Anyone Have Experience with the Seat Carry Car Seat Holster?

This is a discussion on Anyone Have Experience with the Seat Carry Car Seat Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually open carry and as I have my CPL here in Michigan I legal to carry my pistol into the school when picking up/dropping ...

Thread: Anyone Have Experience with the Seat Carry Car Seat Holster?

Anyone Have Experience with the Seat Carry Car Seat Holster?

I usually open carry and as I have my CPL here in Michigan I legal to carry my pistol into the school when picking up/dropping off my kids there but I've been asked by the school leadership team not to do so. They explained their reasons and when everything is placed on the scales I think I'm going to honor their request.

My church is really small and happens to meet in a school. Again, I could Open Carry over my CPL there...but I won't because I simply feel that there should be zero distractions there.

I am in and out of these places consistently every day of the week, toss in the occasional trip to the Post Office and I can see that I'm going to be disarming/rearming quite a bit. Currently I've been leaving the gun at home, which is frustrating, esp when you find yourself getting distracted upon arrival and find out when turning in for that day that you ended up spending the second half of your day unarmed.

That being said I'm wanting to get a good car holster which I can drop the gun in and leave it out of sight until I return to the car where I'll immediately rearm. I'm thinking the Seat Carry will work well, but I'd like to get feedback from anyone who has some insight on this.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

2. Remove Ads

My car is locked at all times when it is unoccupied. If I have to leave my gun in my car I just slide it under the front seat. As soon as get back into the car I re-holster. I would never drive with the gun loose under the seat because it wouldn't stay put for very long.

The Seat Carry could be useful if you had a hard time accessing your gun while seated in the car as you normally carry it. If that is the case as soon as you got in the car you would put the gun in the Seat Carry, and just before you got out again you would re-holster. The Seat Carry looks to be one of the better ways to carry a gun in a car and to have quick and easy access.

I had never seen or heard of the Seat Carry before. Thanks for mentioning it, I now have it bookmarked! http://www.seatcarry.com/

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I've never heard of it before either. Wow that looks like it could work really well for me!

Hmmm I'm not sure if my car seat will accept the straps though, and grey, tan, or black? I have a maroon interior and untinted windows soooooo it's visible, MAYBE black would work, but it's gonna look a little weird.......
    Interesting idea though, wonder if I could personalize something for myself . . .
    Thanks for posting it
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I took a quick look at the Seat Carry and I didn't see a way to actually secure the firearm when you leave the car. I'd be more comfortable with a Center of Mass style safe.

Center of Mass

I got the 4 pack all identically keyed

COM for me too. All my family has one or more, all keyed alike.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

A safe in a car? How can you grab it quickly in a SD situation?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Cars get broken into, and anything inside could disappear. I prefer to lock my firearm in a CoM safe and hidden in the trunk...you won't see it, even if you open the trunk.
    Now if I have to run into the Post Office in this small town, I usually just stick in the locked glove box for the two minute trip.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think the gun safe is really for me to be honest. I lock the car and don't leave anything of value in sight so the chances of me getting broken into go down. Even if I do, and my gun were to be stolen, when I weight the chances of that happening on the scale against the guarantee of the inconvenience of locking my pistol in one of these things a dozen times a week I'd rather run the risk that the gun will be stolen. My insurance would replace it.

Another point would be that my wife is going to be carrying as well as soon as I get her some training in addition to the basic course she had to take to get her CPL. We'll both be having to stow pistols whenever we go to church and thus having two Seat Carries means that we would both always know where to put our guns. Same place for both shooters every time. There is value in consistency.

My other thought which I was seriously leaning towards was tacking a Crossbreed Modular Holster to the vehicle (as outlined about halfway down the page here: http://fnforum.net/concealed-vehicle...ck-t11788.html) because I carry in a belt holster and I like the idea of sitting in the vehicle, drawing, and immediately stowing it in the dash-mounted holster. This method would provide superior muzzle control I think. It also may be be better from a "tactical" perspective.

Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any concealment when I am leaving it in the vehicle for a few mintues here and there as the Seat Carry does. This means that, unlike normal, I would have something of value in view which might incite a break-in. I'm thinking two Seat Carries is how I'm going to go on this. I"ll report back when I tell you how they work out in the real world.

That being said, I am hovering between the Seat Carry and this rig that
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I bought a Crossbreed Oahi holster and anchored it into the slot at the bottom of my door, where you might keep maps and useless lottery tickets. The GI.45 slips in and out of there as I need it, it stays concealed, and it stays confined and not sliding around the inside of the car.

With the door closed, due to the arm rest being above the seat and the holster below the seat, the gun is concealed from all angles.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
    I don't think the gun safe is really for me to be honest. I lock the car and don't leave anything of value in sight so the chances of me getting broken into go down. Even if I do, and my gun were to be stolen, when I weight the chances of that happening on the scale against the guarantee of the inconvenience of locking my pistol in one of these things a dozen times a week I'd rather run the risk that the gun will be stolen. My insurance would replace it.
    - I'm not worried at all about the cost of replacing the gun. I do want to do everything possible to keep a gun out of a BG's hands. Especially one who is simply doing a smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Cars get broken into, and anything inside could disappear. I prefer to lock my firearm in a CoM safe and hidden in the trunk...you won't see it, even if you open the trunk.
    Now if I have to run into the Post Office in this small town, I usually just stick in the locked glove box for the two minute trip.
    That's true, but I wouldn't be leaving it in there 24/7. It's not a safe, it's ready for quick access.
    I have not YET found an on-body concealment method that's working out for me while I am at work. STILL working on that, but in the meantime I'm trying to settle on an easy-access car carry method. Now remember that I deliver pizza so I'm in and out of my car a hundred times a day and while my carry piece is out there I am typically within eyesight, it's not sitting out on the street curb all night waiting for the next smash and grab.

I bought a Crossbreed Oahi holster and anchored it into the slot at the bottom of my door, where you might keep maps and useless lottery tickets. The GI.45 slips in and out of there as I need it, it stays concealed, and it stays confined and not sliding around the inside of the car.

With the door closed, due to the arm rest being above the seat and the holster below the seat, the gun is concealed from all angles.
    Are you left handed?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    A safe in a car? How can you grab it quickly in a SD situation?
    It's only in the safe when it's alone in the car. As soon as I get back in, it gets reholstered. These are small steel boxes with a cable that I loop around my seat bracket and simply slide under the seat for total invisibility.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links