Dangerous or Safe?

This is a discussion on Dangerous or Safe? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have all ways carried a loaded double action pistol with a decocker I recently switched to a 1911 style when I got a Para ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous or Safe?

Dangerous or Safe?

I have all ways carried a loaded double action pistol with a decocker I recently switched to a 1911 style when I got a Para with the LDA trigger. I didn’t like the gun and had many problems with it. I switched toa Kimber and I love it. I use either a IWB with no thumb break or a SOB again with no thumb break (I hate thumb breaks). I was just looking for some feed back on if this is a good idea or not. Hell its got to be safer than a loaded Glock. Thanks for the opinions
    Last edited by laski; July 8th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    If you are referring to carry cocked and locked, it is perfectly safe and the 1911 shouldn't be carried any other way. Takes a while to get used to but you will.

safer than a loaded Glock
    Guess that depends on who's carrying it.

Carry your gun the way it was designed to be carried. No gun is any "safer" than the person carrying it. Hardware cannot make up for any personal short-comings.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I tried to get a pict of the rig but I can't up load it for some reason.

Try it again in a few minutes. I just had a problem making a post in another thread. Took a couple of tries.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike

Carry your gun the way it was designed to be carried. No gun is any "safer" than the person carrying it. Hardware cannot make up for any personal short-comings.

mm
    Absolutely true - the safety on any firearm is located between the ears of the person handling it.

If you are concerned, try this: Unload the 1911, verify the empty chamber, cock the gun and put the safety on. Carry it around the house for a couple days, and you should soon see that the safety never gets flipped off by itself, and the hammer never falls.

Properly handled, the 1911 in condition one is very safe. Improperly handled, no firearm is safe.

Matt

Hi, Laski. I carry my Kimber either in a pocket holder or a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB. While I know it's safe to carry with one in the chamber and the safety engaged, I am still learning to accept that way of carrying. Between the three mechanisms which inhibit a discharge (safety, grip safety, and no finger on the trigger), what is going to cause an unintentional discharge? I don't want to be in a situation where I waste precious moments racking a slide that should have been dedicated to terminating an imminent threat. ---Jeff

I carry a 1911 C&L every day with zero problems ever.

IMO there are 4 safties on a 1911,

1) between your ears
    2) thumb safety
    3) grip safety
    4) finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

A well made holster is your friend and with a good holster you need no stinking thumb break unless you want one.

A few pic's to show you, Kimber CDP in a Brommeland IWB Max-Con V. Hard to beat a good rig for carry.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I'm with you .. I don't like the thumb break either.

My Kimber Ultra Carry rides in a Macdaniel II, from Andrews Custom Leather ~ without the thumb break, and it stays quite snug in the thing. I haven't tried jogging with it yet, but I reckon it would hold ok. :)
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Thanks, I feel better now that I know its being done with no problem.
    Stay Safe
    Attached Images

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its all been said . All i will say is the only proper way to carry a 1911 is " cocked and locked " it only worrys because you can see the hammer , striker fired and some other hammer guns you just dont see the hammer .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I carry Cocked and locked everyday The 1911 isnt safer or more unsafe than any other guns out there its all about the person holding it

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd
    Hi, Laski. I carry my Kimber either in a pocket holder or a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB. While I know it's safe to carry with one in the chamber and the safety engaged, I am still learning to accept that way of carrying. Between the three mechanisms which inhibit a discharge (safety, grip safety, and no finger on the trigger), what is going to cause an unintentional discharge? I don't want to be in a situation where I waste precious moments racking a slide that should have been dedicated to terminating an imminent threat. ---Jeff
    Think about it this way. Most guns when you chamber a round, be it a shotgun, rifle, and pistols, they ARE cocked. You just can't see the hammer back. And all most of them have in the way of safties are a crossbolt, or some kind of detent button. Between the operator, the thumb safty,and the grip safty, that hammer on the 1911 is not going to fall unless you want it to.

Administrator
    The high quality leather holsters are so nicely molded to the firearm that a retention strap is pretty much obsolete for civilian concealed carry. I personally would not carry in a concealed holster w/ a retention strap anymore.
    I always spend the extra $$$ & get high quality tightly molded/boned leather.
    Just my opinion on that.

Agree completely...I feel 100% comfortable with a glock type pistol with one in the tube. Cocked and locked seems "dangerous" due to the single action trigger ready to go---but the grip safety should keep the gun from "spontaneous discharge".

Quote Originally Posted by madmike

mm
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links