Ankle Carry

Ankle Carry

This is a discussion on Ankle Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys anyone ankle carry if so lets see some pics?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry

Ankle Carry

Hey guys anyone ankle carry if so lets see some pics?

Ankle carry is a rarefied method that requires training and practice... proceed with caution!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I saw a video (tried to find it on YouTube) of a of draw from an ankle holster that the guy pulled off very quickly. Instead of bending down to left the pant leg and draw he would lift the leg with the firearm on the ankle, grabbing a handful of his pants below the knee, allowing the leg to drop exposing the firearm while grabbing the grip of the firearm and letting his leg drop to complete the draw. It does require a lot of practice (with an unloaded firearm) but with the proper pants, holster, balance and technique it got very fast and fluid with the draw.

Having said this finding temporary cover that allows you to draw in a method that is less prone to error should probably be your primary option.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

I ankle carry.A knife.Clipped to my boot.Near the ankle.

Im sorry,but i have never heard much about ankle carry,and it doesnt suprise me.I tried it once with a Springfield EMP,didnt work.Any smaller gun than that and you lose accuracy and capacity.

When I was taught to draw from an ankle holster... we were taught to drop onto our back, bring both knees up (effectively exposing your butt, but protecting your vitals and making a smaller target), and do a "double pump" of the leg carrying the firearm. One to pull the pants up and the other to draw the gun. Your leg moves, not your arms. You shoot between your feet.

Yes,break one of the most important rules of a fight.Stay on your feet.

Problems unholstering aside, all the holsters I've tried either fell down, were too big, or cut off circulation. YMMV
    I think the ultracarry or underwear holsters are better options myself, but not everyone is a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Yes,break one of the most important rules of a fight.Stay on your feet.
    I suppose rather than open this for intelligent discussion I could say something sarcastic, too, but I'll stick with what John Farnam taught... if I ever have the need to use an ankle holster that is.

It has its place, just a very specialized place. Not practical for most applications unless seated or as a place for back up carry. It used to be used when dress made it impossible to carry concealed due to no cover garment, but tuckable style holsters and pocket holsters have accomplished that.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Best way I know of to get shot, stabbed or struck on the top of the head. My one attempt to ankle carry as a cop ended with my Smith 60 bouncing down the street ahead of me as I chased after a ne'er-do-well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Best way I know of to get shot, stabbed or struck on the top of the head. My one attempt to ankle carry as a cop ended with my Smith 60 bouncing down the street ahead of me as I chased after a ne'er-do-well.
    A couple years back or so I read a story in Concealed Carry Magazine about a guy who was killed while trying to get to a gun in an ankle holster. While he bent down he left himself open to getting stabbed. Would have been better off standing and taking on the attacker H2H.

The only place where I think they make some limited sense for civilian carry is when seated in your car.

For me, it's pretty much a mode for a BUG carry only. Can't see it being very practical for quick access to a primary, but I've used it in that role once and awhile; it really depends on where and what I'll be doing during the outing. My LCR rides perfectly in that role and @ 13.5 oz, I can wear it all day long with no fatigue at all. I think it's a good option for the BUG role mainly because it'll most likely come into play after your primary is either dry, or down; at that point you should have found suitable cover from which to draw and make ready from the slow presentation. Like everything else dealing in CC. Training would make the draw much better, but IMO, you'll get to a point were it comes down to what type of attire is being used, (slacks or jeans). I can see a clear advantage in the slacks, much faster draw, and in that role I'd say it would be a better draw, if you could find standing cover and just lift the ankle and clear with your weak hand and draw your gun, but stay on your feet and maintain your balance, we fight much better when those two things are employed.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Wow, 12 replies and not one person replied to what the OP asked. He asked to see pictures, not hear opinions. I am out of town jrkrk or I would have gladly taken a pic and posted for you.

Well, I guess we can add your post to the count too huh..

Twice to boot..
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; November 27th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I am out of town jrkrk or I would have gladly taken a pic and posted for you.
    Take the time to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links