Fobus GL-2

Fobus GL-2

This is a discussion on Fobus GL-2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With jacket weather approaching I decided to pick up a Fobus paddle holster model GL-2 for my Glock 17 Gen4. Fits great on my hip, ...

Thread: Fobus GL-2

Fobus GL-2

With jacket weather approaching I decided to pick up a Fobus paddle holster model GL-2 for my Glock 17 Gen4. Fits great on my hip, very comfortable and keeps the gun pretty tight to my side. Only problem is, when the gun "clicks" in, it does not want to come out. I have to pry the thing out.

Is this to be expected since its new and requires break in, or is there some incompatibility with the Gen4 trigger guard that makes it more difficult to remove?
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

The one and only time I ever bought a Fobus holster the fit was so poor that the thing was not useable. If yours is anything like mine was I'd suggest just tossing it. If your budget is limited and you need a good inexpensive holster for your Glock try a Blackhawk Serpa.

VIP Member
    'Nothing to do with Gen4. Most of them are too tight to start with. The retention is in the trigger guard portion. If it doesn't have adjustment screws, just jam a slightly over-sized wrench socket in there, heat it up with a hair-dryer and then let it cool. Repeat/increase socket length if necessary.

RKM
    Man... I have a Fobus and it's fantastic. Retention is perfect. The only downside it it's not very concealable unless you're wearing a big jacket. Other than that, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    With jacket weather approaching I decided to pick up a Fobus paddle holster model GL-2 for my Glock 17 Gen4. Fits great on my hip, very comfortable and keeps the gun pretty tight to my side. Only problem is, when the gun "clicks" in, it does not want to come out. I have to pry the thing out.

Is this to be expected since its new and requires break in, or is there some incompatibility with the Gen4 trigger guard that makes it more difficult to remove?
    Nothing wrong with the Fobus holsters IMO. I have in the past, but don't often use for CC. I mainly use mine for USPSA matches. One thing some folks should realize is the difference in retention, and the draw between leather and kydex holsters. With most kydex holsters, you need to jerk the draw sharply to break the hold. A smooth draw from molded kydex just won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Fobus holsters IMO. I have in the past, but don't often use for CC. I mainly use mine for USPSA matches. One thing some folks should realize is the difference in retention, and the draw between leather and kydex holsters. With most kydex holsters, you need to jerk the draw sharply to break the hold. A smooth draw from molded kydex just won't happen.
    Yeah, I tried that, and all it did was nearly rip the holster out of my pants along with the gun. I will have to try the hair dryer trick to see if I can get it a little looser. I had a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for my 1911 and it was OK. Other than the over-retention issue I think the Fobus holds the G17 in a better position than the Blackhawk did with my 1911, but that could be due in part to the fact that the 1911 is a heavier gun.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

It's against the law to carry a 1911 in a Fobus.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    It's against the law to carry a 1911 in a Fobus.
    There ya go. I'm glad we put that to rest!

Yeah, I tried that, and all it did was nearly rip the holster out of my pants along with the gun. I will have to try the hair dryer trick to see if I can get it a little looser.
    I wasn't suicidal enough to try and make the Fobus I had work for carrying a gun I depend on for self defense. To each his own of course but I'd chuck the darned thing and get a dependable holster. You don't have to spend a fortune either. Only an opinion of course. YMMV.

While probably not the best way to do it, I ended up shoving the barrel of my SP101 into the spot on the holster that clicks and holds onto the trigger guard. After leaving in there for several days to stretch it out a bit, I can now holster my G17. It still retains the gun in place but a proper draw will release the gun as I expect it to.

I'll have to wear it around some and practice my draw before I am completely comfortable with it, but I think the Fobus will fit the bill until after Christmas is over and I can afford to by myself more toys.
    Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    Yeah, I tried that, and all it did was nearly rip the holster out of my pants along with the gun. I will have to try the hair dryer trick to see if I can get it a little looser. I had a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for my 1911 and it was OK. Other than the over-retention issue I think the Fobus holds the G17 in a better position than the Blackhawk did with my 1911, but that could be due in part to the fact that the 1911 is a heavier gun.
    Technique will go a lot farther than a hair dryer IMO. Practice is key. Plenty of folks choose a holster for any number of reasons. The reasons we are a materialistic society is that we expect what we buy to conform to us instead of conforming to what we have. I'll not get into a full page rant here. If you got a lemon holster here, then by all means, ask for a refund before you go customizing it. Best of luck.

I stretched the crap out of my Fobus to get it to work with my G23, and still i feel like when I draw I practically rip my belt off before the gun comes out. Right now I barely use it and use a Galco for concealed carry, and am going to invest in a Blackhawk Serpa for OC.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Rub down the inside with armor all and make sure when you draw it, you are pulling the gun straight out. Both made things right with my fobus holster. I only use mine at the range sometimes.

Links