Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work?

This is a discussion on Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate making a fool of myself and I've tried to think what "unintended consequence" law would make this a bad idea ... but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work?

Making an IWB clip-on holster an OWB clip- on holster - Will this work?

I hate making a fool of myself and I've tried to think what "unintended consequence" law would make this a bad idea ... but I can't think of one.

Anyway, I have seen a few IWB clip on holsters that I like tghe design of BUT I really want an OWB clip on.

I draw and shoot right handed. So what would be wrong with ordering a LEFT HANDED IWB clip-on and simply clipping it on OWB on the right side?

See what I mean? Or did I just make myself out to appear really dumb?

2. Remove Ads

With only a clip securing the holster, you'd get terrible wiggling and a very good chance the holster would come off on the draw.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

los
    Depending on weapon [tightness] retention and the style of clips used, the holster may not stay secured on the belt as you draw the weapon. Also, a close and tight-to-the-body holster fit will probably be hard to obtain.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I made one recently made one based on my Double Clip with my new security clip. I am waiting on feedback from my customer and I will be trying one for myself.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The clip is still on the outside of the holster, even on your right side.
    Besides, with only a clip securing the holster, you'd get terrible wiggling and a very good chance the holster would come off on the draw.
    I dunno, AZ. Close your eyes and picture it.

You've got an IWB clip-on holster designed to be worn by a left-handed shooter. So the holster itself is IWB on the left side of the pants and the clip goes over the waist of the pants and the belt.

Yes, the clip will be on the outside of the holster which is still in the pants. But the clip itself will be inside AND outside the pants.

Now shift this same holster over to the right side of those pants and clip it on. The clip will be on the inside of the holster and the holster will be outside the pants.

True or not?

Wiggling? I guess, maybe. I suppose it would depend on how good the clip is. And the holster detaching itself with the draw? Again, I think it would depend on clip quality.

I think a good wide clip with a good "bite" attached from the outside that goes over a belt and then over the waist of the pants and is clipped inside the pants would have a pretty good hold on the pistol.

It's difficult to describe without visuals.

You're right about the position of the clip. But any single point connection will not hold the holster close to the body and will rock.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

This looks like it might work OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEATHER-PANTS-IW...item2a0957b617

I have found that in life...you get what you pay for, and even less if you make it yourself (no offense to those few individuals who are gifted leather makers).
    I'd spend the $$ for a 'proper' holster, because your life could depend upon it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Try using one of your right handed IWB holsters between your pants and your belt; hooked on your belt, but outside your pants. It may just accomplish what you're looking for....

retention matters

While on the surface this would seem to work, & with some holster styles, it may, primarily with an IWB retention is provided by pressure between the belt & your. Body. If you move the holster to the other side of the belt, you lose most, if not all, retention. One obvious exception would be a kydex rig with pressure fit (NOT half kydex half leather, not going to stay tight enough for OWB without being under the belt).
    The type of holster makes a difference, some may have belt slots as well as clips to allow for OWB, but usually that means wearing on same side.
    The cant (forward or rearward rotationial tilt of holster) will also be a factor. Is it canted forward? If so, it will be tilted rearward if worn on opposite side. Minimal can't or straight up and down (no cant) would be preferable.
    Clip or strap type is going to be a major factor also.is it going to wobble, tilt away or even flop over & dump the gun out, or even come unsnapped or slip off (it is on a belt, right, not clipped only to pants material) due to weight of gun & the whole rig hit the floor? Is there a bit of the clip that turns under like a j to catch under belt also?
    Many things to consider when you break it down, & I may have missed a couple. I like being able to use my stuff in as many ways & places as I can, but you must truly evaluate the tool to the job. Personally I would not do this unless it were a full kydex style with good retention & the fastening device did the job also.
    My 2 cents. :) good luck.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1a.jpg
    Here is a FIST #1 which is intended as an IWB holster being warn as an OWB holster. Pic is from the FIST net site. So I guess the answer the the OP's questions is a resounding yes!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

cj
    It really depends on the holster. Some designs are modular enough to convert back and forth (e.g. Raven Phantom/Eclipse).

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Why not wear
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1a.jpg
    Here is a FIST #1 which is intended as an IWB holster being warn as an OWB holster. Pic is from the FIST net site. So I guess the answer the the OP's questions is a resounding yes!
    I have mentioned befor, to the disapproval of some, that with certain holsters and types, wearing the belt outside the holster can have advantages.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

As others have said the holster may tend to tilt a little more and without the belt holding it the retention may be less. I carry IWB but I dont know how much the belt tension really helps keep the holster from tilting, I never really tried to determine if it would tilt if the belt was not there.
    There are some IWB holsters that do have two clips however I believe. Those would not tilt, but I guess since you are planning on ordering a left hand IWB to wear on the right side OWB, why not just order the right side OWB in a design that you like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links