back enough to turn the cyclinder backwards just a hair to shut power to the radio and wipers. The husband only carried his 1 house key and they was not heavy enough to cause a problem.
    We removed the ign key for her group of keys and never heard from them again.

cj [OP]
    Good points. I've actually had to help a neighbor try to extract her overweight keys from her ignition after the continuous weight had worn some of the pins in such a way that it locked everything up when she tried to remove them.

Hadn't thought about the projectile issue in an accident either. Somehow a magazine of impact sensitive projectiles flying through the car isn't appealing in that situation, no matter how unlikely it is to set them off...but seeing how shoelaces have enough mass to untie themselves in an accident...

Ah well, nothing lost but a few square inches of Kydex. Now on to the idea of the inside-the-pocket double-mag holder...

My question is how do you deploy it? If nothing is connecting the whole bundle of keys and mag to your person, you would have to pull it out of your pocket, then draw the mag from the pouch. It takes two hands AND, if you don't stuff the empty sheath and keys back in your pocket, you have now left your car keys at the scene.

I like the "out of the box" thinking though.

Links