Anyone use a High Noon Yaqui Slide holster?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a High Noon Yaqui Slide holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who has any experience in using the High Noon Yaqui slide holster, or similar one's because I'm pretty sure High Noon isn't the first to ...

Thread: Anyone use a High Noon Yaqui Slide holster?

Anyone use a High Noon Yaqui Slide holster?

Who has any experience in using the High Noon Yaqui slide holster, or similar one's because I'm pretty sure High Noon isn't the first to use the design?

It would be used with full sized, steel 1911's. I've got a gun belt that works just fine when used with my IWB holster, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. But it kind of looks like the holster might flop out at the top a little bit, since it is such a minimalist holster.

So, input and advice is welcome.

On a related note, how about the High Noon Mag carriers, has anyone given them a try?

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/index.html
    link added qks
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Personally when I look at the dings, dents, and scratches on my OWB 1911 holsters I wouldn't have much of a front sight remaining with a minimal style belt slide holster.
    With any OWB that does not fully cover the muzzle you also need to watch that you don't perform any actions that could possibly push the firearm up and out of the holster like hitting the arm of a chair when you sit down.

Were I you I would kick in the extra bucks and opt for their Slide Guard OWB in horsehide which is an excellent daily carry holster.
    You'll appreciate the stiffness and the 15 degree cant.

I've got a Skin Guard (same as the Slide Guard, but in the stocking item material) for my P220, and I do like it, although it's really only seen range use, as I don't generally carry that weapon. You do bring up some valid points on the issue QK. For a little while when I was new to carrying I used the holster that comes with the SA GI 1911, which I think is pretty much the same style, just made from some sort of plastic. I seem to remember seeing some issues with things like that.

I plan on still using my IWB rig from UBG most of the time, but want something in black because I'm picky about having all my stuff match my belt which matches my shoes. But want something OWB for Jacket/Coat season back in Ohio.

But, since I want to be a well informed consumer, lets see if anyone else has experience with this holster and can make valid points for it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Nothing louder than the "clang" of a muzzle hitting a metal chair or hardwood pew in church.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

A Yaqui Slide is one of the holsters I use for my 1911s. If I'm going to be unholstering more than a few times in a day, this type of holster can conveniently remain on the belt yet not get in the way. Yep, if you sit on church pews or hard chairs, you'll hear about it as you muzzle bangs into things. The likelihood of your gun butt flopping outward is very much dependent on how snugly the slide is held to the belt, and the center of gravity of your gun. The Yaqui Slide grips your gun right around the trigger guard, so a relatively short-barreled gun with a high CG will have more of a tendency to have its butt flop outward. But for a couple of data points, I use mine with 4-inch and 5-inch 1911s and the butts stay close to my side.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The yaqui is a nice holster if you want minimal leather, but many 1911's are expensive and customized. If yours is in the upper dollar amount, I would go for more protection.

We agree with OKShooter. This one will get the job done http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_...ide_guard.html

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I've not used a Yaqui holster, but I do use a slide and have for the past 16 yrs, with no problems with the muzzle hitting anything or the sight being knocked off. The last couple of inches of my guns do hang out of the holster. Slide styles are great to use during the winter months. All of my slides do have thumb breaks so the gun pushing up and out is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    The yaqui is a nice holster if you want minimal leather, but many 1911's are expensive and customized. If yours is in the upper dollar amount, I would go for more protection.

We agree with OKShooter. This one will get the job done http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_...ide_guard.html

Alex
    When it comes to 1911's, mine certainly aren't high end, but I do think that I'll be going with something that provides full coverage, I expect your company will be getting another order here in the near future, but I need to figure out which belt holster I want now, too many good choices.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

When I have a 1911, the yaqui style is my favorite. Mine pulls the gun close to the body and is very comfortable to wear. It is true that the muzzle can make contact with things, but if you are not clumsy and watch what you do, I think its a mute point. The one place all OWB holsters hit is on the seat belt buckle release portion of my seat belt. If yo are wearing a cover garment, like in the winter time, I wear alot of fleece pull overs, it provides alot of cushion and protection for the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    When it comes to 1911's, mine certainly aren't high end, but I do think that I'll be going with something that provides full coverage, I expect your company will be getting another order here in the near future, but I need to figure out which belt holster I want now, too many good choices.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    This will get the job done for $50.00 and cover the whole gun http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_...kin_guard.html
    We here at High Noon appreciate the bussiness.

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I have yaqui slides from both Milt Sparks and from either Galco or Bianchi. Have one for the G30 and one for the 1911 .45s. I love 'em!

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    This will get the job done for $50.00 and cover the whole gun http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_...kin_guard.html
    We here at High Noon appreciate the bussiness.

Alex
    That's what I have for my Sig 220, and it works just fine, so I think I'll be ordering one soon, and it would be there for my Holiday leave, since it is a Stocking Item (read one of the better deals in holsters). Along with a Rock Steady belt and mag holder it will be a nice gift to myself.

And I got your PM Alex, understood, just figured it never hurts to ask, you guys will be hearing from me sometime in the near future.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

They are certainly a holster that have their place, but I just dislike the idea of having my barrel exposed...not because anyone would see it, but because of the 'clangs, dings, and dents'.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had that paddle for my G21,and i dont recommend it.
    Check out Raven Concealment.

Links