IWB holster comfort while driving/seated

This is a discussion on IWB holster comfort while driving/seated within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK folks...my plan to pocket carry two LCPs has been derailed or at least post-poned due to reliability issues with LCP #2. That has led ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB holster comfort while driving/seated

Question IWB holster comfort while driving/seated

OK folks...my plan to pocket carry two LCPs has been derailed or at least post-poned due to reliability issues with LCP #2.

That has led me to give IWB carry yet another try...this time with a Crossbreed Quick-clip for my Glock 26. I've tried their Supertuck in the past, but it just took up too much real estate around my waist. The Quick-clip is better in this regard.

Here is the dilemma - at 3 o'clock, the top of the holster's leather backing digs into my side and is very uncomfortable. They suggested 4 o'clock, which is much more tolerable when walking or standing. However, sitting is another matter. In this position, leaning back in a chair or driving in my car causes the pistol's grip to dig into my back, and causes pain.

I'm new to IWB carry (tried it a number of times with different holsters but never could make it work) - so, how do you all deal with this?

Getting a thinner/smaller gun is not an option - my reliability experience with pistols smaller than the G26 is not good, and revolvers don't have enough capacity for my liking.

While my Smartcarry sometimes gets annoying, I'm finding that so far it is much more comfortable than IWB, and gives much better concealment as well (my needs are more "covert" than "concealed" which brings up other issues with IWB carry). As far as the draw is concerned, I would always be tucked, so I find no difference in draw speed between the Smartcarry (no need to untuck) and the IWB method (would need to untuck before the draw).

Suggestions welcome!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

I don't know... I carry either a Glock 19 or a full size 1911, always in a Brommeland Max Con V, or a Secret City Weaponeers Isotope 7 (pretty much the same thing). It's not "tuckable," but it's supremely comfortable, even for a 12hr drive to Sarasota. You might not be looking for a different holster, but I do have this in stock for Glock 26, at the moment.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

interestingly enough 4:30 to 5 o'clock is where I prefer to keep my PPS while carrying IWB. That position is the most comfortable for me as when I sit my back just kinda rests against the pistol. The problem is what works for one person doesn't work for everybody. I am not too familiar with the crossbreed quick clip. Is it adjustable in anyway (cant/ride height)? If so you might want to try various positions on the body with different cants and ride heights and see which way works for you.

As far as grip goes I have found that the more cant you have in the holster the more the grip of the pistol will stick out above the belt making it easier to draw.

The holster I use is the tucker cover up plus which is fully adjustable for ride height and cant. I picked this holster because I can adjust it to many different configurations and I could change the clips to a more slim version. The cover up plus is the exact same as the cover up which is $20 dollars less due to the plus having a reinforced mouth for easier reholstering. I went with the plus mainly because I live in SC and if I went to a restaurant that served alcohol I wanted to be able to easily reholster in my car.
    http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/coupfuli.html

I use the Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30 and whether in my truck or sportscar, it really isn't too bad. After awhile, you forget it's there. The supertuck is by far the most comfortable holster I have had.

The Brommeland/Isotope have a more severe cant, which could help your comfort factor. Excellent workmanship also. Once you get a holster you like, keep playing with the position. Sooner or later you'll hit that "sweet spot".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have 6+ of this holster, and my Glock-36 (my EDC) rides in one.
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Quick-clip is adjustable for cant, but not for ride height. When I try the forward cant setting, it is more comfortable...but the rear corner of the slide sticks out from my belt line, making concealment virtually impossible unless I poof out my shirt to the point where I look completely unprofessional.

I guess I can keep playing with it to see if moving it a bit one way or the other feels better...but leaning back on a hard object pressing into your kidney just doesn't feel right.

Unfortunately, I also need deep concealment and cannot afford a bump frisk, so aside from the comfort issue, I'm not sure IWB carry is for me. The clip on the belt would always need to be concealed under a cover garment of some sort (suit jacket, over-shirt, etc) which is impractical in warmer weather. Hmmmm...
    CT Lasers

I'm not familiar with the Glock, but I have found that appendix carry (11:00 for me) works well, especially when driving. I mostly carry an S&W 6906. Curretly, I've been using a Don Hume 715 S.O.O.T holster (straight drop with belt loops), but I,m waiting for a Tucker Silent Thunder which has both adjustable cant and ride height. I also just got a Remora holster and will be giving that a try.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I find that I need to carry at 3:00 and cant the butt forward about 25 degrees. This keeps the butt from printing when I bend over, and keeps the butt from jamming into the back of a car seat or chair when I sit down.

If you have to hide the belt clips, one strategy is to get a velcro-lined belt and velcro-covered clips on the holster. Thus you velcro the holster clips the back of the belt and there's no clip hanging outside the belt to be seen. Several makers offer this option. One I know of for certain is at www.comp-tac.com. They also have wrap-around belt clips in different colors; and maybe just getting clips that are close in color to your belt will work for you. Their C-TAC and M-TAC IWB holsters are enormously adjustable for rise and cant, so you can experiment a lot when searching for your sweet spot.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Well, I've got a few outlooks on this. I've carried very comfortably at 3 o'clock with my chosen hardware and software while driving or sitting. I've also carried appendix around 12:30 very effectively and comfortably while sitting or driving. The simple mention of a G26 sort of peaked my interest. Carrying is a personal thing. While we can all give good advice as to what you should do, it's all based on our own experiences. I've personally been figuring things out for myself over the past ten years, and good options still come around every now and then. Again....CC is a change of life which demands everything. Most important is to find where you fit in. For some, it's easy, for others it's a test and a search for what's right. Being ultimately comfortable while you are carrying in order to save your life may very well be one of those important decisions you never expected. What's worth more? Your continued existence, or comfort. Granted, many folks won't carry unless they are comfortable while doing so. Once you've got your permit....what do you do next? It's either in your wallet as a card, or it's on you and ready to use. You'll find it in due time. It's what you want that will make it all come together. Our men and women overseas are the ones to ask about "comfort". Think about that the next time something "hurts" while you're living in a land of freedom. Work with it IMO.

Every holster design involves compromises among the four basic factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. There is no perfect solution for every user and every situation. What works well for one person in one situation will not serve all others equally well.

IWB-style holster maximize concealability by keeping the bulk of the holstered handgun contained within the trousers. This enhancement in concealability can involve compromises in accessibility and comfort. Some folks (like myself) can't stand to carry IWB for any extended period of time.

Many IWB-holster users report that they must purchase trousers and belts about 2" larger than usually worn. Some report chafing and/or rashes caused by friction and contact with the skin, and many require special undershirt arrangements to avoid constant irritation.

I receive inquiries from potential customers frequently regarding IWB-style holsters. For those who appear to be new to IWB carry I always recommend that they carefully evaluate their needs and tolerances prior to investing in a holster that might not meet their requirements.

IWB does not work well for everyone.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I don't have allot to add that the other guys above me didn't suggest. But I do have one bit, tuckable IWB rigs are even more subjective in my opinion than normal IWB rigs. I haven't seen a rig that for me doesn't show some kind of bump or anomaly on my belt line while in tucked configuration with a thicker gun(and most thinner ones). The Glocks as a whole are very thick and blocky which tends to emphasize that very problem. I don't know that your going to find the right rig IWB that will conceal enough and still be comfortable enough for you to be happy with the results.

Personally I don't think you're off base with pocket carry and the smart carry but I would consider seriously getting into something thinner than the Glock to try, even if it's just borrowing a friends gun who carries(pending that's legal in your state), and testing it. I've found that between my PT145(which is about as thick as a Glock) and my PF9 there is a very large difference in ability to hide the gun tucked. Granted big disparity in capacity and caliber as well but as always carry is a compromise;)

Good luck sir, hope you find the right holster and carry position for ya!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Yes indeed, it is all a compromise. Back in the Army, when deployed to Somalia, I was more than happy to wear a heavy kevlar helmet, a flak jacket (no body armor back then like they have now) and all the associated heavy gear - in 120 degree temps. Of course, I didn't really need to worry about concealing anything either. And...I was much younger then.

I guess the bottom line is that the Smartcarry and pocket carry works for me all the time, in any situation. IWB would only work if I could use a cover garment - which isn't always possible. I'm also a firm believer in keeping things as consistent as possible, so you don't reach for your gun while under stress only to find...woops...I didn't put it there today.

While some may want to dismiss it, comfort is a real issue. It makes no sense to carry a handgun, only to have it cause you back pain issues in the future. That's happened to some folks right here on this forum.

I have another week to try the Quick-clip - one of the reasons I bought it is because of their return policy. They also seem to be one of the few holster makers that make a IWB tuckable holster for the G26 with the CT Laserguard, in a reasonable amount of time.

I was thinking that maybe folks who use IWB at 4 o'clock were removing their handgun from the holster while driving for extended periods of time, which is something I'd rather not do. So far, from the responses given, that does not seem to be the case. I guess everyone is indeed different, and many can tolerate carrying a gun there in comfort while seated - I just don't seem to be one of those folks.

Any other suggestions would be helpful - I'm still going to give this a try for a few more days. Thanks all!
    CT Lasers

I have concealed belt bulge by lightly blousing my shirt all around my waist. For you non military types go Google ! My IWB's are a G30 or a Kimber full size. My Glock in a Supertuck and my Kimber in a Tucker The Answer with leather liining

The other thing I have found very helpful is using maximum cant. This really adds comfort while sitting and also helps concealment by pulling the grip in tight to my body.

Of course as mentioned all this is extremely personal and subjective.

Good luck

I carry M&P's at about 3:30 most of the time, and alternate between a Crossbreed Supertuck, and a Brommeland Max-Con. The only thing I can add to the above is that for some reason, in the Max-Con, the gun is more comfortable a bit further forward on my hip, and it "rolls forward" as I sit down to give me a "lot" more comfort that the Supertuck. The cant is identical. That said, the Supertuck is probably a shade more comfortable for doing serious activity. I tend to wear the Supertuck when I'm physically working hard, out in the rain, etc. And the Brommeland most of the time.

Over the years I've probably spent more time carrying "appendix" than anything else, and for my M&P's, I've not found better than Alabama Holster's Appendix rig (get the tuckable belt loops, not the j hooks). I've tried the majority of what's on the appendix market, at least in style, and these guys are just pretty awesome. I'm thin, and I think that helps, but there is no print at all with my shirt tucked in over even a full size M&P. I might point out though, most will not be happy with the weight of a full-size hanging there, I use the compact in that position.

I also keep a Kahr PM9 around a good bit, and although pocket carry is very handy (M&Pc works too if you've got big pockets), its just pretty poor access when sitting. Smart Carry solves that problem. Interesting to me at least: I've found my 4" Kimber conceals every bit as well in the Smart Carry as the PM9! I still carry the PM9, but every now and then, when deep concealment is everything, I stick the Kimber in there. Lastly, the Smart Carry option is useless to me for the double-stack pistols. My M&Pc creates a bulge that doesn't even look, well, normal. And the full size barrel hits the chair & then pushes my belt up, and looks like I've got a board in my pants. I'd just wear a fanny pack, if those were the only two options.

And though it wasn't asked, for driving alone, I sometimes use a Coronado Stealth, which fits everything I have, lays comfortably on my right leg, and is every bit as fast as anything else when seated in a car, and not too bad elsewhere (with practice). Just gotta get over the whole fanny pack phobia, and know that you're being "made" everywhere you go. At least that's the case where I live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links