Galco M4X locking holster vs SERPA level 2, worried about holster snatch

This is a discussion on Galco M4X locking holster vs SERPA level 2, worried about holster snatch within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got myself a New G19 gen.3, Does anybody have a Galco M4x Matrix auto locking holster ? how do you like it? etc ...

Thread: Galco M4X locking holster vs SERPA level 2, worried about holster snatch

Galco M4X locking holster vs SERPA level 2, worried about holster snatch

I just got myself a New G19 gen.3, Does anybody have a Galco M4x Matrix auto locking holster ? how do you like it? etc have you compared to the Black Hawk level 2 retention holster like location release button etc,(galco inside thumb safety release/Serpa outside index finger release) The reason I'm asking that working temporary in a Liquor store where I mostly work behind the counter but I'm out sometimes out in the aisles among nice and a lot of NOT SO NICE customers stocking, helping them etc and I try and be aware but worry about a holster snatch of the weapon, I'm carrying my New 19 in a regular leather thumb break holster and being careful I would appreciate any feed back. thanks

2. Remove Ads

I've had both with a G27, Galco was returned within 2 weeks due to the fact that any draw practice, 80% or so of the time ended up in holster removal before the gun would break free of the holster, for how my body is, at 3-4 o'clock wearing position I couldn't get the retention system to break the right way. It's something that may well have been 100% operator error, but I already had a Serpa for the same basic need so I didn't waste too much time with it, got my money back and got some ammo instead.

SERPA is secure fast and comfortable, the paddle makes it feel closer (and secures better to my belt and pants than the Galco), the belt loops let me have it sit a little higher, which may help with concealment (you're in FL so I'm assuming it's of some concern). The thing about the SERPA is the level II in my opinion is still only retention against it felling out if you're in an odd position or running, if the BG knows the purpose of the button it's not at all hard to de-activate it. It makes weak hand draw possible if your strong arm was to be incapacitated, but weak hand seems all to easy for me to think a BG couldn't walk up and grab it if I were complacent. So while it's a retention holster, when I'm Carrying with it my SA acts just as though there is no retention there, and I adjust my body language accordingly. I do really like the button though, and it makes a good high grip with trigger in the same spot on the frame out of the guard easy to repeat with my hands. I've also had to add 3 small 2cm by 2 cm squares to the SERPA to keep it from having any rattle and rocking against the Glock while I walk.

Bottom line, I've tried both and have been happier with the SERPA, neither is particularly poor if you can make it work, and neither is of end all be all quality of holster either. Between the two, I'd be ready to try it and see what works for you.

Glock Certified Armorer

THANK YOU for your fast reply, I appreciate your input,

I have a M4X for my G19 and G23. I love it. I can draw w/o having the holster move as someone described earlier. I am thinking the retention may have been defective. I have no issues carrying (under an untacked shirt). It is comfortable for all day wear and has had well over 1000 draws made from it while practicing with both guns. I would love to find one for my 1911!

Links