Holster review for runners, bikers, and hikers and other active folks

This is a discussion on Holster review for runners, bikers, and hikers and other active folks within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of us who are crazy about the outdoors and love to spend hours in it, I have found a great holster that I'd ...

Thread: Holster review for runners, bikers, and hikers and other active folks

Holster review for runners, bikers, and hikers and other active folks

For those of us who are crazy about the outdoors and love to spend hours in it, I have found a great holster that I'd recommend thus far. http://www.pistolwear.com/holsters.htm I carry a compact 9mm sig sauer, and recently ordered the Pistol Wear PT-2 CHL. I tried it out each of the last 3 days, and I must say that it is the best way to carry that I've found yet, running/biking with technical clothing on. Obviously, I cannot attest the durability of the product yet, but if there are any disappointments, I'll post them. This holster is reasonably priced, comfortable, holds the firearm close and it's almost impossible to see, on my average body frame, with a simple t-shirt and shorts on. At this point, I do not think it's the best solution for CC'ing for routine activities such around the house, leaving your house, traveling in a car; I think the IWBs would are a little better for that. It could provide a good solution for camping, and other activities. The pistol wear holster would suffice, would do the job, and is a great alternative if the situation requires something different. For running and biking - it's great. One note to point out is that the firearm retension is passive, in that the top of the pouch is open, closing on itself (if that makes sense). There isn't a snap or velcro to close the pouch, although it's not necessary IMO. The firearm does not move around at all and since it's against a person's abdomen it should remain fairly secure. For example if a person is to trip and fall, the firearm should stay secure. The strap is comfortable, and there is a moisture barrier to protect the firearm. The moisture barrier does protect from sweat, ect., but if a person were to perspire all day, perspiration/moisture might get to the firearm at some point, but I haven't had that happen. If you have an active lifestyle, like me, you might want to consider this holster if you are looking for something to accommodate the craziness.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

2. Remove Ads

Those look like a great option for carrying while cycling. Is it made of neoprene? Is it hot?

It is made of neoprene; when I worn it is has been rather cool in our area lately, so it's difficult to say if it's hot to wear. When the weather warms up next spring :) I'll have a better handle on it. My guess is that the neoprene can get a little warm, especially on really hot days. I wouldn't view it as to much different that the increased trapped heat that an IWB holster might cause. Hope this helps.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Any more info sir? Pics?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I like the one that looks like a manzere (or the bro).

Only thing is that without a true safety on my gun, I'd sure like a more rigid trigger guard. Especially if I am jogging wilst my gun is pointed at the twig and berries.

Clay--info and pics at the site, which is linked in 2nd line of OP.

I bought the Trump Card model. It takes two hands and some wrangling to draw your gun from the holster. And it comes with a warning "To prevent accidental discharge, do not carry a firearm with a round in the chamber." By the time I've lifted my shirt, used both hands to wiggle the gun out, and both hands again to chamber a round (in my semi-auto), I could be dead several times over. I'll stick with my SmartCarry.

Other than that, it's soft, light and very well made.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I bought the Trump Card model. It takes two hands and some wrangling to draw your gun from the holster. And it comes with a warning "To prevent accidental discharge, do not carry a firearm with a round in the chamber." By the time I've lifted my shirt, used both hands to wiggle the gun out, and both hands again to chamber a round (in my semi-auto), I could be dead several times over. I'll stick with my SmartCarry.

Other than that, it's soft, light and very well made.
    I don't have one, but that that's about what I thought would happen. Plus it would make a big belly like mine bigger. I use a cell pal, and I can ride a bike, walk a hike w/ it. BUT... I cannot run w/o that thing flopping around. (With a belly like mine you could see I don't run very much, LOL.) Every concealed holster is a compromise. Glad you like your pistolwear. Maybe I'll try one sometime... I've tried the smartcarry... not for me.

BTW-- ..."To prevent accidental... blah, blah..." Couldn't ALL holsters be made out w/ this warning??? Sounds like they're covering their butts!!!!

I bought the PT-1. and I agree with mfcmb's post, It conceals pretty well but there is nothing to hold your gun in a fixed position. if i drop in my Sigma it usually ends up upside down or some swkward position that would take some wrestling to get it out safely,I wouldn't recommend because you never know which position your gun will be in when you reach for it and the time it takes you to finally get it out your gonna be dead. If they had thought the design throught a little more it could have been a good idea.It might be useful for some other non critical EDC items.

Then I'll stick w/ my cellpal. I carry everything from my TCP to my XDm, but plan on carrying my 905 snubby mostly, once it gets broken in. BTW-- the gun is always in the same position, LOL.

Links