Taurus P709 Slim Holster?

This is a discussion on Taurus P709 Slim Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one of these? Any holster suggestions? Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus P709 Slim Holster?

Anyone have one of these? Any holster suggestions?

Thanks

Virtually any hoster made for the GLock 26 will also fit the Taurus 709 slim. Although you'd think the G26 was way thicker than the Taurus, the holsters acutually fit really well. I own the Bianchi 100 IWB, and it works great. Perfect fit for the G26 and the Taurus. Not sure about Kydex stuff, but anything leather should fit just fine.

I have the BIanchi 100 for my G26 and Taurus 709 slim, as well as my P-64 (ppk-sized) and the cz-82 in the Makrarov size. They hold the weapon firmly and securely, easy to clip on and off a belt or pants, adjustable for any position from cross-draw to almost small of back, and can be had on Ebay for cheap! Planet Optic has them shipped for about $45, but I got mine on ebay for $2, $15, and $20 respectively.

I have a new Mika pocket holster for the 709 for $20. PM me it you're interested.

I just wanted to make the point that not all rigs for the G26 will work, really depends on how the holster is designed. Not saying your wrong with the ones you have but I know that the changes just in the trigger guard area will give you problems with rigs that are tightly boned or some of the kydex holsters.

I'm always going to be of the opinion that you use the right gun in the right holster, I generally cringe at the idea of tossing a gun that's "close" in dimensions into a holster that wasn't designed for it. I'm not saying it's not going to work but generally speaking, especially if your in the market for buying a holster new, just get a proper holster that was designed for the gun. If you have a holster for something else sitting in your holster bin and it might fit, give it a go, if it works and your happy with it, more power to ya.

Also if you put a gun into a holster it wasn't designed for you will usually stretch and change the leather to some degree, as a result the gun it was designed for may not fit as well either. Then you end up with a holster that doesn't fit either gun as well as it should.

Overall just my opinion and experience over the years, I know allot of guys do it, I did it for years with a number of holsters but now that I design and make them I have a very different opinion. The right gear for the right gun.

Take care and enjoy the 709 I've heard nothing but good things from the guys running them:)

Luke

BigO, a DC member here, makes custom leather holsters and has a blue gun for the 709. You tell him what you're looking for and he can design it to order and make it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

i've also been lookin for one. i've been usin an uncle mikes size 12 iwb, but the plastic clip just wont stay around my belt after i get up and down. don't really wanna spend to much i have just ordered a nnew one wil let ya know if it works out. i think i'll end up with a few holsters for this pistol...lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaweber View Post
    i've also been lookin for one. i've been usin an uncle mikes size 12 iwb, but the plastic clip just wont stay around my belt after i get up and down. don't really wanna spend to much i have just ordered a nnew one wil let ya know if it works out. i think i'll end up with a few holsters for this pistol...lol
    I'd check out Side Guard Holsters, I think Erik has a great product.

I have a IWB High Noon tuckable Split Decision, which works very well. They are also reasonable priced. I started out with a IWB Uncle Mikes, but I found it hard to holster if I removed the gun. I wanted to practice drawing with the gun, and I just got tired of dealing with holstering it in the soft UM holster. Once it was in the holster it was OK though.

There is a significant thickness difference between the G26 and the 709 slim, I do not see how you how you would have proper retention with a G26 holster. There are several makers on this forum that make holsters for the 709 Slim including myself. I would suggest you get a holster made for your gun.

I have both a 709 slim and a glock 19 and they are interchangeable as far as holsters go.Love my 709.Its easy to carry,conceal and use.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I have both a 709 slim and a glock 19 and they are interchangeable as far as holsters go.Love my 709.Its easy to carry,conceal and use.
    To each his own I guess, I am glad it works for you. The 709 is a very nice conceal carry gun, I would get one myself, I just do not care for the trigger on polymer framed Taurus guns. I prefer the sear reset on the Glocks myself.

You have private message Tawcat...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ttsail View Post
    There is a significant thickness difference between the G26 and the 709 slim, I do not see how you how you would have proper retention with a G26 holster. There are several makers on this forum that make holsters for the 709 Slim including myself. I would suggest you get a holster made for your gun.
    It depends on what holster you get. High Noon Holsters (at least the Split Decision I have) are not re-inforced and they are relatively soft and works well with a variety of guns that are carried IWB. Just for fun, I tried my G34 in the same holster as I use for my 709 and it fit pretty well. The G34 is the same width as the other Glock 9mm/.40S&W so they should work well. The G34 with its long barrel and slide was too long for the holster, but since the bottom is open, it still fit well since it's really only the frame that's in the holster. With Kydex and hard rigid leather it is much more important to have a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    With Kydex and hard rigid leather it is much more important to have a good fit.
    That is correct in my opinion, I would be very cautious marking broad statements about guns fitting into holsters that they weren't designed for(not you mandalitten). It may work for some holsters but knowing a bit about the two guns and their dimensions they aren't going to work in all rigs that much is sure. So those out there looking for a 709 holster either get a 709 holster or consider one of the rigs these guys confirmed work with a 709 if you're feeling frisky.

Take care!

Luke

I have a supertuck for my g19,but my 709 fits it perfectly.I also have a don hume 721 open top that I got for my g19.The taurus also fits it fine.The trigger guard of the 709 fits both holsters just like they were made for it.sj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links