IWB holster I just made, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on IWB holster I just made, any suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm excited that I found this site as it seems to have just about the most active holster forum around. I've just completed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB holster I just made, any suggestions?

IWB holster I just made, any suggestions?

Hi all,
    I'm excited that I found this site as it seems to have just about the most active holster forum around. I've just completed the fourth holster I've ever made and I'm generally pleased with it although there are many things that I will change on the next one. This is the first time I've posted a pic of my work and I'd love to hear any criticism/comment (constructive or otherwise) that anyone has. I've noticed that a number of pro holster artists post here and so I figured this would be a great site to post on.

I do have one ? for the pros: Do you think it's very important to glue the "wings" of your holsters? If so, what benefit does this have?

BTW, this holster is for an HK P2000.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Squiggy; July 8th, 2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added another photo

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Very nice looking work there. Looks nice and functional as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Very fine looking rig. Appears you have a machine too as stitching is real tidy
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Looks good to me! I ALWAYS glue ANY leather parts to be combined, this will add strength at stress points and prevent any movement during assembly and sewing.
    www.sunriseleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy
    Hi all,
    I'm excited that I found this site as it seems to have just about the most active holster forum around. I've just completed the fourth holster I've ever made and I'm generally pleased with it although there are many things that I will change on the next one. This is the first time I've posted a pic of my work and I'd love to hear any criticism/comment (constructive or otherwise) that anyone has. I've noticed that a number of pro holster artists post here and so I figured this would be a great site to post on.

I do have one ? for the pros: Do you think it's very important to glue the "wings" of your holsters? If so, what benefit does this have?

Squiggy:
    I'd say you're doing pretty damn good if that's only your fourth holster!!

The only suggestion I would make is to reduce the stitching hole size and reduce the spacing between the holes. Yes you should glue the wings. I agree with 2cam2go on that issue. Also, it keeps the leather layers from sliding back and forth and stressing the stitches during use.

Im not a holster maker but I think it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy
    Hi all,

Hey, that looks good!!!

I'm a hoosier myself, just north east of Indy....
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Distinguished Member
    looks great for being your fourth one! wish I had that kind of skill, to make a holster.
    RKBA

John

Thanks guys! I just uploaded another pic. It's of my edge burnishing job which, safe to say, leaves something to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Appears you have a machine too as stitching is real tidy
    I actually don't have a machine. Each one of those holes was marked from a pattern that I made, then punched out one by one with single 00 punch. It takes forever! It would be great to have a Campbell Bosworth stitcher. I, however, don't see how that will happen as I'm a single dad and full-time student, which means I'm broke!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti
    Squiggy:
    I'd say you're doing pretty damn good if that's only your fourth holster!!

The only suggestion I would make is to reduce the stitching hole size and reduce the spacing between the holes. Yes you should glue the wings. I agree with 2cam2go on that issue. Also, it keeps the leather layers from sliding back and forth and stressing the stitches during use.
    Thanks Matt. That just made my day!
    I had a feeling that glue could solve a few problems I'm having. For instance, after molding, when the holster is drying, the edges tend to seperate leaving a hairline crack. I fill this with beeswax after burnishing and then coat that with edge finish. Glue would fix this problem. I was just hoping to avoid using something like Barge or Weldwood because they are so nasty.

My next holster of this style will have a number of changes such as improved clips, different clip position, and the gun will ride slightly lower. I also need to bust out my trigonometry skills so that I can tweak the cant and be able to confidently document what I think works best.

Besides this IWB I also have a traditional OWB pancake design and I'm working on a tuckable pancake.

I toy with the thought of starting my own small business sometime. There is such a large demand for quality gunleather, but it takes practice, lots of pratice. I find myself getting discouraged a lot. But getting compliments from folks like yourselves gives me hope enough to beat that pessimism back down to where it belongs, under my heel, eating my dust. Cheesy but true.

Hey jwkimber45, if you ever want to go shooting I'm a member of a great range/wildlife conservation area on the west side. I'll send you a PM with some info.
    Last edited by Squiggy; July 8th, 2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: told jwkimber45 that the range is on the east side when it's on the west.

Sponsor
    Nice holster is right. Wish I was as good with my hands as you are.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    all i can say is Dayumm , and to get the specific criticisim you got from Del Fatti ... well your well on your way , maby someday you will make a " on the way reject prototype " for a gun i own and carry so i can do a little " cybertrading " and get it off ya LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Looks Good i don't know anything about making a holster to offer a opinion

Nice work, and welcome to the forum!

I think Redneck Repairs is right, you need to get a few prototypes out and about for field testing. One that would fit a Kimber Ultra would be just about right . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Squiggy...dude that looks good!

I've thought about trying my hand at some leather when I get a few radio projects off the bench. How did you get started?

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'll be your test pilot-Make me an IWB to fit a SIG 228. Great looking job! Keep it up!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links