Where to get leather?

Where to get leather?

This is a discussion on Where to get leather? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning on making my own holster but i can't seem to find a place to get leather by the square foot. I've seen ...

Thread: Where to get leather?

Where to get leather?

I am planning on making my own holster but i can't seem to find a place to get leather by the square foot. I've seen to stay away from Tandy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That's the kind of thing I'd probably want to see in person before I buy, so I would most likely try a local tack shop. I'm sure some of the holster makers on the forum know reputable places to buy leather online also.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

haglersp;

Where are you located ? I buy alot of leather sight unseen. You can call Zack Whites, Weavers or a number of other Dist.

If you just want a small amount for a couple of holsters, I will sell you @ my cost.

If interested just give me a call. 678/520-2695.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Springfield Leather Co. Springfield, Missouri Good People

ABC111 that would be great. im in east texas. could you pm me some info on the leather you have that you could sell me? im really busy all day long and wont be able to make any calls until late at night.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Wickett-Craig is a good place, but you're going to buy a side. Zach White is a good place for smaller pieces, but you're still going to buy about 10 sq ft.

Your best bet might be to contact a holster maker via they're email and get some from them (hint, hint).

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

All of the above information is great and you can learn alot from these guys. But if you just want to make a holster, count on about 3 or 5 before you get one that will work. I'm just guessing but you will probably need a pc about 3'x2' or maybe a little larger. That should make about 3 holsters. You'll screw up the 1st two.

If you will pay the shipping (not much) I'll just give you a pc out of Bull Hide @ 6/7 oz.

Keep in mind you will need certain tools, chemicals, thread, ect. You could buy a nice holster with the money you will have tied up in your project. Now discard the money part of it, if you want to continue to play around with leather in the future.

If your interested just PM me.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

to Al. What a great gesture....

to his belts too!!!
    NRA Member
    Glock Armorer
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    Kimber TLE/RL

The only leather generally suitable for holster making is vegetable-tanned cowhide or horsehide. Supplies of good horsehide are irregular at best, and frequently impossible to find. Other tanning methods (chemical, chromium, etc) all leave chemical salts residue in the leather that will interact badly with steel alloys (including stainless steels) and result in damage to the finish of fine firearms.

Veg-tanned cowhide is available from several sources. Much of what you will find (including the big name sources) is imported, and of questionable tannage. Many hides from Latin American sources will include leather produced by using animal urine and/or feces in the tanning process.

I recommend vegetable-tanned hides from reputable North American companies such as Hermann Oak and Wickett & Craig, both of whom will provide a consistently top-shelf product. Unfortunately, you won't be able to find many dealers who will sell a square foot or two. I buy multiple sides in every order from my suppliers, and they know exactly what I expect when I place my orders.

All of that having been said, for your first few projects you will do well with what you can find at your local Tandy store (probably imported, probably of questionable tannage, but your first few projects are likely to turn into "chew toys" for the dogs anyway). When you have progressed to a reasonable level of competancy you will find that the investment in quality leather will add a new dimension to your experience in leatherworking; i.e. easier to cut, easier to mold, better for tooling, easier to finish properly, etc.

The learning curve will be steep, but not insurmountable. I've been at it for over 38 years, and I still experience a few surprises in the shop. Fortunately, I have learned not to waste my money on cheap leather and expect decent results.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

For my first holster, I used a sheet of 4-5oz veg tanned leather I got at Hobby Lobby. It was about $8 for an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. It's thin, but works fine for an IWB design. I wouldn't recommend it for an OWB holster.

Links