Weak Side Carry

This is a discussion on Weak Side Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last week I have been running around with a splint on my left hand. I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the ...

Thread: Weak Side Carry

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Weak Side Carry

For the last week I have been running around with a splint on my left hand. I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the weak hand (left side) operated on last week. I am having the strong side (right) done in two more weeks. I will have to carry on left side after the next surgery. I have no left handed holsters and hate two buy one for a couple of weeks use. I am thinking that a fanny pack might be the way to go. Something I can use after the surgery and there are many occasions one would be handy. I do practice shooting with strong and weak hand so I can get by one handed if need be. So give me your thoughts and suggestions on this.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have holsters to use with either hand. I like to carry more than one gun, so it was a good investment for me. My past experience has been breaking almost all my fingers. Not all at the same time. So I know one hand can be incapacitated. I also practice with both hands, and about evenly.

If you don't anticipate using the lefty holster on a regular basis, then don't buy one. Sounds like you have a potential alternative worked out.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

RLS
    I use Don Hume JIT holsters frequently. The JIT style is versatile, I can carry strong side, crossdraw (for car carry and/or a New York reload) or do a cavalry style draw, if necessary. For the money, I believe the JIT to be the best value holster on the market.

I like the fact that I don't have any zippers to deal with or the scritching of velcro pealing.
    RLS

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Go for it, you will only be incapacitated for a short time and a fanny pack is a good option. Just don't get a black one as they then to scream "gun". Also, you will probably have a splint or cast on so no-one will give it a second thought. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a fast recovery!

Assistant Administrator
    Many rigs if used reversed can work quite well set up as cross draw - providing cant not excessive. That would be my choice - OWB too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mike 1,
    Not an answer to your question but a question of of my own.
    How long is your recovery time with the surgery? I may be getting to that point myself with C/T. Which I hope not because I really can't afford any down-time and I'm really a baby when it comes to anything medical-related.

On to your question - I rarely recommend a Yaqui slide type holster to anyone, but you can pick them up rather inexpensively, and wear the same holster on top of the belt OWB on one side and still OWB but under the belt on the opposite side, if you follow me.
    I don't think crossdraw would accomodate you because you need something weak-side carry that you can draw and fire weak-handed, correct? You'd be doing a reverse calvary-type draw with a crossdraw rig worn left-side for a right-handed shooter if you tried drawing it with your left hand.
    Last edited by Mark Garrity; July 7th, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Mark you are correct that I will be drawing and firing left handed. I appreciate the suggestion on the Yaqui slide. However I hate to purchase something that will be of little use after my recovery. So I am still leaning toward the fanny pack.
    Now on to the surgery question. I am going to be off a total of six weeks. Three weeks per hand. The hospital I work for will not allow us to return to work with any limitations. So I must wait until I am able to lift and position patients before returning. I know what you mean about the down time. I had my own business for twenty years. The orders will stack up in a hurry. What you might consider is doing the worst hand and waiting a while to do the other. As far as worrying about the surgery itself don't. I have had to take one pain pill the day after surgery, after driving 120 miles running errands for one of my daughters. Only time I have hurt since the procedure.
    Now Mark a word of caution. Don't wait to long if surgery is inevitable. I delayed mine for a number of years. The surgeon sent me in for a nerve and muscle study and I have lost some muscle function in my right hand. Nothing I should ever notice but if I delayed much loner I could have lost more. So keep that in mind when making your decision.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Do you usually carry IWB? You could pick up one of the inexpensive uncle mikes holsters in lefty style to use for a couple of weeks. It wont break the bank at usually about 15 buck. Thats what I'd do.

mike_1,

There are benefits to becoming proficient with one's weak hand. You never know when you may need it in a defensive situation...

I do practice shooting with the weak hand. It's just my holsters aren't real conducive to a smooth draw with my left hand.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1
    I do practice shooting with the weak hand. It's just my holsters aren't real conducive to a smooth draw with my left hand.
    Mike
    Maybe I missed it, but what kind of gun do you have?

If you have a J-frame revolver, go "Mexican" carry, no holster, just to the left of your belt buckle, 10 degree muzzle forward cant.

Carry's like a dream!

I am a Glock man so I think that would be a bad choice for me. However might be a good excuse to pick up a new pistol.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i carry my BUG on the left side.....
    If this is a temp situation, I'd go with an Uncle Mikes IWB....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Links