Crossdraw?

Crossdraw?

This is a discussion on Crossdraw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are currently awaiting our CC permits, and now we're faced with the decision about which holster to buy. I've been thru (seems like) hundreds ...

Thread: Crossdraw?

Crossdraw?

We are currently awaiting our CC permits, and now we're faced with the decision about which holster to buy. I've been thru (seems like) hundreds of web pages, forum comments and the like trying to decide what to buy. I have an inexpensive little suede Bianchi IWB which is comfortable, and conceals pretty well for me in a crossdraw position (10 o'clock). But I would like something more rigid because it's a real pain reholstering.

The question I have is this, I see very little reference to people wearing crossdraw IWB.........am I missing something?

I have this for my Glock-36... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/42.htm

I serves two purposes, driving long distances and as a cross-draw holster. It's quite well made, but I only have used it for longer trips.

I usually use one of two others...
    OWB... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    IWB... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Packinpair, you will ultimatly own many holsters. Like Ret stated the crossdraw has its uses. The trick is to find that one thing that does many things well, but accells at nothing. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Yep, you will likely end up with 4-5 holsters per gun. Ok, this is based entirely on my own experience. The reason the cross-draw isn’t so popular, is because it’s actually more difficult to conceal anatomically. I mean, nearly everyone likes the feel of the cross-draw, even if it’s just in the waistband Mexican style (not recommended). Here’s a blip from one holster maker concerning his cross-draw option.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html

see: Holsters/On-the-Belt/ ‘Transverse TRV’
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Cool

I carry my Diamondback .380 BUG in a HighNoon Mr. Softy crossdraw weak side on and off duty. That is the only time I carry crossdraw. My primary is always carried strong side either in an SS III on duty or a HighNoon Public Secret appendix posistion off duty. You really have to try numerous carry posistions and holsters and find out what fits you the best. Good luck.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._mr_softy.html

Just as a footnote the crossdraw is harder to defend as the grip of the firearm is pointed towards the attacker. Where it does come into it's own is carrying a large frame hunting handgun.
    Last edited by Old School; November 7th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

When/if you buy an OWB holster you might consider the Silent Thunder with adjustable cant and sweat shield. This is a Kydex holster with a thin layer of leather glued to the inside surface. There are a variety of mounts available: belt slide, paddle, etc. It can be adjusted to be used in a wide variety of positions: from crossdraw, to appendix, to hip, etc. This allows you to experiment over time with many different positions and mounting styles to see which works best for you, and you only have to buy one holster and a couple of mounts.

The Silent Thunder line of holsters is made by Garrett Industries, but is sold through tuckergunleather.com. The site is a little disorganized, but poke around and you should be able to find the holster and review all the mounting options.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Yep, you will likely end up with 4-5 holsters per gun. Ok, this is based entirely on my own experience. The reason the cross-draw isn’t so popular, is because it’s actually more difficult to conceal anatomically. I mean, nearly everyone likes the feel of the cross-draw, even if it’s just in the waistband Mexican style (not recommended). Here’s a blip from one holster maker concerning his cross-draw option.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html

see: Holsters/On-the-Belt/ ‘Transverse TRV’
    Saber is correct, most have huge holster boxes...I too, have quite a collection.
    You'll eventually find what works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think one of the reasons you don't see a ton of crossdraw specific IWB rigs is that allot of the rigs run some anti-cant which causes a situation where it's hard to keep the grip above the beltline. On OWB that isn't as much of an issue, it's also tough to make something ride in that area comfortably because of the bend at the top of the leg which depending on how far under the belt line the rig runs can cause discomfort while sitting.

Crossdraw as a whole has fallen in and out of style over the years for the reasons the guys talk about above, some feel it's too hard to control. I've heard it slow, etc there are allot of reasons, but like most methods of carry it's going to be a compromise. If you can find a way to carry that is comfortable and works for you great.

I personally run crossdraw from time to time with my BUG, mostly when I'm going to be doing allot of driving I'll throw on an overshirt unbuttoned with the gun exposed under the shirt. That way I have easy access with the strong hand to draw from relative concealment and more comfortably than most other positions. It also doesn't require much of a posture change to draw which might not draw as much suspicion.

Either way there are options out there for crossdraw, and there are some really good options for strong side as well. One thing to note, when I first got into carrying I thought the only way I could conceal a decent sized gun grip was crossdraw because allot of the holsters didn't have nearly enough cant. With enough cant strong side you can conceal even a full sized firearm in a T-shirt without too much issue.

Take care!

Luke

Trying to find a holster is a job in it's self, here's a couple sites you can check out. Welcome to the site http://garritysgunleather.com/Pocket...tyHolsters.htm
    http://www.mecopocketholsters.com/frontpocket.htm
    http://www.holstersrus.com/product_i...5ac4ca1926ca54

multi pistols is what I call HH aka Holster Hell
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

jfl
    Welcome from South Florida (Palm Beach County) !!!
    You'll have fun here, and learn a lot, but, watch out, this place can become addictive.

One of the things I like about crossdraw is that you can draw fairly easily with your weak hand if your strong hand is not available for whatever reason.
    A caveat: some women may have problems carrying full size guns crossdraw.

And yes, you'll end up with many boxes of holsters; stay away from the cheap ones unless you really know what you are doing. Being friends with your local gun shop helps; they might let you try some for a couple of days.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I've never actually contemplated cross draw for IWB carry. Plenty of times I've carried cross draw OWB though. I'm sure rather difficult to find an IWB cross draw holster for a few reasons. The holster should be a reverse cant or at minimum, a straight drop (no cant) holster. One may have good luck with a straight drop strong side holster using it on the weak side. Depending on what you carry for pistols, this will make the grip a rather obvious projection. With a reverse cant holster, less so since most of the times, since hiding the grip is the main issue with 'concealment'. Most times, the pistol's grip should lie at an angle with one's body in order to effectively contour with the body so as not to create an abnormal projection that's more difficult to conceal. With a cover garment, all this becomes less of an issue. Nothing really ever goes "out of style" per se for anyone who carries a firearm. Things may seem that way because they seldom get brought up or talked about, or the cons overwhelm the pros in someone looked up to highly in the realm of combat tactics. Thing is.....there should always remain every option to cover anyone's specific circumstance and abilities. Just look at available options for left handed shooters in any bolt action rifle line. Few and far between without a custom order. Nobody should be penalized for being left handed, it's just a percentages ordeal and a bottom line of sales and stock by the manufacturers. Same way with cross draw IWB holsters. Many times, we have to engineer something for ourselves if what we need isn't readily available. Sometimes we need to re-think the way we do things, and create more options of our own. Many holster makers try to cater to the specific user, or will accommodate special, or custom orders. As with most products available, they are generally mass produced according to the percentages and past history of sales. Remember the Burger King commercials? "Special orders don't upset us." "Have it your way"? Nothing wrong with having them leave off the pickles off your burger. These days, I'd say 50-50, you'll need to pick them off yourself even if you ask they don't put them on. Volume business, and fast foods can be related to almost any industry. A few returns, or complaints are easily taken care of at minimal loss for the manufacturer since there are several thousands of customers waiting in line behind you in sales. Okay....sometimes I don't know why I get going on these things. Thing is, I'm sure you can find something that will work for you, what you want and need to carry effectively. Most important to pursue the issue because carrying and survival is a very important issue to most of us here and you it seems. Nothing is really ever easy unless you have someone else do it for you. Carrying a firearm for personal protection is just one of those things that nobody else can do for you (unless you have you're own body guard). My suggestions? Keep searching the internet.....contact some of the holster manufacturers that you think you'd be interested in.......look into the forum sponsors that make holsters.......ask questions..........never loose sight of your goals. IMO, High Noon is a good one in my opinion, and they won't break your budget (I might suggest you contact them first). I use a Mitch Rosen OWB holster for my cross draw once in a while, and I have a 3-slot pancake Ahern holster as well that will go from strong side forward cant to weak side straight draw, but it's an OWB holster as well. Another quickie idea? Remora Holsters. A few threads about them here on the forum. May be another possible for you.
    Anyway.....welcome to the forum, and I hope you'll find what you need.

jfl
    Good explanation RR.
    Might want to mention that some SOB holsters have reverse cant as well. Still need to try one ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

First of all..........thank you for the welcomes! Boy........you guys really cleared that up! LOL My needs will probably be easier met than hers. Thanks for the input......we will keep looking, studying, and reading. and we'll come up with something. I really liked the comment about the "holster fetish" and I can see it being exactly that! I've looked through the holster picture thread and some of them are just beautiful........I would hate to have to cover them up!

Thanks again!

I came across the MacDaniel II Crossdraw here:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

I do not have any personal experience with them but it looks like what you were asking about.

Sponsored Links