Bought a new gun belt and I don't "get it"

This is a discussion on Bought a new gun belt and I don't "get it" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I loop the Wilderness belt backwards, with the velcro to the left. That gives me a smooth place for my holster on the right....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new gun belt and I don't "get it"

I loop the Wilderness belt backwards, with the velcro to the left. That gives me a smooth place for my holster on the right.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I loop the Wilderness belt backwards, with the velcro to the left. That gives me a smooth place for my holster on the right.
    I've done that too but then the velcro was in the way of where I like to place a mag pouch. Another problem I have with that particular belt is in threading the velcro thru the belt slots on leather holsters. Great belt but not my favorite for carrying a gun.

I don't know anything about Wilderness belts, but maybe I can add to the Velcro riddle. I use a Crossbreed belt combined with the Super Tuck holster. The belt has a long strip of velcro sewn to the inside of it. I also have clips for my holster that I can switch out. One set of clips are designed for total concealment. They go over the top of the pants and back down, but do not hook under the belt. They have velcro hooks on them to attach to the velcro loops on the back of the belt. The velcro attachment is designed to hold the holster during a draw instead of the hooks under the belt. The velcro clips are not as good at holding the holster, but they are excellent if you are going for total concealment.

That's a good suggestion, radshooter. I think the velcro is on the outside though... unless I'm wearing the belt wrong side out.
    It's Monday now, maybe I'll give them a call and ask them.

There's extra Velcro there, to give you a range of adjustability. They want you to carefully measure for size, because they want you to be right in the middle of the adjustability range, so that you can go tighter, or looser, without changing belts. Also, by posting their measuring convention, they place the onus of proper size selection on the customer, so that no one can say they were sent the wrong size belt. I'm sure it prevents wasted time and hard feelings on both ends of the deal.

While I definitely do prefer a nice leather gun belt, I find the Wilderness 5-stitch and CSM belts to be adequate, even for carrying my preferred sidearm, a full size steel 1911. Others' results may vary, of course.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Yeah, the onus of proper size selection on the customer...

I just got off the phone with them and it's sole purpose is range of adjustability. I explained I measured exactly as the instructions indicated and also the secondary method of measuring my normal belt. She said it sounded right when I gave her my waist size and the FF's size, but yet the belt's tip is not in the middle of that velcro like it should be. I have all kinds of room for adjustment if I drop 20 lbs, lol. Anyway, now I know.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I hear ya. When I wear my P2000 IWB, the tip barely makes it to the velcro, guess I should have went an inch longer...but it doesn't seem to matter as the belt stays put after going though the rings...

While I definitely do prefer a nice leather gun belt, I find the Wilderness 5-stitch and CSM belts to be adequate, even for carrying my preferred sidearm, a full size steel 1911. Others' results may vary, of course.
    While it is probably great for use in rapelling or some such purpose I just don't find the Wilderness Instructors Belt to be useful for carrying a gun, at least not with the type of gear I use. As always of course, To each his own.

I carry an all-steel, 5", 10mm 1911 with a rail and magwell. I also carry two spare magazines. With my 1.5" leather belt, it buckled under the weight of my rig instantly ... literally folded itself flat (parallel with the floor) as soon as the gun went into the holster.

With my Wilderness 1.5" CSM .... nothing moves. I absolutely adore the Wilderness belt. The greatest feature of it is the lack of holes ... infinite adjust-ability means finding the perfect tension every time. I carry at either 3 o'clock or 5 o'clock, so the velcro never gets in the way. As far as seeing the benefits of a super-stiff belt .... I will agree that if I happen to carry my Glock 23, I don't see nearly the benefit I do carrying my 1911 - the 23 is so much lighter the belt doesn't matter.

To the OP - if you're velcro is going from 1:30 all the way around to 3:30 - without a gun in your waist - your belt is too small.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Billy, too small? How far is the end of the belt supposed to overlap the rest? I've got my P9 on now, IWB, and have about 6" of overlap, or "loose" end (if it didn't have velcro). It goes well through the first pantloop and stops at my holsters first clip. I was thinking the belt was too large.
    Either way, like I said, I do like it. It's a nice belt.

RGC
    I have the wilderness instructor belt. It works great for my colt defender and XD 40 SC. Much better then the non-gun 1.5 leather belt I have.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Beet me to it!

I have a Wilderness frequent flyer belt.

I agree that the extra slack is too long, and gets in the way of the holster (especially pancake holsters that are wide).

I also have a Beltman horse-hide belt which is great, but it's too thick for some of my holsters, so I use the Wilderness belt for those items.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just buy a single layer Beltman belt instead of the Wilderness belt.

Check out BULLHIDE BELTS they have some nice holster belts & there all made here in the good ol'e USA

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    Just for curiosity sake, how tight do you run your belt and do you carry IWB or OWB? I'm just wondering if perhaps it's those of us that hate tight belts that find the super stiff belts to be the serious improvement. Well and like I said in my first post I haven't had a Wilderness in hand to compare to anything so maybe it's even stiffer than what I'm used to but it doesn't sound like it.

Take care!

Luke
    I carry OWB about 9'oclock in a holster I made,I wear the belt tight enough the gun doesn't try to pull my pants down.I like the velcro adjustment as unlike belt holes I can adjust it as snug or as loose as I want without one hole being a little loose and the next hole being a little tight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links