For All You Holster Makers

This is a discussion on For All You Holster Makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a pistol that I'm having a hard time finding a holster for at a decent price. This has mad me think I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: For All You Holster Makers

For All You Holster Makers

I own a pistol that I'm having a hard time finding a holster for at a decent price.
    This has mad me think I need to start looking into making my own but I have no idea where to start aside from needing some raw leather. lol
    So here are a few questions for ya.
    If you can think of anything else please feel free to fill me in.

What tools would I need to work on making my own?
    How do I accomplish the stitching?
    How do I form the leather to match the lines of the gun? (Trigger Guard, Ejection Port, etc...)

Thanks guys!!
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    I own a pistol that I'm having a hard time finding a holster for at a decent price.
    This has mad me think I need to start looking into making my own but I have no idea where to start aside from needing some raw leather. lol
    So here are a few questions for ya.
    If you can think of anything else please feel free to fill me in.

What tools would I need to work on making my own?
    How do I accomplish the stitching?
    How do I form the leather to match the lines of the gun? (Trigger Guard, Ejection Port, etc...)

Thanks guys!!
    making a holster really isnt all that hard.....you just need to take your time and plan everything out, and it should fall together fairly easily.

i followed the steps in this link and mine turned out pretty well....of course youll alter this to the specific type of holster you want to make.....but the procedure is more or less the same....

Making Holsters

pretty much the only tools you REALLY need are a good sharp knife, a drill, and a leather awl....

i start by tracing the pattern of the gun on a piece of paper....and use that to make a template for the holster.....i then transfer that drawing to the leather and cut it out....

then i mate and glue the pieces together and drill a series of holes where it is to be sewn together.....

once its sewn up i take some sandpaper to the edges to make them smooth and flush...

then i wet the holster, insert the gun, and press the leather around the firearm using your hands....you can also use the blunt end of a sharpie for finer details

you let this dry overnight.

once its dry you are done.....feel free to dye it to the color of your choice.....and i like to take some Birchwood casey gun stock wax, and rub a bit into the leather.

thats about it......take your time and have fun.
    Thunderstixx likes this.

This is also another good link.

JDLawhon.com - Holstermaking 101
    semperfi.45 likes this.

Leather awl...good thing ur a medic! Lol

Thanks!
    Charlie

I have worked with leather for years and have made saddle bags, holsters, grieves and m/c tool bags. The first thing is to figure out what you want; IWB/OWB, strap over or open top. Like the other say trace it to paper or cardboard and then transfer it to leather. I use 10oz saddle tooling leather as do most of the makers do. It is very stiff leather and can be tooled with patterns such as a basket weave.

Leather is very stiff until you wet it and then it’s like a wash cloth; very flexible and can be shaped. After shaping when it dries it retains the shape. Sewing with an awl or stitching tool can be done easier in wet leather.

Trying to teach someone how to work with leather here is very hard because there is so much to cover. I get all my supplies at Tandy leather and you can find them on line, they are out of FTW, TX. And have stores all over the Texas.

A side of tooling leather is about $120-$130 or you can get a half of side. You live in the D/FW area go check them out and plan on spending some money. They have sales all the time on tools and leather so it is cheaper to get one of their flyers and build up you tools or make them when you can.

PM me if you have any questions and I will try and answer them

Quote Originally Posted by Mcameron View Post
    making a holster really isnt all that hard.....you just need to take your time and plan everything out, and it should fall together fairly easily.

i followed the steps in this link and mine turned out pretty well....of course youll alter this to the specific type of holster you want to make.....but the procedure is more or less the same....

Making Holsters
    Looking at the link I'd analyze this as a how-to for holster construction, but it does not speak to holster design. You'll be carrying a deadly weapon in it, so holster design knowledge is essential for this task. Ditto on the 'holstermaking 101" link, which assumes that you're starting with a well-tested pattern and experience in material selection: it's a construction site, not a design site. Be wary.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Check out Leatherworker.net: Stand by... in the holster thread more information than you would believe. Also check out adamsleatherworks.com Eric has posted some free videos on how he makes holsters and a few pay to view (cheap) on holster design. Red is right the hard part is not in making the holster which is just a number of relatively simple steps preformed in the correct order. Designing a good holster is another ball of wax entirely.

Sponsor
    Just curious, What price point would you be looking for?

Leatherworker.net is probably the best place to start.

-Clay

I've been kicking around the net pricing materials. Leather gets pricey because of the amount you have to buy. 18-20 square feet is a chunk of money. There are folks on ebay selling from one square foot, to custom amounts. You will pay more per square foot, but you're not buying as much so it's cheaper in total. Something to consider if you don't want to buy a large piece of leather.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Check out youtube..plenty to learn and choose from
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Regarding the high cost of leather. Give Springfield leather a call they will cut the number of sqft you want. Buy Hermann Oak and tell them what you will be using it for. Yes I know Hermann Oak is more expensive but considering you will have a few hours in your holsters at first it seems to be poor economy to invest all of that time and then try to save one or two dollars on leather.

As far as a pc of leather; buying a foot or two is not going to do it because there is no way to get a real idea of how much itís going to take. then there is the left overís when you buy a half of side, me I make belts, tool bags for M/C riders, cigarette cases, cell phone cases, check book covers...the list goes on. Plus you can use the scrap to practice on, tooling and designing or stitching. Very little goes to waste when you are careful, even that has uses somewhere

Leathercraft and Leather Craft Supplies - Tandy Leather Factory
    they have tooling sides of leather on sale right now for 89.00. I have made 8 different holsters so far and there is nothing better then making your own

they are in irving,mesq,dallas, and dfw go over and look around and talk with them. they have basic classes if you want to sign up

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks for asking the question and thanks to all you resonders, I too am interested in getting started making holsters.

barstoolguru is correct about buying sides if you are in business. I regularly buy several sides at a time. The bellies and various other scrap is not used for holsters but for articles that benifit from the properties it has. If you are not in business then buying 5 or 6 sqft of leather is a wise proposition. More than enough to make a few holsters and some other items. If you decide it's not for you then you are not in deep. I would resist buying leather from Tandy. No matter what grade you buy it will never have the look and molding characteristics of Hermann Oak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links