My thoughts on the Desantis Intruder and more...

This is a discussion on My thoughts on the Desantis Intruder and more... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a couple decent holsters. I had ordered a Galco Kingtuk for my Kahr P9 that I got in a few days ago ...

Thread: My thoughts on the Desantis Intruder and more...

I'm looking for a couple decent holsters. I had ordered a Galco Kingtuk for my Kahr P9 that I got in a few days ago and it is a very nice looking holster. High quality workmanship IMO, but as I mentioned in another thread, it's a little difficult to holster the gun. I called Galco today, specifically explained to the man the problem I was having with the kydex, and he assured me that by stretching the leather, like the "instructions" indicated, all would be fine, so I'm still playing around with that. It's a comfortable holster, I'll give them that, but the fact that the top of the kydex rides just below my pants' waist in the holster's highest setting, coupled with the tightness right now... not exactly the easiest holster for one handed reholstering, but I'm wearing it, stretching it and giving it time.
    And in the meantime I ordered another one for my M&Ps. How crazy is that, lol.
    Actually, it's an exchange after receiving my Desantis Intruder today for my M&P 9c and 40.

So the mailman brought my Desantis Intruder today and I was really looking forward to trying it out, which I of course did. The first thing I noticed was how nicely the gun slid into place. The second thing I noticed was how loose my gun was in it I mean rattling loose. At least before putting it on. The gun does snap into place, but there's a lot of kydex there and IMO it's a one size fits too many guns situation. The gun just seems too loose. Plus the holster did not look like the one on their site with an M&P in it. Well, part of it did. The bottom where the barrel comes out is flaired out as much as the one in the pic. I'm not sure what that's about, because the barrel and front sight certainly don't need that much room, but the top also seemed to have some extra molding in it that my gun did not need. I called Desantis and they said it was for the ambidextrous safety. Well that may be, but my gun doesn't have a safety and neither did the one in the pic from the looks of it. That little bit of extra molding stuck out close to 3/8". There's just a lot of kydex to this holster. And a lot of leather too. It's big and uncomfortable on my body. And my thumb was running into leather on the draw and bungying up my grip. Something I was not having a problem with on the Kingtuk, but then that was with a different gun. Still, the more I looked at both holsters, the more I couldn't believe the Kingtuk was cheaper. The only reasoning I could figure is because they used less kydex? As far as how the Intruder sits, it rides too high, IMO. Even on its lowest setting. There is a lot of gun and kydex sticking out of your waistband, but it does make it easy to reholster. I unhooked the belt clips, big plastic things, and pushed the holster down into my pants another inch and my gun printed much less. And this was wearing a sweatshirt, but my main concern with printing is when I bend over. The bottom of the grip tended to tentpole with the gun riding as high as it was before. Too bad there's not more adjustment, but it wasn't really comfortable with all that leather anyway. It may work for some, but it was pretty painless to exchange and see how the Kingtuk works when that gets here. I already know I like the cut of the leather on the Galco more. Maybe my Kahr will have broken in the other one by then, lol.

Oh, and maybe there's a reason Crossbreeds are 20 some bucks higher.
    Just some random thoughts and opinions.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I use the Intruder with my G26 and it works great for me.I often think even a good holster is not going to work for every body type and every gun,even though in theory it should.I use a thick stiff belt,I guess you do also?

That's why they make so many holsters, for all the body types. It did surprise me though that two hybrids wouldn't have the same range of adjustment. It almost has me wanting to order another make just to see it's range of adjustment. My ideal position would be inbetween those two, but like I said, the actual kydex holster in those two are worlds apart. You don't know until you try. And if there's any adjustment that needs done the Kingtuk already fits better and has easier hardware to work with.
    I have a decent belt. It could be better, it could be worse. It does not affect where the holster sits in relation to the top of my pants regardless.

Sponsored Links