IWB holster comfort while driving/seated

This is a discussion on IWB holster comfort while driving/seated within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I conceal I carry my Sig P220R in a CBST at 4:30. I have driven 10 hours with it in the holster, with no ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWB holster comfort while driving/seated

VIP Member
    When I conceal I carry my Sig P220R in a CBST at 4:30. I have driven 10 hours with it in the holster, with no discomfort. Obviously not everyone's experiences are the same. I enjoy the comfort the CBST gives for IWB carry, it's the best I've found. For more "covert" concealment, I'd also recommend the Velcro "clips" CrossBreed offers. Good luck, I hope you're able to find a set-up that works well for your needs.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I don't know how it would feel with a Glock, but I recently started carrying my 1911 in an Isotope 7 holster from Secret City Weaponeers. It's comfortable when sitting or driving.

I'm left-handed, and wear it behind my hip at about 8 o'clock when I'm walking. When driving, I move it forward to about 9 o'clock, and it's just right. The extra cant moves the butt away from the car seat. I think the slightly longer rear loop also adds to the comfort when sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Any other suggestions would be helpful - I'm still going to give this a try for a few more days. Thanks all!
    One thing you can try is to just tuck your unloaded gun into your pants without a holster and try different positions. move it forward and back, up and down, cant it forward and back. Try buckling yourself into a car seatbelt, arrange the gun so it's comfortable, then stand up and walk around. See how the gun is canted and where it's positioned, and imagine adding the bulk of a holster. If you find a configuration that seems promising, then buy a holster for it and see how it goes.

Your second point about needed a cover garment: (1) try the above experiment with layers in this order: skin, underwear, gun, shirt (tucked in), pants, belt. Try wearing a shirt that's typical for you and blousing it around the entire perimeter. Then see if you can live with the effect. (2) Consider whether you want to start wearing shirts with the tail out.

These experiments might help you get a good idea of whether there's any way that IWB could work for you, even before buying a holster for it.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Shoulder holsters

I carry a G19 and have a Glock sport/combat OWB holster which works well but is uncomfortable while driving so I have to transfer the weapon to the glove box while seated and reholster upon exiting the vehicle.

I am considering a shoulder holster which would also be an acceptable means of carry while seated in the vehicle and in colder months outside the vehicle easily concealable.

I am right handed, and trying to retrieve a weapon from the right side of the body is awkward, especially while trying to push clothing out of the way. It seems more natural to me to be able to slide my hand inside the clothing on the left side to retrieve the weapon.

I haven't seen much conversation about shoulder holsters and am interested as to why. What are the pros and cons with this method of carry? Would like to hear your comments.

RGC
    I carry my defender at 3:30 in a isotope 7 that has homemade tuckable clips. It works great for me while driving and sitting.

Distinguished Member
    Have you tried different waistband heights? Since women's pants are all over the map in this regard, I know that some of mine are super comfortable for iwb and some are super not comfortable.

I've also found that thicker belts are better, thin ones tend to cut into my hip bones more. My most comfortable gun belts are over an inch and a quarter.

Good luck.

I am considering a shoulder holster which would also be an acceptable means of carry while seated in the vehicle and in colder months outside the vehicle easily concealable.

I am right handed, and trying to retrieve a weapon from the right side of the body is awkward, especially while trying to push clothing out of the way. It seems more natural to me to be able to slide my hand inside the clothing on the left side to retrieve the weapon.

I haven't seen much conversation about shoulder holsters and am interested as to why. What are the pros and cons with this method of carry? Would like to hear your comments.

For long trips nothing beats a shoulder holster. I wear one with a suit as well. I have a Galco Miami Classic II's for my G30 and my 5" 1911. It has horizontal mag carriers as opposed to vertical carriers with the Classic.

GALCO WEB SITE

I bought mine at Optics Planet for about 143 bucks which seems to be the average price

FWIW;
    I use a Comp-Tac Minataur at approx 4 o'clock.
    If I move it back to 5 while driving,it seems to fit between my body and the seat better.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm going to keep the holster, but frankly, I don't think it will see much use outside of carrying my BUG while I'm in uniform.

I need to be very discreet at work, and IWB carry just isn't discreet enough - on top of the comfort issues.

Most of the time, I'm going to stick with my Smartcarry for my G26, and pocket carry for my secondary LCP.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links