UBG "Canute" Review

UBG "Canute" Review

This is a discussion on UBG "Canute" Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To give some context, I have had many of the popular and many of the "high-end" holsters out there for a number of different guns: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UBG "Canute" Review

UBG "Canute" Review

To give some context, I have had many of the popular and many of the "high-end" holsters out there for a number of different guns: Milt Sparks VM2, Brommeland MC5, HBE COM3s, CTAC, MTAC, Serpa.

I have ordered my last 4-5 holsters from Eric @ HBE Leatherworks as I liked the way his holsters fit and because of his business break-down in 2007, his lead times had been "short" (4 weeks max...until my last holster ). Well the last COM3 I ordered for my P220 and I was quoted 10 weeks...after 18 weeks it finally arrived but once again his colors vary so drastically and what I ordered as cordovan turned out to be pretty close to black. I do love the quality and fit of my HBE holsters, I just hated the wait and lack of communication this time around. Sorry for the rant, just giving a lead-in to why I chose Nate @ UBG to make my most recent holster for my P2000sk.

I contacted Nate 3.5 weeks ago asking a few questions and received prompt email responses. I placed my order for a "Canute" in cordovan, without a reinforced mouth band and I received my holster less than 2.5 weeks later. Nate completely over-delivered both on quality but also on his lead time which was AWESOME!

The holster is a beautiful cordovan and has excellent weapon retention. The most incredible part to me is the boning which is equal to if not better than my Brommeland and leaps and bounds better than the other leather holster I have owned. I really have zero complaints and will from now on be switching solely to commissioning work from Nate!

Thanks for looking!
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I have a UBG Canute holster for my P220. Thanks to a forum member here that wanted to sell. I'll give it two thumbs up for what I use it for! Nice piece of work IMO.

That's why I ordered my holster from Nate... could not find a negative comment about UBG ANYWHERE on the net. He does excellent work.

Nice looking leather R.E.

I'm about ready to order a few more holsters from him within the next month or so. I have been nothing but impressed with his items and recommend them to everyone that asks!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Not to be ticky-tacky, but that's Mahogany. People will be screaming at me about color choices if you tell them it's cordovan, lol.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Not to be ticky-tacky, but that's Mahogany. People will be screaming at me about color choices if you tell them it's cordovan, lol.
    Right you are...I guess I am so used to ordering Cordovan holsters and belts that I forgot your closest offering was Mahogany..i love it nonetheless. :)
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have one of the UBG Canutes and also a number of the HBE ComIII's. I like and appreciate both but the ComIII's are definitely a step above in my opinion. On my Canute (for a Kahr P9) the front snap wing puckers outward. I believe it would fit a larger person better. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good holster but I still rate the ComIII's better. Not only for fit but for overall fit and finish.

Still, you can't beat UBG holsters for value.
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I have one of the UBG Canutes and also a number of the HBE ComIII's. I like and appreciate both but the ComIII's are definitely a step above in my opinion. On my Canute (for a Kahr P9) the front snap wing puckers outward. I believe it would fit a larger person better. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good holster but I still rate the ComIII's better. Not only for fit but for overall fit and finish.

Still, you can't beat UBG holsters for value.
    Gideon
    I think everyone's opinion will differ and depending upon the age of your COM3...you may be right. I was sorely disappointed in my last experience with HBE which soured my view of the holster quality. That said, even when viewing the (2) holsters objectively, I think Nate's work is better (comparing my COM3 that arrived 2 weeks ago to Nate's Canute).

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Hmm, that's too bad to hear R.E.Lee's thoughts about the ComIII. I'm hoping it's a one time issue as I have a number of ComIII's and was planning to buy more in the future.

I get the impression running a one man holster shop is as demanding as it is making a high quality holster. Seems like a lot of them have struggles in the business at one time or another.

Anyway, Nate does good work and no one can deny that!

Gideon

A couple of years ago I did not find many who made a holster for the CZ 75. But, I got this model from Nate and, am absolutely delighted.

VIP Member
    I have two examples of Nate's work for my P228, and have had friends by several more at my recommendation. Neither I, nor anyone that has followed my advice to buy from UBG, has ever been disappointed in quality, timeliness, or service. He runs a good shop and makes a great product - especially for the price. Congrats.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    I have very intention of ordering a Striker and belt (and possibly a IWB mag carrier if he offers them with the spring clip) from Nate as soon as I can wrangle up the funds. His gear looks top notch!

Yeah my one and only holster that's worth it, came from Nate.

Got myself a IWB Mohagony Striker. Great Holster.

GM
    Nice holster. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have several pieces of Nate's work and second all the good comments here.

Beyond the high quality and value I have really appreciated his honesty and accuracy on delivery times. Very quick.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links