Defensive Carry banner

Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work?

12K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  MdMike 
#1 ·
I hate making a fool of myself and I've tried to think what "unintended consequence" law would make this a bad idea ... but I can't think of one.

Anyway, I have seen a few IWB clip on holsters that I like tghe design of BUT I really want an OWB clip on.

I draw and shoot right handed. So what would be wrong with ordering a LEFT HANDED IWB clip-on and simply clipping it on OWB on the right side?

See what I mean? Or did I just make myself out to appear really dumb?

#5 ·
The clip is still on the outside of the holster, even on your right side.
Besides, with only a clip securing the holster, you'd get terrible wiggling and a very good chance the holster would come off on the draw.
I dunno, AZ. Close your eyes and picture it.

You've got an IWB clip-on holster designed to be worn by a left-handed shooter. So the holster itself is IWB on the left side of the pants and the clip goes over the waist of the pants and the belt.

Yes, the clip will be on the outside of the holster which is still in the pants. But the clip itself will be inside AND outside the pants.

Now shift this same holster over to the right side of those pants and clip it on. The clip will be on the inside of the holster and the holster will be outside the pants.

True or not?

Wiggling? I guess, maybe. I suppose it would depend on how good the clip is. And the holster detaching itself with the draw? Again, I think it would depend on clip quality.

I think a good wide clip with a good "bite" attached from the outside that goes over a belt and then over the waist of the pants and is clipped inside the pants would have a pretty good hold on the pistol.

It's difficult to describe without visuals.

#3 ·
Depending on weapon [tightness] retention and the style of clips used, the holster may not stay secured on the belt as you draw the weapon. Also, a close and tight-to-the-body holster fit will probably be hard to obtain.

#8 ·
I have found that in life...you get what you pay for, and even less if you make it yourself (no offense to those few individuals who are gifted leather makers).
I'd spend the $$ for a 'proper' holster, because your life could depend upon it.

#10 ·
retention matters

While on the surface this would seem to work, & with some holster styles, it may, primarily with an IWB retention is provided by pressure between the belt & your. Body. If you move the holster to the other side of the belt, you lose most, if not all, retention. One obvious exception would be a kydex rig with pressure fit (NOT half kydex half leather, not going to stay tight enough for OWB without being under the belt).
The type of holster makes a difference, some may have belt slots as well as clips to allow for OWB, but usually that means wearing on same side.
The cant (forward or rearward rotationial tilt of holster) will also be a factor. Is it canted forward? If so, it will be tilted rearward if worn on opposite side. Minimal can't or straight up and down (no cant) would be preferable.
Clip or strap type is going to be a major factor also.is it going to wobble, tilt away or even flop over & dump the gun out, or even come unsnapped or slip off (it is on a belt, right, not clipped only to pants material) due to weight of gun & the whole rig hit the floor? Is there a bit of the clip that turns under like a j to catch under belt also?
Many things to consider when you break it down, & I may have missed a couple. I like being able to use my stuff in as many ways & places as I can, but you must truly evaluate the tool to the job. Personally I would not do this unless it were a full kydex style with good retention & the fastening device did the job also.
My 2 cents. :) good luck.

#15 ·
As others have said the holster may tend to tilt a little more and without the belt holding it the retention may be less. I carry IWB but I dont know how much the belt tension really helps keep the holster from tilting, I never really tried to determine if it would tilt if the belt was not there.
There are some IWB holsters that do have two clips however I believe. Those would not tilt, but I guess since you are planning on ordering a left hand IWB to wear on the right side OWB, why not just order the right side OWB in a design that you like?

#18 ·
Found a good solution. A guy was selling one of those Tagua holster on another forum for $12 shipped and I was curious about them.
so I took a $12 gamble. And it paid off in spades!

Here's some info on it from an ebay ad. But Natchez sells the same holster for around $14, a lot cheaper than this ebay guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IWB-ITP-INSIDE-...780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5188bfe6ac

Good quality leather and double stitched. It's tight and sturdy. It goes IWB, OWB, SOB. Can be clipped onto pants with no belt or it can be used yaqui style using just a belt with the clip removed.

It's ambidexterous too because it's not a form molded to a specific firearm but it fits my TCP very nicely. And it's real snug. The leather is good quality and it's double stitched.

I was worried that for only $12 it wouldn't be much of a holster. I was wrong. It's a great holster.

It's equal or perhaps a little better build/quality wise to the Don Hume line.

#19 ·
This is exactly what I do. I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe to accomodate CCW. Some of my pants fit me, but not my super-wide Glock30sf. So I use the Comp-tac infidel holster. If there isn't enough room inside the waitband, I put it between my pants and my belt. So the holster is held by the belt the same way it would be IWB, it just technically is sitting on the outside of the pant material rather than the inside.

This gives me 3 benefits.
#1. The super-tight ride of an IWB
#2. The ability to use the holster with my existing wardrobe
#3. Easy on and off for when I have to enter CPZ (Criminal Protection Zones) where carry isn't allowed.

I would NOT get a lefthanded model to clip it outside of the belt alltogether because the clips really aren't strong enough IMO

#21 ·
I'm not the OP, but I'm also interested in the topic. I keep a Comp-tac infidel between my belt and pants. But I'd prefer a Paddle. I've tried the Serpa CQC. It was the most comfortable holster I've ever tried, but it was NOT very easy to conceal at all. Any paddles you'd recommend?

#22 ·
I have a leather holster trimmed with sharkskin from Littlebearholsters. The sharkskin trimmed belt loops holster that is IWB, OWB, Between the pants and the belt( semi- OWB? ) and if you aquire Kydex belt clips it can be a Tuckable holster as well. I like the "BTPATB", it is easy to mount to mmy belt and still press the hand grip tight to my side.
Dave Galloway will work with you to make the holster you need and his pricing is very fair. They have 2 locations; Jacksonville,FL & Clark Fork, ID

#23 ·
I think you will find that, as mentioned earlier the entire package will be weak and wobbly on the outside. There is a reason an IWB clip works and that is because you use your belt and body to help secure the weapon. I think you will find that doing what you want the to have the draw work w/o the holster coming off; you will need a loose retention holster and that makes for a dangerous carry as the gun will not be retined as well as a holster designed for OWB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.