Car mounted holster

Car mounted holster

This is a discussion on Car mounted holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about mounting a kydex holster to the center console of my car for easy access while on the road. Two questions: 1. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Car mounted holster

Car mounted holster

I am thinking about mounting a kydex holster to the center console of my car for easy access while on the road. Two questions:
    1. Is it legal (FL)?
    2. Has anyone else done it before? If so, could you please post pics of your set-up and tell me if you are satisfied with the results?

Easiest way. I bought a super magnet and screwed it under dash. My gun sticks firmly, easy to remove and never falls off. Sorry about law, I'm not sure bout FL. Doesn't it have to be a two step process to get gun over there..like in a glove box, etc?

i havnt mounted mines yet, but i like this

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...-mod-pics.html

If you have your CCW permit, you can have it anywhere in the car, but it can be visible from the outside...place a small cloth, towel, or hat over it...then you're legal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Try Crossbreed--they have a kydex holster that comes backed with velcro and supply a HUGE patch of the opposite side of the velcro--very sticky--it carries my 1911 perfectly--and with the velcro, you can pull it off and change holster angles as it suits you......Sept 09 030.jpg
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The crossbreed suggestion is a good one. I bought a crossbreed Oahu holster, and put the velcro in the inside of the little slot at the bottom of my drivers side door, and then just slip my GI.45 Micro in there for a truck gun. Works perfectly, as a CCW I don't have to go through a two-step hiding game, and it's not visible by outsiders looking in so it meets state of florida concealment law.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I've heard of people using the Serpa system by screwing the rotating mount under the dash (like on the knee bolster area, under the steering wheel). I guess you can unlip it from your belt and clip it right on the dash without taking the gun out of the holster. Seems like it would work well if you carry OWB.

Pepsi- I like the idea of mounting the holster in the center console. I need to check clearance and draw angle first. My only concern is speed of draw and availability if needed in a pinch. Thanks for the link.

retsupt99 & bigmacque- I have my CCW, just wanted to make sure I would be good to go here in FL. Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowgroove View Post
    Pepsi- I like the idea of mounting the holster in the center console. I need to check clearance and draw angle first. My only concern is speed of draw and availability if needed in a pinch. Thanks for the link.

retsupt99 & bigmacque- I have my CCW, just wanted to make sure I would be good to go here in FL. Thanks
    Yes, you have your CCW. Is there any set of circumstances in which someone else who does not will be in the car with the gun? If so, what you are proposing isn't a wise idea. Besides kids getting their hands on it a friend who is traveling with you when you guys stop at a rest stop might find themselves illegally in possession.

I know I've posted this before and dont' want to sound like a tiresome scold, but guns belong on your person. That reduces the risk of misunderstandings, problems from ambiguity in the possession laws, leaving it behind and having it stolen, forgetting all about where it is.
    RoadKill likes this.

Okay, dumb question, maybe. But I think it'll fit here.

1) Is it okay to leave a gun in a car in Florida? (I'm talking heat, not legality)

2) Does Kydex deform when subjected to the heat that's inside of a Florida car in July/August?

I'm curious, because I can't carry at work, but would like to leave it in the car

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
    1) Is it okay to leave a gun in a car in Florida? (I'm talking heat, not legality)

Assuming your vehicle doesn't actually burst into flames, you'll be fine. The only problem that may arise would likely be with your lubrication.

I've locked my firearm in my car many times, and with 110+ heat and a black car, it get's toasty.

Your gun and ammo will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
    I'm curious, because I can't carry at work, but would like to leave it in the car
    If you're going to be away from your car at work all day, you'd probably better get a car safe rather than a holster.

I'd like a car holster for several reasons, one being that I've not found a belt holster that doesn't end up jabbing me in the kidney when I drive, but if you are just storing your firearm unattended then you should really lock it up.
    telechris74 likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    If you're going to be away from your car at work all day, you'd probably better get a car safe rather than a holster.

I'd like a car holster for several reasons, one being that I've not found a belt holster that doesn't end up jabbing me in the kidney when I drive, but if you are just storing your firearm unattended then you should really lock it up.
    ^THIS

Folks, here's one that no one considered. Take a look: Universal Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount - Steering Wheel Column Application

The NRA sells it in their store The Steer Clear Vehicle Holster Mount, but the price is a little lower at the above website. There are no holes to drill and it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle as needed, say from pick up to wife's car or to the motor home.
    Azchief likes this.

I've been thinking of this for a long time now but I haven't really had the time to do much testing and research. I think it would be a good idea though, I know a lot of instructors teach you to "stage" your gun in the car when you are driving so that it'll be easily within reach. It would be much safer in a holster than just wedged into the seat or something.

That would be the whole point of the holster, you step into your car remove your gun from you onbody holster, put it in your car holster and go until your at your destination and switch back. There shouldnt be a time when the gun is left in the holster and uou exit the car. It wouldn't be intended to be a replacement for a vehicle safe or anything like that. I doubt I'll ever make any other than maybe a personal use one, there's probably too much that could go wrong to make them and sell them to the public but I think it would be a decent idea to stage your gun in a position you know you can get to and if done right it should also keep it from becoming a projectile if you are in a collision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links