Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work?

This is a discussion on Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not get one of the OWB snap on holsters that several makers offer, including some on this site. I don't make any with that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work?

Why not get one of the OWB snap on holsters that several makers offer, including some on this site. I don't make any with that design myself.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1a.jpg
    Here is a FIST #1 which is intended as an IWB holster being warn as an OWB holster. Pic is from the FIST net site. So I guess the answer the the OP's questions is a resounding yes!
    The OP is talking about taking a left handed IWB and putting the clip over the belt on the right side with the holster outside the belt..that would be a flimsily set up.....the pic shows it being worn between the belt and pants....i have used my IWBs that way and it is fairly stable....

Found a good solution. A guy was selling one of those Tagua holster on another forum for $12 shipped and I was curious about them.
    so I took a $12 gamble. And it paid off in spades!

Here's some info on it from an ebay ad. But Natchez sells the same holster for around $14, a lot cheaper than this ebay guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IWB-ITP-INSIDE-P...item5188bfe6ac

Good quality leather and double stitched. It's tight and sturdy. It goes IWB, OWB, SOB. Can be clipped onto pants with no belt or it can be used yaqui style using just a belt with the clip removed.

It's ambidexterous too because it's not a form molded to a specific firearm but it fits my TCP very nicely. And it's real snug. The leather is good quality and it's double stitched.

I was worried that for only $12 it wouldn't be much of a holster. I was wrong. It's a great holster.

It's equal or perhaps a little better build/quality wise to the Don Hume line.

This is exactly what I do. I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe to accomodate CCW. Some of my pants fit me, but not my super-wide Glock30sf. So I use the Comp-tac infidel holster. If there isn't enough room inside the waitband, I put it between my pants and my belt. So the holster is held by the belt the same way it would be IWB, it just technically is sitting on the outside of the pant material rather than the inside.

This gives me 3 benefits.
    #1. The super-tight ride of an IWB
    #2. The ability to use the holster with my existing wardrobe
    #3. Easy on and off for when I have to enter CPZ (Criminal Protection Zones) where carry isn't allowed.

I would NOT get a lefthanded model to clip it outside of the belt alltogether because the clips really aren't strong enough IMO

Why not get a right handed paddle holster? Like was mentioned, you'd get too much wobble from a clip used on the outside.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Why not get a right handed paddle holster? Like was mentioned, you'd get too much wobble from a clip used on the outside.
    I'm not the OP, but I'm also interested in the topic. I keep a Comp-tac infidel between my belt and pants. But I'd prefer a Paddle. I've tried the Serpa CQC. It was the most comfortable holster I've ever tried, but it was NOT very easy to conceal at all. Any paddles you'd recommend?

I have a leather holster trimmed with sharkskin from Littlebearholsters. The sharkskin trimmed belt loops holster that is IWB, OWB, Between the pants and the belt( semi- OWB? ) and if you aquire Kydex belt clips it can be a Tuckable holster as well. I like the "BTPATB", it is easy to mount to mmy belt and still press the hand grip tight to my side.
    Dave Galloway will work with you to make the holster you need and his pricing is very fair. They have 2 locations; Jacksonville,FL & Clark Fork, ID
    JBPDXOR
    Cougar 8000 9mm
    S&W 586 4" 357
    Winchester Defender 12g

I think you will find that, as mentioned earlier the entire package will be weak and wobbly on the outside. There is a reason an IWB clip works and that is because you use your belt and body to help secure the weapon. I think you will find that doing what you want the to have the draw work w/o the holster coming off; you will need a loose retention holster and that makes for a dangerous carry as the gun will not be retined as well as a holster designed for OWB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links